Home U.S. Coin Forum

NGC makes a MS68* Franklin ..........

Isn't it wonderful that we finally have a MS-68 Franklin ? image

Comments

• RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think I like this one better Enjoyimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Pictures or a link? image
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    wow - that never happened b4 ........double clutched on the button and got two posts for the price of one !

<< <i>Pictures or a link? image >>

just look in Tomaska's new book on the cover .......or check it out on his website ; only 85 grand
    ...very few comments ...?
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you seen the coin?

do you think it's a 68?

over
    LCoopie = Les
  • Pic?
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Meaningless. Unless it crosses over.image
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Was it a new coin? Or one that had been in a 67 holder of either service? Just curious.
  • RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

<< <i>...very few comments ...? >>

The only thing that I can say..............Can you loan me $85 Grand?
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was it a new coin? Or one that had been in a 67 holder of either service? Just curious. >>

That's what I was thinking... Also, what date?
  • frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750

<< <i>Was it a new coin? Or one that had been in a 67 holder of either service? Just curious. >>

I believe it was previously graded NGC MS67*. Is this correct PawPaul?
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    If there's no photo, it doesn't exist. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

<< <i>

I believe it was previously graded NGC MS67*. Is this correct PawPaul? >>

I think this is correct. I wonder if it was Senor Tomaska that got the upgrade??

I also think this was a Schuch make originally? but not completely sure of that.
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If there's no photo, it doesn't exist. image >>

I'm particularly fond of the fingerprint(s) image

<< <i>

<< <i>If there's no photo, it doesn't exist. image >>

I'm particularly fond of the fingerprint(s) image >>

Is that THE MS68*? image
  • StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i> ... Is that THE MS68*? image >>

Ayuh. Link
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way that's the coin!
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I suppose the technical grade could be all there... maybe a point or two extra for the color, but then you have to knock a point off for the GIANT fingerprint distraction and another point for the splooge spots on the reverse.

I like it as a 66. image

<< <i>Wow. I suppose the technical grade could be all there... maybe a point or two extra for the color, but then you have to knock a point off for the GIANT fingerprint distraction and another point for the splooge spots on the reverse.

I like it as a 66. image >>

I like it better as a dipped blast white 66! image
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    For an MS68 specimen, it was handled like a worthless 50c piece when the US mint worker put the coin into the cardboard double mint set. Nice big fingerprint on the right side of the obverse and another fingerprint at around 11 o'clock on the reverse. image

Being in NGC plastic, I highly doubt it's a true ms68 coin. I think at least 1 to 2 point bump for the toning.
    "It is what it is."
  • that coin is fugly
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut

<< <i>that coin is fugly >>

Fugly... is that Fugio Ugly? I kind of like Fugios! image
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I like the coin but I think it should be in a genuine holder. My problem is with the white area's that have that etched look- to me this is environmental damage. I can live with he prints if this was in a 64-65 holder.
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow. I suppose the technical grade could be all there... maybe a point or two extra for the color, but then you have to knock a point off for the GIANT fingerprint distraction and another point for the splooge spots on the reverse.

I like it as a 66. image >>

Meltdown I agree with you totally! I wouldn't buy that coin in a 66 holder let alone a 68*.

Someone else already said it.... "doesn't mean a thing unless it willcross!" and that ain't gonna cross!!!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    hm. new book... pricey coin on the cover..

that is one way to advertise your wares i suppose.

since it is ngc plastic it does not count eh? ;-)
  • 1. I like the coin but don't love the coin due to the spots on the reverse...I am ok with the finger prints

2. I don't believe there is a member of this forum who can in anyway judge the surface condition of this coin based on the images provided

3. regardless of point 2, I have no problems with collectors who do not feel that a coin with prints and spots should be awarded an MS68, and depending on the spots/etching etc..personally in hand I might even agree with their opinions

4. It's always nice to see the kool aide flowing with comments that the coin can't be an MS68 unless PCGS gives it the seal of approval though I know plenty of folks on here are joking when they say that so my panties are officially not in a wad when reading those statements image

5. I am always leary of a coin that has been graded X and then shows up in a new holder with a higher grade...but that is the nature of the beast with coin certification and is certainly understanable given the subjective nature of coin grading.

