Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1940 Lincoln Proof......I tried but, no luck

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
The original thread is here. I soaked it in acetone and nothing happened
It still has that snowflake effect. But still a great looking proof, too bad it will probably body bagimage

So here is my best image I can do of it.

Tilted slightly as to see the problem

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i consider the coin wouldd BB for questionable color and environmental damage. the "snowflake effect" you mentioned appears to be corrosion which has etched the surface of the coin, something which is all too common with Proof Jefferson Nickels from 1940-1941. perhaps it's the result of being struck with rusted/corroded dies or maybe just poor storage over the years. i currently have a 1952 Proof Jefferson that a member sent to me for evaluation and it looks the same; he thought it may have been something which could be removed, but if you examine the coin very closely you'll see that it is clearly "IN" the coin and not "ON" the coin.

-----BTW, i missed yesterday's thread. those pictures should have been enough to ID the problem as other members apparently did for you.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear Stef. It still is an interesting piece. Do you plan on submitting it regardless of the fear of the BB?
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    At least now you know that it is not a PVC problem.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least now you know that it is not a PVC problem.

actually, it's possible that PVC was the cause since active PVC seen as green slime in the other thread was still present on the coin. with the acetone rinsing it is apparently gone so will cause no further damage.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a frosted proof to me.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Are the colors in the image an accurate representation of the coin in hand?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file