Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Sellers - Do you consider an offer of 75% to be lowball?

I see a few items that's around $96-97 dollars that seem to be going nowhere. The seller is accepting offers. Would you be insulted if I offered $75? By the way, there are 5 auctions for same Buy it Now price and I would be offering to take all 5 off the sellers hands for that price (each). Just fielding opinions.

Comments

• No I would not be insulted at a 75% offer as long as there's a "Make offer" button.

If you're just going to send the seller a message offering 75% I would also offer to send PayPal directly and leave your e-mail address so you can be contacted away from ebay. You won't get ebay bucks but you'll still have buyer protection.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I do NOT think it is a low ball offer ... ESPECIALLY if you are going to buy them all. I would probably send a message to the seller and tell him you will give him $70.00 each for ALL of them, delivered. (I am assuming a card where the shipping is not a lot of money.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Do you mean 75% of the current buy it now price ? or 75% off the current buy it now price ?

The first wouldnt be the second would be a lowball offer.

• << <i>Do you mean 75% of the current buy it now price ? or 75% off the current buy it now price ?

The first wouldnt be the second would be a lowball offer. >>

He's going to offer $75 on cards that are listed at $97.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the item. If it is something that sells for 90 on a regular basis then 75 is low. If it is something that doesn't trade a lot and tougher to price then 75 isnt too bad
  • I depends on the item and normal selling price. If it susally sells for $85 then $75 is a little low.

Normally 75% is fine, but the demand for the item and actual past sells are the determining factor.

Dave
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I think it is perfectly reasonable, with or without a BIN. There are cards that I have looked at on ebay that have been there for YEARS. I have made offers on these cards many times, and sometimes a seller is ready to move the item. The worst thing that can happen is that the seller says no. At best, he accepts the offer, or may counteroffer. Businesses have 25% off sales all the time. An offer of that to a seller is more than reasonable.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • its a strong offer...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    agree with others, with no context it's hard to say. If it is an easily saleable item at say, 90, then 75 is a bit low, but even if it sells for 85 or so easily, 75 for all 5 sounds like a very fair offer.

in general with no context, I think you have made a nice offer that warrants consideration at the least.
  • TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    75% is usually fair, depending on the item; I have been known to take offers in that range, and unless it is an item that sells for a higher price on a routine basis, I'm not insulted.

However, I do get insulted when I have a card listed with free shipping and someone offers me $1.50 (which happens with some frequency), completely either oblivious or not caring about the fact that it would cost me $1.71 to ship it with delivery confirmation.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    You wanna talk insulting? Check out this counter offer

I offered 85%

(If that link didn't work: card was BO at $1,600. My offer: $1,350. Counter: $1,575)
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a guy with a BIN of 89 and BO.

I started with 15% off - no go.

Then went to about 12.5% off - no go.

Then to 10% off - no go.

IMO - there should not have been a BO - if one is not gonna accept a 10% discount.
    Mike
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see very few BINs that if you paid 75% you are not seriously overpaying.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You wanna talk insulting? Check out this counter offer

I offered 85%

(If that link didn't work: card was BO at $1,600. My offer: $1,350. Counter: $1,575) >>

That's about the best you can expect from Levi... His business model and counter offers have been discussed ad nauseam in the past. There's nothing wrong with it as long as you know what to expect going in.
  • Evening,

Considering that on $20-$100 dollar cards, after E-Bay and Paypal get done picking me up by the ankles and turning me upside down to dump about 20-23 % out of my pockets, I will sell almost anything I have in an Off E-bay, Paypal Gift, deal for 75 %, even 70 %, Insult...Never, its what gets the deal done as long as I am involved!!!!! Moved 40-45 % of my Sales Off E-Bay last month....Shooting for 100 % over the next few years!!!!!!!

E-Bay needs to get with the New Program and Offer a Service where you get to Post your Product for the Mass's eyes too see and you see something you want, you contact the Seller direct and make the deal direct! And I would be willing to pay a Higher Flat Rate to list my stuff if they had a service like that! In that case they would still get a portion of the Sale, the way the system works now I spend my time devising ways to make sure they (Meaning E-Bay/Paypal) get as little as possible!!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimageimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

• << <i>

I offered 85%

(If that link didn't work: card was BO at $1,600. My offer: $1,350. Counter: $1,575) >>

That's about the best you can expect from Levi... His business model and counter offers have been discussed ad nauseam in the past. There's nothing wrong with it as long as you know what to expect going in. >>

I purchased a card from Levi. He was asking $200, I offered $150 he took it.

