Home Metal Detecting
Options

May 1, 2011: 1853 Arrows & Rays Seated Quarter

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
Sorry to hear about the snow in North Dakota. New Hampshire's weather is bad, but we've finally gotten some spring weather.

Got out today to one of the fields I've been hitting since last year. Must have dug 100 bottle caps, pull tabs and pieces of foil today. But in the middle of all that aluminum and rust came an absolute screamer of a signal. So loud I thought it was a can. Made a plug about 4-5 inches deep and it was out. At the very end of the plug looked to be the outline of a silver quarter. Probably a Washing...whaaaaaaaaaaat? Picked it up and saw the Seated figure. My first seated quarter ever! What an awesome coin. 1853 with Arrows and Rays.

Looks to be in fairly good condition, maybe VF/XF. Looks like most/all of the eagle feathers are present... however....

The reverse has some kind of weird darker color and appears to be more of a substance than toning. Should I leave as-is, or attempt a polish job? Is this something that acetone might work for?

HH all, and for you guys with snow, good weather is coming.

The button was found yesterday, but I think it's my favorite button of the year. Looks like it might be tombac.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great finds, congrats!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great finds.... try the acetone first... reagent grade..... it will not harm the coin, but will remove organics. If it does not work, let me know and we can discuss the next steps. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Awesome.

Neat "sunburst" button, too. I'll bet it's earlier than the quarter. I've found similar (though not identical) ones on late Colonial and early Federal sites.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice finds pcgs. we have good weather here in the lower new england area as well so it wont be long now image
  • Options
    thats a nice find .....
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it an 1853 over 1854? Cool find for sure!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com