Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why are the 28 coin 2008 satin unc. mint sets $45+ ???

Why are the 28 coin satin finished uncirculated D+P mint sets selling for $45-$50??

What is driving it??

Comments

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Demand?
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Demand? >>

These things usually never sell at a post market premium.

What is driving this set??
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    chock full of dollars ?
  • Options
    .... isn't that why the government printed up trillions of dollars ? So you could afford the mint offerings image
  • Options
    you can get two for under a hundy

I'll take one on eBay for less than the issue price, Alex ! (Today's Jeopardy category)
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they are blaming it on the high oil prices and the production of the fancy packaging? Even though there are a couple of coins I would not mind owning from them, I have not bought from the mint since 2003 I think.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Fall of 2008, the Mint cut off sales of Proof and Mint Sets early, in October IIRC. I was working at the coin shop at the time, and it left us in the lurch because we had not made our order of Mint product for Christmas sales yet. Other dealers were caught the same way, and the prices went up on them.

I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the huge demand for silver eagles, with the Mint redirecting resources to producing them, or the general review of coin inventories that the Mint and the Fed did around that time that resulted in drastic reductions of coin production in 2009.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file