Home Sports Talk

I wonder if we're "Real" in 2011.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Cleveland Indians appears to be off to a running start this year while other more affluent and supposedly talented teams are standing still or trodding through quicksand. This marks perhaps the fifth season since renovation of the franchise in the early 1990's that a minimalist approach to winning Baseball has apparently proved successful for a decidedly small market. The Tribe's most recent runs have been thwarted by either injury or abandonment by proven veterans. The one which sticks out most for me is C.C. Sabathia who left to "win it all" elsewhere when what he really needed to do was step up against Boston a few years ago to grab the ring with the Indians, but I digress and turn my attention to this new group of hungry unknowns who are starting to play competitively.

Things started to turn around in Cleveland when the entire Farm System and organization of same was revamped starting in the early 1990's and culminating in the last few years with a switch back to Arizona for Spring Training. Currently all three levels of Minor League play are located within a few hours of the big league club which allows easy shuffling and observation as well as access to the facilities at the Jake to everyone as needed. Pitching prospects and young position players are starting to prove themselves, but the season is young.

Last year was a case of injuries to key players and luck------------too much of one and not enough of the other!!! I truly believe that those two factors shape the season at the Major League level for most teams. With the Cleveland Indians in 2011 it will be a simple formula; with the day-to-day position players be able to stay healthy and will the young pitchers be able to make it through the sometimes grueling summer without wearing out?? Thus far a short beginning the plan seems clear. There are enough horses in the stable to let someone sit when they're cold, players can be kept close by in the bushes while they play day to day and the bullpen(the only real experienced group) seems capable of allowing the young starters to rest after only 6-7 innings of work.

I'm encouraged but not overly excited. The "experts" and most dedicated fans looked for a good year, one with improvement and perhaps contention, but 2012 was what we all were looking forward to. I for one am pleasantly surprised so far.

Al H.

Comments

• alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I've been wanting to start a thread for the tribe but was scared it would start them down the road of dispair.....hopefully they continue their winning ways...and who wouldn't love last nights game...unless you are a tiger fan. Go INDIANS!!!!! al. this may be a first two Al's in a row
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    keets - that division is wide open this year, I think the Indians have as much a chance as anybody. Sizemore looks like he's back in top form, Hafner is showing signs of life, and I don't think it is a coincidence that OC always seems to find his way onto winning teams. The scary thing is Santana and Choo aren't really hitting yet, either. I don't think they are going away.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sizemore looks like he's back in top form, Hafner is showing signs of life, and I don't think it is a coincidence that OC always seems to find his way onto winning teams. The scary thing is Santana and Choo aren't really hitting yet, either.

all good points. Hafner hasn't been 100% since his hand was broken in September of 2007 and the main reason the potential of 2008 forward was split up was due to injuries. when Santana and Sizemore went down last year it was a punch to the gut and i bet many, many loyalists thought "Here we go again!!" with Choo, well, i think it's a foregone conclusion that he'll hit, i just wonder how long the team can hold onto him. you mentioned OC and i think you should mention both of them; AC always seems to be in the thick of things, too. perhaps they need a whole starting lineup of Cabrera's.
  • lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    I too wanted to start a thread and didn't because I didn't want to jinx it. But let me just say, the division is struggling.....and the Tribe seems to just expect to win every game. They are having fun and the injured players (Grady and Pronk) are starting to come back. I think if they can put a bit of space between them and the rest of the division they have a shot! It is a long season. Any team that stays away from injuries and long losing streaks will be in it in the end. Shades of the 90's around Cleveland? Hope so......go Tribe!
    Holy Crap, OC's in the middle of it again!!!! way to go Tribe.image
    Best April in their history....hopefully they keep this going...on a card related note it was weird in that oneof the packs of Heritage I opened on Friday contained both of the Cabreras....maybe it was a sign!!!! image
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking good so far. Another series, another sweep.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Cabrera sure looks to be a HUGE signing for them.

I'll be there on the 12th with our daughter. They have some weather class thing there for school and then we get to go to the game.

My wife, kids, and I will all be at the game on the 13th.....Dollar dog nite and fireworks! Just snagged 5 bleacher seats in the 3rd row with Terrace Club passes for 60.00.
    my son went to Friday's game...awesome game.....my daughter is also wanting to go to a game but I'm still fair weather fan...it needs to warm up some more before I go down there.....al.
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Man, I really hope so. I know it's very early in the season still, but I happened to place a bet on them to win it all at Bally's this past super bowl, at a very nice 150:1.image
    Good luck on the bet....even a $10 bet would return nicely.....
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Yep, that's why I did $20image

Also took the Steelers (Lost), the Sabres (Lost), the Bengals (not likely), the Bills (even less likely), and the Buckeyes for BCS (maybe?).

Right now I'm hanging on with hope.
    I had a $20 bet on the Indians back in the year when they blew the series against the Red Sox......I had them as American champs.....don't remember what the odds were that year but I was pissed when the sox rallied the last three games.
    tough game last night, two bad pitches really cost Tomlin but after seven in a row maybe the Team can relax and start to build another on todays win. three players from today are pushing themselves to the front; OC and Hannahan always seem to be in the middle of what's happening on the bases and Chris Perez is proving to be the real deal. he isn't untouchable but he always gets things wrapped up, something his predessecor just couldn't seem to do.

