Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Why no National Convention in Atlanta?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
Chicago, Baltimore, Cleveland...repeat.

Anyone know why Atlanta seems to be overlooked or excluded. I would think it would be a snap to travel here, lots to do outside of the Convention, heavily populated with other major cities not far away, Birmingham, Charlotte, etc.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I think they had a show in Atlanta one year........can't remember exactly when but if I remember it didn't go over real well.....
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    Why no C.S.I atlanta???
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they had a show in Atlanta one year........can't remember exactly when but if I remember it didn't go over real well..... >>

Its been in Atlanta before. Early 90's I think....If my memory is correct, it went very well. Packed house at the World Congress Center down by CNN. Mickey Mantle was signing autos that year.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    It was in Atlanta in 1992, most of the dealers I spoke to said more lookers that buyers. I'm not sure but it didn't seem crowded on the Saturday I went. I remember there was talk of a line around the building in Anaheim to get in 1991, 20 -30,000 people on the first day. I'm sure dealers were disappointed by the turnout in Atlanta by that comparison.

Paul

I posted these on a thread related to this topic on another forum. Interesting about the Hank Aaron projected prices.

• Options
    if they did have another show in Atlanta I'd go.....it would help me kill two birds with one stone..so to speak....I'd get to indulge in cards, cards, cards and my wife would be super happy since she could visit her sister who lives in Norcross which is a bit northeast of the city. al.
  • Options
    I don't think the venue location dictates what kind of crowd would appear. It just seems kinda weird to me that the Chicago, Baltimore, Cleveland loop is stuck in the mud. I've lived in Atlanta for well over 20 years, easy place to get in and out of, with outside things to do. Anyone know who the powers to be are on this decision, I may gin up an email and send it off.

If the meet was held while the Braves were in town, that might help things, really lots of stuff to do here. Heck, we even have some decent trout fishing just a hop, skiip and jump from Atlanta airport!!

Really not a big deal to me, just easier if I wanted to attend. I would think something like a north, south, east, west venue idea would capture more collectors, or at leat make it a bit easier for attendees. I doubt I'd ever go back to Cleveland again, and Chicago just didn't do it for me.
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    www.nsccshow.com

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Atlanta is easy to get in and out of? Not in any of my experiences. I avoid it at all costs and will drive around it if at all possible. Some of the worst mid-afternoon traffic I've ever experienced, and this is on at least a dozen occasions. I live in North Carolina, and although Atlanta is much closer, I'd rather go to Baltimore anytime.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Well, I guess we have a "no" vote from powdered water. To state that you would "drive around Atlanta" is pretty crazy, I-285 is the long, LONG way around. You have no other way to go unless you really want to get into the boonies and add untold hours to your drive. I just put on some tunes and blend, chill and go with the flow.

If you travel during rush hour in and out of the city, you will experience traffic, like any other major city. And yes, it IS easy to get in and out of the Atlanta airport, with the convention centers either nearby or a short drive north.

But, to each his own...may I suggest if visitng Boston is ever on your agenda that you take a few tranquilizers, or LA, now THAT'S traffic!!
  • Options
    Having driven to and thru Atlanta on the way to Florida several times I have to say that driving is a nightmare......almost as bad as driving to Chicago and thru Philadelphia ....... from Cleveland..... by the way does anyone know if the construction is completed in and around Chicago or is it still a mess...... it's been a few years since I've taken the trip but it was bumper to bumper most of the way.

al.
  • Options
    HuncrelanHuncrelan Posts: 216
    55, I'm with you on wanting the National to come back to Atlanta. I have lived here since 1988 and we used to have a lot of good shows. If Bob Pressley of BP Sports Collectibles was on this forum he could give you the answer. He promoted great shows in the 80's and early 90's, had Griffey Jr., Ted Williams and many other auto guest.
    I think the dealers dictate where the major shows are located, if they can't make money they refuse to setup. Most major dealers tell me that Atlanta is nice but just doesn't have the collector base of the other more established sports towns.

Paul
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    "Most major dealers tell me that Atlanta is nice but just doesn't have the collector base of the other more established sports towns."

That's a very polite way of putting it.

Wherever they hold the National a small percentage of the overall attendance will fly there. After that you need sports collectors, primarily baseball, within a few hours driving time to fill the show and spend money. The next closest baseball teams are Tampa Bay at 457 miles away and Cincinnati at 461 miles away.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the collectibles market in general is a lot smaller here in Georgia. Until a few years ago, Whitman held a large coin show off of 285 in the Cobb Galleria each year. After several events, dealers started complaining and it is now gone. I would guess that might be the same thing with sports collectibles.
  • Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    I think it has to do with a couple major issues:

1. Collector base as mentioned by many of you earlier. It is obvious that the biggest collector bases are in the biggest cities that have ties to professional sports teams, both historically and currently. Then you may ask..."What's wrong with LA and NYC?" as they certainly have the teams and the collectors, well that takes us to number two.

2. Travel issues. Dealers from the east coast would need to travel over 2000 miles to get to CA and on top of that, get their inventory there (and back). If they drove, they could haul it with them, however, if they fly, they need to ship much of it. With price of gas, driving is factored out even if the dealer was willing. The same holds true for west coast dealers who would have to travel similar distances to get to the east coast. The midwest sites (Chicago and Cleveland) offer solid collector bases, excellent facilities, and make it more affordable for east coast and west coast dealers to particiapate. Keep in mind that many collectors are willing to travel 500-1000 miles to attend the National but perhaps not over 2000. I have been blessed that I live in Michigan and can drive 330 miles to Chicago and 250 miles to Cleveland. (One of the few blessings for being a Michigander in the last decade) I drove the 600+ miles to Baltimore last summer but I would not go any further. It just happened that I spent more on gas, tolls, lodging, food, and my VIP pass than I actually spent on cards at the show.