I guess it just depends. The card was a 1963 Bazooka ATG Lou Gehrig PSA 8 Highest graded.

Dave
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I offered 85%

That's about the best you can expect from Levi... His business model and counter offers have been discussed ad nauseam in the past. There's nothing wrong with it as long as you know what to expect going in. >>

Memory Lane did the same thing to me on a $200 card where I offered about 75-80% on a red man card (which was a high price compared to SMR/VCP and got a counter
    of $190-$195. I find those types of counters to be insulting. But that's just me and a seller can do what he wants but in today's market I will take my business elsewhere.

aconte
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>75% is usually fair, depending on the item; I have been known to take offers in that range, and unless it is an item that sells for a higher price on a routine basis, I'm not insulted.

However, I do get insulted when I have a card listed with free shipping and someone offers me $1.50 (which happens with some frequency), completely either oblivious or not caring about the fact that it would cost me $1.71 to ship it with delivery confirmation. >>

Doesn't that really depend on what the card sells for in other contexts?

There are lots of cards with Beckett Hi price of $5 to $10 that you can find for $1 to $2 at shows or card stores. A smart buyer online isn't going to offer more than what he could expect to see the card at somewhere else.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I think 75% off a selling price is fair. Even if you haggle and can get it a 80% then it is a good deal all the way around. Now, if you have a seller who has zero interest in taking anything off it might be a waste of time.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, if you have a seller who has zero interest in taking anything off it might be a waste of time. >>

Anyone is particular in mind??? lol
  • cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Interesting thread. I buy lots of stuff in my free moments away from work. As others have mentioned, many BIN's are way overpriced and I skip these sellers altogether. It is a hobby and I am not spending my free time haggling. I jump on many, many BIN's from a number of sellers who price things at/near/slightly below the so-called 'market' price. Like many, I sometimes need to sell some items as well and I try to price things at a fair price. As a seller, I do not accept any offers below the asking price. It is not fair to those unwilling to haggle. If you price something with the idea that you will take 75% of your price, you are basically saying to yourself, 'I am willing to take advantage of an uninformed buyer (perhaps a kid new to the hobby?) but if I can't find one of those, I will accept the market price from an informed buyer that knows the market value and is willing to haggle as well.' Not an original pricing model and rather transparent. Not good for the hobby. Card shows were the funniest (I am a middle aged guy who dealers assume has at least some money to spend), dealers would beg me to make an offer on their items. Any offer. They clearly knew their stuff was overpriced but needed to move some inventory. Why not mark it down for everyone?
  • onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    If its a fair price ill start at 60%..............it does depend on the demand of the card. Im offended at all the ridiculous BIN prices! And some of theses people do not use best offer! As a seller 75% is what i was looking for more times than not on a BO.
  • jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Yeah, it really depends on the card and the seller...we all know 707 doesnt really budge...but i recently offered 70 bucks on a card listed at 150 and it was immediately accepted...and i still feel i got slighty taken, haha!

<< <i>we all know 707 doesnt really budge >>

707 has a purpose. As long as you get into it with the realization that you are paying for the next grade level price for the actual card yougetting (ie, paying PSA 4 prices for an actual PSA 3).
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I wish people offered 75% on my BIN/BO

It seems like if you have a $150 VCP average, list it at $165 BIN/BO you always seem to get offers around $65-80.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • HuncrelanHuncrelan Posts: 216

<< <i>Evening,

Considering that on $20-$100 dollar cards, after E-Bay and Paypal get done picking me up by the ankles and turning me upside down to dump about 20-23 % out of my pockets, I will sell almost anything I have in an Off E-bay, Paypal Gift, deal for 75 %, even 70 %, Insult...Never, its what gets the deal done as long as I am involved!!!!! Moved 40-45 % of my Sales Off E-Bay last month....Shooting for 100 % over the next few years!!!!!!!