6. I personally would love to see this one in hand but it's not going to happen for me or most of us here so I guess all we can do is throw out opinions based on the images and perhaps Rick will stop by and provide his thoughts on the coin image
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I think the color on that Franklin is very attractive and looks a bit similar to an 1885-CC GSA dollar I saw quite some time time ago that PCGS subsequently holdered as an MS68.
    Many of the glamour color shots on the R&I website have the same unreal look and cartoonish glaring colors.

So I would hesitate to say it should be Genuine based soley on this pic.

Segoja had a 48 Franklin in the late 1980's that looked much like this one. It was NGC67.
    I got no problem with NGC 68'ing the coin -

they can call it a 69 for all I care

what I am surprised at

is that it's the first MS 68 Mint State Franklin to get the nod from either TPG in nearly 30 years and most folks are like

" did you see it ? ........no ..........., did you ? "

you would think since the mighty , mighty Franklin is the most poplar and widely collected coin on the planet that

it's emergence would have caused more a fuss
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ugly thing dosent even look like a coin.

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it and don't plan on seeing it.
    LCoopie = Les
  • 68 ? image
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    U.G.L.Y.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't stick my neck out on the claim.....

but I don't believe the obverse toning disturbance is a fingerprint. I believe it is large luster graze possibly caused by the mint set paper pushing the coin back into position. Probably happened early on before the majority of toning occurred. Same with the lack of toning on the high spots.

JMO even though this is not mentioned in defense of the grade because I can't tell what a good grade for that coin is by the images.
    I'd like my copper well done please!
    Is the "*" at NGC for eye-appeal?
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pictures of the coin on the R&I Website probably do not do justice to the coin.

I have some mint set toned Franklins that at first glance look unattractive. The toning is heavy, thick and multi colored. It looks very dark until you put it under good lighting and look closely at it [for me with a loupe because my close up eyesight is not good]. When you look at it under good lighting the luster of the coin reveals itself and the colors jump out at you and shimmer.

You would never think the coin was nice and attractive looking at a picture of it. You have to see it in hand in good lighting conditions.

The same might be true for the 1948P NCG MS68*. It would be nice to see it in hand.

I wonder when it will sell and how much it will sell for?????
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2. I don't believe there is a member of this forum who can in anyway judge the surface condition of this coin based on the images provided >>

MS-68 "Eye Appeal - Exceptional"

While you cannot judge surface condition with respect to dings you can absolutely judge surface condition with respect to the eye appeal of the toning and other distractions. On that count (IMHO) this coin is no 68.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that coin had ANY chance of crossing Rick would already have it in a PCGS holder.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It must look very different in hand. Please, let it look very different in hand.
    Lance.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The slab has the Peter Max pedigree.
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I always wonder with coins having that much toning is if that color is hiding any nicks or scratches.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set

• Another overgraded NGC coin.

Everybody's got plans--until they get hit
    --Mike Tyson

<< <i>I always wonder with coins having that much toning is if that color is hiding any nicks or scratches. >>

What are you talking about... it's hiding the COIN! image
  • I will say it again. Eye appeal is subjective so the NGC star is meaningless. Some people like this type of toning , some dont. Case closed. image
    almighty then - case closed ................, except -

i have no problem with the star

it's the MS 68 grade that sticks in my craw

........it's downright disturbing

• MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I think a 68 coin would actually be easier to get a group consensus on. I.e., due to the lack of marks, and the incredible luster.
    Think about it. Something that close to perfection would scream at you, whereas the lower grade have more marks, and more subjectivity creeping in.
    I would think that 10 experienced numismatists would all agree more on a 68 than a 65.

As for this coin being a 68. Who knows without seeing it in hand. I have seen too many PCGS coins get cracked out, and get a point higher from somebody else.
    Then you wind up with a coin that is really hard to sell to an experienced, and savvy, collector.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    This is the definition of being underwhelmed.
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Questions regarding the 68 grade aren't about what you can't see but what you can see. In my opinion what you do see precludes this coin getting a 68. I cannot imagine any combination of otherwise perfect surfaces, excellent strike and blinding luster could negate the visible distracts to raise this coin to a 68.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file