Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Exacerbated Demand for Quality?

Quality normally captures strong money, but does this seem to have been exacerbated recently?

Is it possible that the recent rise in gold and silver has made the flight to quality even more pervasive and pricey?

Are we seeing the beginnings of an exacerbated bi-modal distribution of wealth and collecting patterns in Numistmatics, due to rise in base metal prices, the increasing frequency (and quality) of Chinese counterfeits, and other factors?

Or is this exacerbated demand for quality simply a cyclical phenomenom?

Or none of the above?

Comments

• Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    1) Yes.

2) I don't know.

3) Definitely.

4) All phenomena are cyclical, including this one.

5) No.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to overpay for quality? Absolutely! You won't know it until it's time to sell and then you'll discover you're buried in the coin. Pay a premium for quality buy don't get ridiculous.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1) Yes.

2) I don't know.

3) Definitely.

4) All phenomena are cyclical, including this one.

5) No. >>

I should have created this thread as a poll. image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, just global internet demand.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Same as it ever was.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    What's so bad about this? Last I checked, exacerbate means to make something bad worse.

And what has this to do with "bi-modal distribution or wealth". Wealth is distributed to two dominant modes? A bimodal distribution is like a normal distribution except with two peaks. Where are the two peaks?

Lots of big words strung together seem to be obfuscating the meaning of your post.

In person are you a buzzword buzzsaw?

--Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>Same as it ever was. >>

Would that be once in a lifetime then?
  • Options

<< <i>

Would that be once in a lifetime then? >>

You might ask yourself....

Good question about the Twin Peaks of the bimodal distribution, even if the answer is obvious.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Good question about the Twin Peaks of the bimodal distribution, even if the answer is obvious. >>

This is not my beautiful wife.

You mean it is obvious what he is trying to say? I assume that is that he was trying to say "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer"? My dad used to say that. He has a 10th grade education. He is also always clear in what he is saying.

--Jerry
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Last I checked, exacerbate means to make something bad worse. >>

I think he meant "exaggerate".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great questions. I know upgrading was never cheap and I'm still in the bowels of dreck and schlock.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>
    1)Quality normally captures strong money, but does this seem to have been exacerbated recently?

2) Is it possible that the recent rise in gold and silver has made the flight to quality even more pervasive and pricey?

3) Are we seeing the beginnings of an exacerbated bi-modal distribution of wealth and collecting patterns in Numistmatics, due to rise in base metal prices, the increasing frequency (and quality) of Chinese counterfeits, and other factors?

4) Or is this exacerbated demand for quality simply a cyclical phenomenom?

Or none of the above? >>

1) A bit more. The rising stock market does mean that the wealthy have more money for their hobbies, and has likely resulted in strong hammer prices at auction for select pieces.

2) No. Dreck in the form of 90% silver culls and widgets as in common MS64 Morgans are having their best day in the sun in decades, and have outperformed 98% of quality coins and key date coins in the past year or two.

3) Beginnings? No, it has been that way for a decade or more. A lot of folks are concerned about wealth distribution. However, when 1/3 of the American population saves nothing and lives beyond their means with monthly credit card balances, they will never accumulate any wealth, no matter how much money is given to them via wealth distribution or other social schemes. The government could write that 1/3 with poor money habits, a check for $100,000 each, and in a short time 90% will have spent all of it, and be in debt again, back to zero net worth. Combine that effect with the top performer reward system where top performers now get many more multiples of what average folks get in various industries. This gets most press for CEOs, but it is also now more true in acting, sales, computer programmers, and any number of industries. For example two decades ago, there was a "middle class" of actors, but more and more it is scale or top dollar and fewer and fewer in between rates.

4) There are cycles. Quality always sells for more, how much more depends on the cycle. Some folks get buried because they pay up for average coins. In a recent Legend report, they observed that 85% of their customers offering coins to sell to Legend, did not have the grading chops to play the quality game at auction. Take that as a cautionary tale, and probably indicative of the overall collector base. Most collectors are doing well if they get the base grade correct, most can not tell high end from low end within a given grade. For these 85% of collectors the quality game is a fools game with that collector in the title role.

• Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's so bad about this? Last I checked, exacerbate means to make something bad worse.

And what has this to do with "bi-modal distribution or wealth". Wealth is distributed to two dominant modes? A bimodal distribution is like a normal distribution except with two peaks. Where are the two peaks?

Lots of big words strung together seem to be obfuscating the meaning of your post.

In person are you a buzzword buzzsaw?

--Jerry >>

Great questions, Jerry and I should have provided more clarity to what I meant. I was up early and didn't have any coffee yet. image

I didn't mean to quantitatively describe the "two peaks," but rather just raise the concept qualitatively.

When the price of quality goes up disproportionately, that makes it more difficult for the average Joe to "get in the game."

That's "bad" for the average Joe, but has little effect on the folks living in the "peak" the right of the mean.

In a normal distribution the average Joe would be centered about the mean, but now the average Joe would seem to be to the left of the mean.

So, we may have two classes of coin collecters evolving. Lower quality Ebay dreck collectors and top-shelf Heritage buyers.

It's always been this way to a certain extent, but the distribution imbalances may be becoming exacerbated?

The middle-ground may be shrinking, as it is elsewhere in our Society.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    It's been fun. For example, I had a pair of 1798 Half Eagles in the last 60 days or so, the first ones I've had in a while and both are now in longer term investment collections and won't be back on the market for a long time.

If I gave you my want list you'd think you hit the lottery. Trouble is filling that want list so the initial excitement dies down pretty quickly.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cameron,
    <<Are we seeing the beginnings of an exacerbated bi-modal distribution of wealth and collecting patterns in Numistmatics, due to rise in base metal prices, the increasing frequency (and quality) of Chinese counterfeits, and other factors?>>
    and one pervasive, one cyclical phenonomomomomom along with three exacerbateds..in one thread.....

You had to have wrote for Greenspan.image
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread gave me a headache.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread gave me a headache.

image >>

Here ya go Mark

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....wheres anaconda when ya need him...
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.....wheres anaconda when ya need him... >>

I don't need another headache.image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Good question about the Twin Peaks of the bimodal distribution, even if the answer is obvious. >>

This is not my beautiful wife.

You mean it is obvious what he is trying to say? I assume that is that he was trying to say "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer"? My dad used to say that. He has a 10th grade education. He is also always clear in what he is saying.

--Jerry >>

"Talking Heads" ?

What do I win?

Joe

Same as it ever was

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file