E-Bay needs to get with the New Program and Offer a Service where you get to Post your Product for the Mass's eyes too see and you see something you want, you contact the Seller direct and make the deal direct! And I would be willing to pay a Higher Flat Rate to list my stuff if they had a service like that! In that case they would still get a portion of the Sale, the way the system works now I spend my time devising ways to make sure they (Meaning E-Bay/Paypal) get as little as possible!!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimageimage >>

This is interesting. I had heard others indicate if they received too many gifts, paypal would suspend their acct. Do you know if this could be a problem or was I misinformed?

Thanks
    Paul
  • Mescalito345Mescalito345 Posts: 144 ✭✭
    Just one question:

If you're trying to sell something for $100, would you rather get an offer of $50, or no offer at all? After the initial offer, there's always the possibility of counter-offers and an eventual sale.

<< <i>If you're trying to sell something for $100, would you rather get an offer of $50, or no offer at all? After the initial offer, there's always the possibility of counter-offers and an eventual sale. >>

It depends on what the average sales price is. Most of the time, you can list an item for 99 cents, and beat the $50 offer 9 times out of 10.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    The problem of making an offer is the mind set of the person selling the item. One of my main things I collect is Peyton Manning, including his auto cards, most of the common autos (not including low serial numbered and high end product) sell in the $60-$80 range. Most people put a BIN or BO starting at about $90-$100. I will offer around $60 as a starting offer and see what happens. If the seller wants to move the item, he may accept, some dont want to sell for less.

The last instance I had was a card that booked for $120, but has regularly sold for around $60-$65. He had a BIN or BO at $94.95. I offered $65, since there had been two sold in the past 30 days at $64 and $67. His counteroffer $89.95, I recountered at $72.50, since he did offer free shipping, he recountered at $88.95. At that point, I realized he wanted more for his card than I would give. No biggie.

Honestly, unless the offer is absolutely ridiculous, I think any offer is a good start, even if its at 50% of what is being asked. You dont know how long the card has been up for sale or how much the person has in it. If a seller is insulted by a 50% offer then so be it, at least there's interest in it.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323

<< <i>

<< <i>Evening,

YeeHahimage

Neilimageimage >>

This is interesting. I had heard others indicate if they received too many gifts, paypal would suspend their acct. Do you know if this could be a problem or was I misinformed?

Thanks
    Paul >>

Morning,

That is a good question and I wish I knew the answer. I have heard that as well, and of people being warned, I have never had either happen to me. All I can do is try and move my customers towards checks, MO and as I have been doing lately, I will do the deal and send a request for money. This still costs you the Fee to Paypal, but saves the E-bay FVF Fee and helps to cut down on the Gift ones. Also get communication out of the E-Bay e-mail system as soon as possible in your negotiations. As soon as a potential Buyer contacts me asking about something I answer back with the contact me direct at Niel$%#^%$# at Q.com, my home E-Mail. Then once I make a deal, E-Bay has nothing to do with it and I just have lots of friends around the country who like to send me money!!!

YeeHhaimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Mescalito345Mescalito345 Posts: 144 ✭✭
    I'm not quite sure why anyone would be insulted by a low-ball offer. When I was selling cards on eBay a couple of years ago, I received some low-ball offers. Usually I'd either ignore the offer or reply with a counter-offer. There's no reason to get upset. It's just part of the negotiation process.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm never insulted by an offer. If it's ridiculous...I just don't counteroffer. If it's humanly reasonable I will send a counteroffer.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gentleman has a BIN of a card I'd like to upgrade my 55 set. BIN $56 or BO. I offered $49 and never heard back so the offer expired. I made another offer; $55 just to see if he is paying attention. He has another card that would upgrade my 60 set. Card sells quite often and averages about $119. His BIN is $162, only $43 above average (highest price I've seen is $139) $43 below avg. would be $76 but I offer a little more ($85) and figure if we negotiate we will meet at a price a little above average. Nope. Auto decline. On the first card if this offer expires I may offer $57 just to see what happens.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    We find some of the comments in this thread amusing.

Brian, like most of the others have said, a 75% offer shouldn't be seen as insulting, especially if you take advantage of the option to type a little message thanking them for their consideration of your offer.