Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Lowball Set Weights

Can someone please explain to me how lowball set weights are figured? I have tried to make sense of it and the logic still eludes me. I'm not trying to insult anyone here and I am not trying to say that any one of my lowball sets would be in a better position if they were weighted differently. I just don't quite get it, plain and simply. The lowball sets are not weighted the same as their equal high-side counterparts, so rarity of particular years or mintmarks doesn't seem to play into the weight as the only factor. Then I looked at the population count of coins graded by PCGS, the population of low grade only coins, and lastly the population of extremely low graded coins like FR02 and PO01 coins only. While I can see some influence from each area, I find no difinitive or cumulative reasoning for the weights of certain coins when compared to other coins. Does anyone have any input on this, or know what factors and to what degree each factor plays into the weight?

Greg

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I have absolutely no idea.

Heck, I don't even know how the regular set registry weights are arrived at!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I offered detailed input for the Morgan Mint Mark Lowball set weightings very early after they came out. In a nutshell, it was ignored.

My conclusion, therefore, is that lowball weights more or less follow the weights assigned to each date in the non-lowball sets.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input Dennis and Lee. At least now I don't feel so alone in the dark. I am sure there is some sort of meaning to it all, perhaps quite a few compound factors that contribute to the overall weight to varying degrees. I just though perhaps someone in the know would be able to offer insight for the betterment of all. Perhaps it is kept secret so that the system cannot be artificially manipulated by collectors.

Greg
  • Options
    coinman1889coinman1889 Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Some coins such as a certain date/mint can generate a higher registry rating as laid out in the composition score. Why? Possibly a couple reasons. First is the difficulty of the year for that coin and second could be the number of coins thus far graded to fill that spot. You would have to contact the registry and find out what they created the composition score from. Dennis explained it rather well. He offer them a basic blueprint for rating a set and they choose another route. -MWH
  • Options
    coinman1889coinman1889 Posts: 89 ✭✭
    This year (2013) in early February PCGS did in fact finalized a new revision of the rating points for many of the low ball sets. PCGS created the sets and by that set their own rating point scores. I don't agree that scarce coins from certain dates or mints are worth a single rating point while others are set much higher. These low ball sets are in a league of their own. PCGS grades them and then controls which ones are high and which ones are low points. Finding coins is not the real challenge at least from a collector's stand point. The challenge really comes from the graders. So many disqualifying issues have to be avoided so the coin can then grade. Inconsistency in grading is another issue all together. Bottom line is to keep pressing PCGS to give credit where credit is due for these type sets. MWH