Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Common goal for Registry Set owners?

Is there a common goal for Registry Set owners? Is it to simply complete a set, or or do people try to get to the top 25, 10, or 5? Just curious........
What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Comments

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My goal is mainly my Morgan Set.
    At first it was to complete the Set, now it`s to upgrade and see how high I can get ranked on this tough Set with the Big Players. image
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just trying to finish the series...

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    To complete one is probably the most common goal.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think many just treat the registry as a virtual album, with adding coins being like plugging in holes. What tpg and the registry does is allow for a more specific goal rather than something vague like having "a nice coin" for each hole. You can have goals such as having all your coins be some grade or above, or a certain total gpa, or if you like, a certain rank among other sets. >>

That was my thinking, mostly to be a virtual album so I could keep track of and view my set all together. But even more than that, it's a virtual album I can share with the world while my real coins are locked away safely in the bank. Sure, the competition can be fun for some and I am lucky enough to have a #1 set which has received a few awards. However, I also know that there are many collectors out there with much larger bankrolls than I have who could easily take that #1 from me if they chose to work on the same set.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started out the Kennedy half complete series thinking it would be a breeze to sail to the Number One spot. Boy, was I wrong! But, however, comma, I have gained some things much more valuable.

I have met and become friends with some really nice people, with not an a--hole among them, and while we enjoy the friendly spirit of competition, we also trade pieces back and forth and I don't think anyone ever thinks, "Will I sink in rank if I sell him these coins?"

I have learned that people, at least in my area, are generous with their knowledge and expertise. And I have learned a ton about varieties through my own studies, and have learned the virtues of patience and persistence.

I have also learned that Todd Pollock takes some really good photos, so now my virtual album, besides being a study guide for other variety collectors, shows my beauties to much better advantage than I ever could.

Dang, I think I'm about to burst into a verse of "God Bless America." Time for beer.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have met and become friends with some really nice people, with not an a--hole among them, and while we enjoy the friendly spirit of competition, we also trade pieces back and forth and I don't think anyone ever thinks, "Will I sink in rank if I sell him these coins?"

I have learned that people, at least in my area, are generous with their knowledge and expertise. And I have learned a ton about varieties through my own studies, and have learned the virtues of patience and persistence. >>

Same thing with my 1909 set... met a few great people through the Registry (and also this forum) as I built my set and was given several leads and offers of coins from my supposed "competitors." I've also traded several coins to "competitors" as I've upgraded coins. Definitely some great and generous people on the Registry.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have met and become friends with some really nice people, with not an a--hole among them, and while we enjoy the friendly spirit of competition, we also trade pieces back and forth and I don't think anyone ever thinks, "Will I sink in rank if I sell him these coins?"

I have learned that people, at least in my area, are generous with their knowledge and expertise. And I have learned a ton about varieties through my own studies, and have learned the virtues of patience and persistence. >>

Same thing with my 1909 set... met a few great people through the Registry (and also this forum) as I built my set and was given several leads and offers of coins from my supposed "competitors." I've also traded several coins to "competitors" as I've upgraded coins. Definitely some great and generous people on the Registry. >>

And a beautiful set it is illini420! Best Regards, George
  • Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>I started out the Kennedy half complete series thinking it would be a breeze to sail to the Number One spot. Boy, was I wrong! But, however, comma, I have gained some things much more valuable. >>

Collect Kennedy Halves? image

Save your money, buy a real coin like a bald headed Franklin, at least you will have the silver value! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I started out the Kennedy half complete series thinking it would be a breeze to sail to the Number One spot. Boy, was I wrong! But, however, comma, I have gained some things much more valuable. >>

Collect Kennedy Halves? image

Save your money, buy a real coin like a bald headed Franklin, at least you will have the silver value! image >>

imageimage
  • Options
    I know that the top spot is effectively unattainable, so my goals largely involve completng the set. I'm working on the 12 coin gold type set, Peace dollars, and Indian quarter eagles. The last has several NGC examples including the 1911-D key, so I probably won't finish that particular set here, unless I had a reason to get a better 1911-D than the one I already have, and one that happened to be PCGS-graded. I am also n the side participating in sets I know I'll probably neverr finish, like the Everyman $3 gold, largely for the same reason people climb mountains--because they are there.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Like most, it's to finish the set. Luckily, the sets I collect are mostly finished. Once that happens, then its upgrades until it comes to a point where it becomes too expensive. Sure, I'd like to be number one, but I don't have the cash. I'll be happy with whatever number I stop at. Once that happens, I find something new to start. image
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to break the top 20 with this set.

I'll never complete it but slow and steady will get me in the top 20.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get the Varieties, Get the Keys, Top 5 Would Be Nice.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Priorities change over time. My early goals changed a lot from later goals. The longer you are in it, the more likely you are to fill holes and upgrade and before you know it, old goals give ways to new ones, and you tend to have higher aspirations.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get my type set at least 90% complete and into the Top 10 before retiring it. I'm 4 years into it and probably have another 6 or so to go.

• Options
    IMHO it depends on the series. Certain series will be nearly impossible to complete unless you have really deep pockets. On the other hand it will be extremely difficult to have a set break the top 10 in the series unless you have deep pockets. It all comes down to which series and deep pockets.

Tom
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of holes to fill and it makes for a nice place to keep track of them. Text
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To complete one is probably the most common goal. >>

• Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    I can't speak for others, but for me my first goal was to complete a set. Once a set was completed, I started to work on completing another set. Eventually, goals of completion were replaced with goals of upgrading.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I just try to complete a set. But there are some that I am trying for the top spot which is possible with some of my coins.
  • Options
    docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I do it for fun. Upgrading a coin is great, but "making" a high grade coin is a real pleasure. Nearly impossible for Washing quarters 32-64, but possible for the 65-98 series.
  • Options
    After going as far as I reasonably with a "modern" series, Kennedy halves, I decided to try a World coin series, quite a bit older and frankly with more character. Also the possibility of snagging a bargain along with way: British sovereigns.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    To complete my US type set. Its a very long term goal though. I still dont understand why the Half Disme and Gobrecht dollar are part of the set considering they are patterns.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>To complete my US type set. Its a very long term goal though. I still dont understand why the Half Disme and Gobrecht dollar are part of the set considering they are patterns. >>

And you have to get 2 Gobrecht's! That's really odd.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm working on Lowball commems. My first goal was to complete the set. My second goal is to downgrade as low as possible. PO01 would be the untimate grade for me. Searching for these pocketpieces is half the fun.