Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Newest custom: Tragic Orioles player Tom Gastall

I've been meaning to complete this tribute card to an Orioles bonus baby who died tragically in 1956.

There are several good articles about his lfe and death on the internet; give it a google.

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nice card Bob. Never heard of Mr. Gastall, so looked him up. What a sad story. Nice how you captured the Pilot part of his life on the card. Interesting to find out that the NFL LIONS also drafted him out of College.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Sad story but a nice tribute card of him. The other Doug
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Thought I'd share this very rare autographed postcard from Mr. Gastall from my collection (signed in June of 1956)....I purchased this at the old Fort Washington (PA) show probably 20 years ago from Tom Reid (if anyone remembers him).....Since Gastall's untimely death, it has been said that a curse had been placed on the Orioles since they haven't developed a great catcher since then..Hopefully, Matt Weiters can break that...

Enjoy!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Whoa!

If Gastall's story isn't bizarre enough, check this out:

Tragically, the quarterback that preceded Gastall at Boston University, Harry Agganis, died suddenly on June 27 at the age of 26. Like Gastall, Agganis became a major league baseball player, batting .261 in 157 games with the Red Sox in 1954-55 before a massive pulmonary embolism (blood clot in layman’s terms) claimed his life.

Thanks Bob! This is what I love so much about the message boards!
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    That's a great postcard. I remember Tom Reid very well; he was one of my favorite dealer/collectors in the East.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob, another fantastic looking card...image

Love your creations...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • I remember tom r very well as well. In my pre-Beckett days, he was a primary "mentor" of mine as a dealer and I learned a ton from him before I moved to Dallas.

FYI --- he passed on in 2001 and his funeral was actually the week before 9/11 --- brings back memories of him between Bob's post and the events of last night.

Regards
    Rich Klein

Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!