Home U.S. Coin Forum

1818 Large Cent clip and defective planchet

GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just picked this one up a couple days ago. This is the oldest error I have, if it is actually an error.
It is too worn for me to tell for sure if this is a genuine clip. What do you think?
I belive the planchet defect is real. Please tell me if I'm wrong.
Do you think this combination will have a premium, or make it worth less, and how common are these?
Sorry for all the questions, but this is my oldest u.s. coin that I have and
unfortunately I don't know much about it. Thanks

Comments

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The clip looks good to me though it is hard to tell in that grade. The obverse rim looks weaker at the center of the clip, which is a good sign; I wish more of the reverse rim was there too. The small planchet crack definitely looks real also.

I have a clip for the date in a much higher grade, and there's an nice example with a rim clip which has been cycling on eBay recently without selling. For the type the 1818 and 1820 are the most commonly dates found with clips, at least in the earlier date range.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    What seanq said and it's a rather common variety Newcomb-6 with
    those die cracks through ED to bottom ST over to O(F). Perhaps
    late die state.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, the eBay coin I referenced in my reply above just popped up again. I have no affiliation with the seller, just posting it for reference.

I also found an old image of my example, which happens to be from the same die pair as the OP (see the die cracks on the reverse under STATES):

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file