Go Tribe!!!imageimage
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    As with any team, the Tribe must continue to dominate with pitching. If they have it, they have the offense to keep winning. KC/Balt have been the same way over the past few years. I knew the shload of prospects they got in return for Sabathia/Lee/Blake/Martinez would have to come to fruition some time, and Acta seems to quite know what he is doing. Even tho I'm a Tiger fan, I do love a case of the comebacks!! Just as long as the idiotic WSox lose every game they play, I'm good!!!
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just as long as the idiotic WSox lose every game they play, I'm good!!! >>

Thank you for not saying the Twins!
    i suspect that the dislike for the ChiSox might have something to do with the manager.image
    Manager yes, and the rest of the tools..... Buehrle=tool, AJ= incredible douchebag, Hawk&Stone= monumentally idiotic and annoying and the rest are just crybabies. One of my favorite things in the world to do is get home from work and see that the Sox lost, then tune in my MLB.TV and listen to the depressed calls of 'Hawk' and giggle like a crazed lunatic! It saddened me when Hawk was absent for the Liriano-no!!

But I have no problem being beaten by good baseball which the Twins normally display healthy or not. And I can deal with the 3 game sweep our Tigers were handed by the clearly improved Tribe. This will be an interesting division and may the best team truly win!!!
    another extra inning affair!! who stayed up till the end, i went to bed after 12:30 in the middle of the tenth. to be honest, Cleveland was fortunate to take it past the ninth and they always seem to have a hard time with the Angels. good game and Torii Hunter is a tough player.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    what a game last night!

Walk off HR by Hafner. I took the whole family and we sat in the 3rd row of the bleachers.

Perfect weather and a perfect ending.
    Goose, good choice of a game to be at!!!image

i haven't even been able to even listen to a game on the radio all week but it appears that Tampa Bay extracted a measure of revenge for that string of losses at the Jake. what is it about these Florida teams playing so good on the road but sort of sucking at home, first it was the Dolphins and now the Rays?? i have two questions...........................

1.) what's the word on Sizemore??
    2.) will Acta sit Choo for awhile and let him get his head together??

Another sweep.......albeit a 2 game.
    Grady went on the DL.....will be out until completely healed from what the Cleveland Plain Dealer says.....guess he can hit and run alright but cannot play outfield and make necesary cuts and moves out there......it's awesome that Buck has replaced him in lineup and done nothing but hit.....could be one of those weird years......GO TRIBE!!!!!!!!!
    It figures, I make mention of the Indians and they get shut out.....although Peavy pitched a heck of a game yesterday for the White Sox.......too bad for Masterson
    finally beat the Reds a few times, they've playesd the Tribe tough the past few years. it looks like the White Sox will be the team we have trouble with this year, can't seem to figure out a way to be them yet. oh well, what else is new!!
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    Really nice win last night. AstroCab is smokin hot!
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    cleveland PD says Grady may be back this weekend.......more help on the way....... GO TRIBE al.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<AstroCab is smokin hot!>>>

Is that his nickname in Cleveland?....me and my buddies have a slightly different version....a$$ dribble.

I will say he is quickly rising up the ranks of top SS in the league though....I'd take him on my team any day.
    Indians have had a way to trade for shortstops since the early 90's....they got Vizquel for Felix Fermin and they got Astrubal for Eduardo Perez....who is not too bad as an announcer now.
    well, the last two weeks have answered my original question with a resounding THUD!!!!image

it's hard to tell exactly what happened but it hasn't been pretty. sometimes it's pitching that falters, sometimes hitting and sometimes fielding...........................this has been all three at once and what looked to be a promising season of surprises is getting very ugly. at the top of my list are two things-----Carmona needs to be sent somewhere, anywhere, until he can figure out what he's trying to do and where the strikezone is at(a clue: above that white thing in front of your catcher is where you should be aiming) and the hitters need to figure out something, anything. this is on the verge of a complete collapse.

Ugh.....we get decent starting pitching and can't score any runs.....we score some runs and the pitching falters......close games and the youth shows up with stupid errors to cost us the game. It goes on and on. Never thought losing Hafner would hurt as bad as it has. No power, no clutch hitting. The season is a marathon. They better figure something out, because the lineup they have now has way too many holes in it. Right now they just can't compete with the upper tier teams in the league, (and lower tier as well). Oh well, just have to hope they can figure things out before they fall too far off the pace.
    Well I sure am glad my Tigers are enjoying 1 day in 1st place with y'all!! Dunno how long it will last, but I think we will see when we meet at our place for a few battle royales this coming week!!! No sweep this time!! Bring it on, baby!!
    I don't think anyone would be in an uproar if Fausto took his game to South Beach........
    Carmona has absolutely no idea of where the ball will go when he lets go, none. the same thing happened last year or the year before and he ended up in Akron for a short while. the team and press likes to say it's because "there's so much movement" on his pitches, but i think that's just a load of crap. the guy needs to get his head right.
    Looks like Carmona was a flash in the pan in 2007 as he has done NOTHING since. Kinda amazing that a pitcher leading the league in losses is playing for a first place team...... Maybe he needs a hug....or a drug
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    June Swoon
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items