Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1969 baseball supers.....any experts ???

Hi, was looking to pick up a mantle psa 8 or 9....were these really tough in higher grades and are they considered scarce???? saw one in an auction for a starting bid of 500 for a psa 9....is this in the ballpark ?? thanks for any help...ivan
always looking for 1969 graded basketball

Comments

• Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Don't know if I'm an expert, but here is what I know:

The 1969 Supers were a limited release issue and relatively few found their way directly into collector's hands. They are not rare, and pop up occasionally in the big auctions. Due to heavy stock, rounded corners, and the distribution method (whatever that was) most cards are very high grade. There are more 8s, 9s and 10s than lower grades.

A PSA 9 Mantle should run $2k or a little less. Hope this helps.

John
    Wondo

• Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    ty for your time and help.ivan
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Don't know if I'm an expert, but here is what I know:

The 1969 Supers were a limited release issue and relatively few found their way directly into collector's hands. They are not rare, and pop up occasionally in the big auctions. Due to heavy stock, rounded corners, and the distribution method (whatever that was) most cards are very high grade. There are more 8s, 9s and 10s than lower grades.

John >>

John, you know more than 90% of us! image

rd
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

I believe a 9 Mantle grade just sold in Heritage's Collector's Classic auction.

not rare but somewhat scarce
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Ivan -- I've owned a number of these over the years. Because of the means of distribution, and the fact that many that are in collections went directly into collector's hands at the time of release, or in subsequent years through Fitsch. With rounded corners and no borders, it is actually quite difficult to find examples from this set in below NM/MT condition. Most cards that did survive happened to do so in really high grade condition.

They're beautiful cards; Mantle is obviously the key to the set, along with the Jackson rookie. The Mays is impossible to find in GEM condition because of a print cloud on nearly every example, but tracking down a Mantle in 8/9 condition should not be too hard. It's simply a matter of how much you are (or are not) willing to spend-

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Dont forget the Rose. Rose is VERY popular and VERY expensive in this set as well.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't know if I'm an expert, but here is what I know:

John >>

John, you know more than 90% of us! image

rd >>

Bob,

Those are kind words, my friend, but, I think 90% of the folks are ahead of me! image Anyway, the 69 super set is one of my favorites - I put together (really merged some sets and filled a few holes) a few years ago............Wondo's Set. Marc is right on, there are no perfect Mays cards - Jackson and Rose are real popular and expensive. The Seaver, BRobinson and McCovey are extra tough - the Freehan is one of my favorites.

Edited to be a freakin' pompous showoff.
    Wondo

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    John ... just looked at your set .... AMAZING!!!!!! Congrats. It's something that the majority of the value of that entire set lies in two cards ... Mantle and Clemente.

It's also surprising to know that your favorite card in the set is one of the cheapest as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Round corner cards are not rare at all, and many are found in mid to high grade. They survive well today because IMO kids usually werent the first owners unlike the regular Topps issued cards.
    The square corner cards are much scarce and can be thought of as rare.
    Best card should be the Jackson rookie, But "Bronx Baby Boomers" will always hype the overrated Mantle in any set and it will take many years for it to drop back to reality image.