Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bank Teller Find.

I was at my local branch today and asked the teller about halves. She had 10 in her drawer of which 6 were 40% silver. She started asking me about coins. Her mother was a retired teller and had pulled out silver until she retired in 1978. She said her mother had taken all of her coins to a local jewler. He offered her $3000.00. He had told her it was only 70% silver. She was afraid he was cheating her so she did not sell. The way she has described the coins, they are Franklins and Morgans. But she said there were some dollars that had a person sitting down. She also has 90 dollars worth of quaters that a customer brought in in the early sixties. They were wrapped in tissue paper. She said they are all tarnished and were all in the 20's and early 30's. She asked if I could look at the collection and see if anything special is there. Hope to see them when I get back from a business trip in 2 weeks.image

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat story! Hope it works out for ya!
  • Options
    Let us know how it works out for you.
    I'm curious now!!!
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    I know some times older people don't quite get it, the dealer probably said the circulated worn Morgans had about 70% of an ounce in them, you never know as I have seem this scenario played out many a times.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, let us know what happens.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    also who knows when the mother tried to sell them.. maybe silver was only
    several dollars an ounce at the time thus 3K might be in the right ball park for
    an offer to buy.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe silver was only several dollars an ounce at the time thus 3K might be in the right ball park for
    an offer to buy.

Maybe so fc, but it wasn't 70% silver either way. That being the case, and the comment about a seated dollar makes me think that she was wise not to sell until she could find out better what she really has.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let us know how it works out for you.
    I'm curious now!!! >>

no kidding about that. im curious on whats in there to now
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Don't they give bank tellers a little booky with pictures of every thing that counts?

AS for coins with people sitting down - could be trade $$ too- probably fake or stolen property.
  • Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭

<< <i> He offered her $3000.00. He had told her it was only 70% silver. She was afraid he was cheating her so she did not sell. >>

70% silver?? .....image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file