Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Second Jefferson NEWP in a while (new pictures)

mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
Been slowing down, but picked this up last week.

1940 Proof R38. Very happy to have picked this up.

How about another one?

Comments

• Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    I am going to guess R38 means reverse of a 1938 Jefferson? But truely a beautiful coin. Congratulations on the pick up.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very very nice! Two side frosted examples are very difficult to find!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Very nice example, not much haze which is so common on the early Jeff proofs. I'll guess PR67 and very solid for the grade.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've slowed WAY down (no new coins for me).........................Nice coin mingot! image
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that!!
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    now that is hammered!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC PF67 is what i'd grade yours, very nice coin. my PCGS graded counterpart is below. though the strike on your coin is silghtly weak and shows unstruck planchet flaws on the jawline is remains silky smooth, the result of the low number struck from die(s) and some very attentive preservation over the years. the reason i say die(s) is because i've always wondered if both Obv. and Rev. dies were swapped out at the same time. my personal estimate for this variety is right around 1,000 coins and possibly fewer, but certainly enough to make a diagnostic study of the Obverse die possible for anyone with the where-with-all to do so. a group of R.38 coins could have their characteristics noted for comparison to a larger group of R.40 coins to see if any match. my hunch is that both dies were changed at the same time.

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto the PR67. Nice one!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here are larger pictures of my example.

• Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭

<< <i>Been slowing down, but picked this up last week.

1940 Proof R38. Very happy to have picked this up.

image >>

Id be happy if I picked that up as well! Awesome coin for sure.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments!

Should have put the grade -- it's NGC 66, and I think that it was a combination of the weakness at the jaw, and three carbon spots. One near the bottom left of the collar, one on the rim at the E of liberty, and the last in front of the mouth. They're slight and not distracting (to me at least), but you can just see them with the naked eye. Overall, though, the lack of haze and (very) subtle contrast give the coin a really great look.

Keets, I love the gold and blues on that coin.

Also, if anyone here wants to look for a different obverse pairing this is probably a good place to start:

wexlers

I've got the obverse die described there
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Its a super nice coin, and you got a great deal on it.
  • Options
    Added a new newp.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW nice, nice, nice did good. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a keeper!
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I was the under bidder on the top one, you picked up a really nice coin at a really descent price.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

<< <i>I think I was the under bidder on the top one, you picked up a really nice coin at a really descent price. >>

It's really pretty, I was really glad to see one come up auction. It has exactly "the look" that I am going for with the 38-42 proof run (clean, haze free brilliant) which is harder than it seems. I definitely watch stephunter's auctions

Also, the coin on the bottom is PCGS PR67 with a green bean. It's been locked up in a collection since '04. It, and a 38 both went unsold on ebay late last year (I was not ready to spend the money at the time) but i got the sellers contact information and bought them both. They are both super nice and I wish the seller had a few more for me to buy.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those look good!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file