But the National is a great time for the sports memorabilia collector and I recommend it to anyone who can get there. besides, if you are PSA Set Registry member, you are welcomed at a great PSA luncheon and get to meet lots of other collectors who often outbid you on Ebay.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if they did have another show in Atlanta I'd go.....it would help me kill two birds with one stone..so to speak....I'd get to indulge in cards, cards, cards and my wife would be super happy since she could visit her sister who lives in Norcross which is a bit northeast of the city. al. >>

This is scary! I was thinking the same exact thing but the only difference is that my wife's sister works in Norcross and lives in Buford....
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    FUNNY.....my sister in law lives somewhere off of Peachtree Industrial if I remember right....it probably doesn't help because it seems just about every other street begins or ends with the words "Peachtree"..... if you know the city you can get around relatively easy...especially if you go with my nephew, he knows the city inside and out. he owns a warehouse downtown next to Georgia Tech where he makes custom furniture and he'd run us all over the place when we were in town. And yes we did go to the Varsity!! al.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I just be selfish and make a plea for a National in Seattle? I won't be greedy and ask for it to be in Spokane but Seattle would good. I don't care if it's 3000 miles from all of the rest of you, it's a 5-hr drive for me.

So there image

Tabe
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Makes no sense to have it in Baltimore vs having it at NYC. NYC has so many more advantages over Baltimore it would take me a few weeks just to list them all. Just to name one advantage. NYC has 2 baseball teams Baltimore only has 1.

I think the National would have an even bigger turn out every year if they stuck to these big 3.

New York City
    Chicago
    Los Angeles

It might cost more to get to NYC from LA or NYC to Chicago etc etc. I for one would be more inclined to go to one in NYC vs going to Baltimore and I live closer to Baltimore then NYC.
  • Options
    The unions/teamsters have alot to do with some of the major cities such as NYC,Boston,La etc. The National Committee definitely factors in the costs. And without a doubt and dont let anyone tell you differently..one of the biggest reasons they dont come to the West coast very often is the East Coast dealers whining and crying. Funny thing is that at the last Anaheim National, most dealers who bothered to bring a decent amount of inventory did real well. Plenty of collectors with cash to spend on the West Coast. Baltimore was great last year, Chicago always comes through and Cleveland Rocks and Atlanta blows so hop on a plane and enjoy.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Atlanta has had two National shows. The dealers hated them-not enough sales.
  • Options
    Actually, considering that DC is only a stone's throw from Baltimore, Baltimore almost does have two teams. Other advantages to Baltimore: 1) Travel in and out for drivers. Driving in New York is impossible. Baltimore, not so much. 2) Expenses. Hotel rooms in New York City are expensive. VERY expensive. Restaurants in NYC are expensive. Cabs cost money too. And if you try to stay outside the city, you have the nasty part of the travel into the city. Baltimore is not nearly as expensive. And if you wanted to stay 20 miles outside of the city, you could still get to wherever you needed to be in an hour or so. Lots of Olive Gardens and Cracker Barrels and whatever in the Burbs. Also, the less money I spend on food/lodging, the more I have for stuff at a show. Of course, being from North Carolina, I think Raleigh is just about perfect for the National :-)
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Its too crowded no one goes there anymore.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, considering that DC is only a stone's throw from Baltimore, Baltimore almost does have two teams. Other advantages to Baltimore: 1) Travel in and out for drivers. Driving in New York is impossible. Baltimore, not so much. 2) Expenses. Hotel rooms in New York City are expensive. VERY expensive. Restaurants in NYC are expensive. Cabs cost money too. And if you try to stay outside the city, you have the nasty part of the travel into the city. Baltimore is not nearly as expensive. And if you wanted to stay 20 miles outside of the city, you could still get to wherever you needed to be in an hour or so. Lots of Olive Gardens and Cracker Barrels and whatever in the Burbs. Also, the less money I spend on food/lodging, the more I have for stuff at a show. Of course, being from North Carolina, I think Raleigh is just about perfect for the National :-) >>

You're complaining about NYC and suggesting Raleigh North Carolina? Here's a few things to consider about NYC (I lived there in a previous life before moving back south): If they did a show there, it probably wouldn't actually be IN the city, it would most likely be out in Queens near the airport or in one of the other boroughs or maybe even across the river in NJ. If they literally held the show downtown somewhere, then I think your complaints about hotel costs etc. would be valid. But the event could easily be staged OUTSIDE the city, so that you could enjoy all the side benefits of Manhattan without actually being in the city. NYC is the greatest city on earth and there is not a good reason to NEVER have it there. It should be part of the rotation. And there is a huge collector base in metro NYC/NJ/CT.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    +1 for Atlanta
  • Options
    I can think of only one buyer that we ship to on an ongoing basis in atlanta...
    great city, but not a strong market...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    Agree with probstein
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Probstein, where does FL rank in your sales?
  • Options
    McAdams... did you really suggest people from all over the country travel to New Jersey? I guess it just must be me. I'm just not a Northeast person. Doesn't appeal to me. My suggestion of Raleigh, btw, was with tongue planted firmly in cheek.
  • Options
    Hate to make this a border war, but most of the wealth in this country in concentrated in certain areas. Hence its needs to be "easy" to get to.
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....