Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

New pieces added to my rediculous collection today...

For the first time in 21 years... Chris Sabo did a signing at a card show today. Needlesstosay, I WAS READY!
Chris, Mike Leake, and Sam LeCure all signed at a show in Cincy today.

This was the second time I've ever met Chris in person, the first being at Great American Ballpark last year during his Reds HOF induction.
He wasn't signing that day, just shaking hands and saying "Hi." So this was my first in-person signing.

The hardest part for me was trying to decide what to have signed! I already have somewhere around 50-75 auto's maybe more, but nothing I'VE obtained myself.
Already have a signed bat... signed ball... (7) signed baseballs, a signed/cancelled personal check, signed poloroid, COUNTLESS signed magazines, MANY MANY signed cards... so it wasn't an easy decision.

Well... I finally settled on a few cards, nothing exotic. I did choose some of his rarer singles though. I figured I might as well go with a few good ones!

Up first... a '93 Finest Refractor.

Next, an '88 Kahn's. TUFF card to find!

Next... nothing too special, just an '05 Topps Rookie Cup. Thought it would look nice with an Auto on it.

Next, an '05 Topps Rookie Cup Rookie Reprint Refractor #'d 8 of 15. (I said rare!)

Now... one of his (3) GU'd cards. This one a parallel. '04 Bazooka GU'd bat, this one #'d 01 of 25!

Lastly, this is a card that my wife had made for me after last year's encounter. Yep, that's my ugly mug next to Chris!
She surprised me with the card. She snapped the pick at the HOF Museum, and sent it off to Topps to have made into what you see.
She choose the '75 Topps profile knowing I love that set so much.
Chris was particularly inquisitive about this card... after all, he'd never seen one like it before!

Guy still looks great! Not doing much for the sport of baseball today, just working on his golf game. image

He was REALLY nice. My wife and I had a nice conversation with him... twice actually. (We went back to get a picture and shoot the bull some more towards the end of his time-slot.)

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

Comments

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    nice job...wish I had known about this as I have his 1994 Orioles GU batting helmet that I would have loved to get signed

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Knowing you are a SICK Sabo fan ... CONGRATS! Nice to see someone that's really a FAN. Is the "Chris Sabo one item per day for a year" thread up next?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a wonderful day!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Fun stuff! You picked a great selection of cards to get auto'ed.

Great job!
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Knowing you are a SICK Sabo fan ... CONGRATS! Nice to see someone that's really a FAN. Is the "Chris Sabo one item per day for a year" thread up next? >>

I second this !!!!

Great items --- congrats
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Awesome and that's exactly what's great about our hobby. The ultimate auto!
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    How much was Chris charging? Happy to hear you had a great time.
  • onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    "How much was Chris charging? Happy to hear you had a great time. "

$25 an auto. Leake was a bargain at $15 and LeCure was just $10.

Hmmmm... not sure I have the time/patience to do a similar thread w/ Sabo that thekid did with Carter.
    Don't get me wrong, I have plenty to share! But I doubt I could find time everyday to post.

I did a thread a few years covering my entire collection... it's over-due for a re-visit. My collection has grown tremendously since then.
    Maybe I'll be a mult. post update to it. By the time I'm done, you'll be shocked/amazed/disgusted! image

Someday... I just need to round everything up!

Today was a GREAT day btw!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of "yours" Russ.

You're a REAL collector!!!

Thanx.
    Mike
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Knowing you are a SICK Sabo fan ... CONGRATS! Nice to see someone that's really a FAN. Is the "Chris Sabo one item per day for a year" thread up next? >>

I second this !!!!
    Great items --- congrats >>

HAHAHAHAHA ... have to give BOTH of you guys a lot of credit ... you are two real true FANS! It's so much fun to watch others enjoy this HOBBY of ours ... and not treat it just like a business.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Did you tell him about your collection? Does he know fo your obsession? I am always curious to find out player's responses to dedicated collectors.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

+1 for being a real fan!
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    This is awesome. I remember when you showed us all the pic of the two of you, but I don't recall seeing the card your wife made. Awesome that you got in some person autos, especially the custom with the two of you.
  • MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    My friend has a 94 finest Sabo refractor that he pulled from a pack that he will be subbing to psa in the near future. Should I have him contact you when he gets it back?
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ, Great stuff thanks for sharing.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON