Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mile High Cat. & Use of GAI Proof Designation

Afternoon,

I just recieved my Mile High Card co. Catalouge and as well as noticing that they have a lot of really Nice Non Sports stuff that is seldom seen, I also have some issue with their use of Proof Card designation especially as it includes GAI designations. IE; In other words they are selling cards as Proof, and some obviously are, and others I question as to the varacity of their Proof Claim by them and GAI. As a few examples:

Item #2245 1965 Topps Battle....Their claims mention nothing from the Topps vault, IMO this is simply a printers error and by no means a Bonifide Proof Card.

Item #2248 1965 Topps Superman Card and 1966 Variant...........The rumors and stories that are told about the cards with the Captions and without the captions are as rampant as DB Cooper stories. The fact is that so many can be found with the caption missing (Thousands and thousands) that there is no way they were a test or proof, just another version.

Does anybody know why all of their Unopened Packs are GAI and nary a one from PSA? I am afraid I would't trust any of it!

Neil
Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect unopened packs, so I'm far from an expert here. However, I believe GAI started graded packs long before PSA did. Therefore, there are still a lot of packs that are GAI graded out there since that was the only option for a long time.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    there are a handful of PSA graded sports packs.

Also, PSA doesn't grade tall boy packs (65 FB, 69, 70 and 76 Bball, etc) or rak packs so GAI is the only option if you want to grade those type of packs. JOhn

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Not to mention there are many of us that prefer GAI's holder for packs. Arguably safer, definitely more aesthetically pleasing. I've probably broken out half a dozen PSA packs and had them slabbed by GAI.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree that the GAI holders are more aethetically pleasing...too much hard plastic in the PSA holder and its design unfortunately causes tears in the wrappers in wax packs. Also, they're much harder to cut open and rip when you're in the mood to bust a pack! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PSA is relatively new to grading packs compared to GAI. GAI has had it's problems since 2007 though. There are a few threads in regards to what serial numbers are trusted more in GAI holders as the graders changed over time.The 101 series seems to be the most trusted.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first generation serial numbers starting with 100 are even more desirable, IMO, as that was when Wright was doing the grading..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.