Home Sports Talk
Options

Feeling nostalgic about hockey - Stevie Y 2OT goal

halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
I am 44, and I was talking to a very knowledgable young man about half of my age who loves hockey. For some reason, we were talking about Steve Yzerman.

Of course, you cannot think about Stevie Y's career without mentioning that goal against John Casey. Gary Thorne's call on that goal could not have been better, nor could that shot have been.

That game had it all. A shutout going into 2OT, Game 7, and a superstar ending it with a laserbeam.

The best part about that shot is the camera angle from the goalie's perspective.

Comments

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I definitely fondly remember that game, I can't help but also remember that that series took everything out of Detroit and they lost in the next round to Colorado. Detroit should never have been in a game 7 in the first place. St. Louis was a SUB-.500 team. Detroit set a record for wins! 131 pts vs 80 pts. And they gotta go to 2OT in game 7? Ugh. Then Detroit runs into an incredibly hot goalie in Roy and gets bumped. They made up for it the next two years, of course, but I can't help but remember the downside to that incredible moment image

Tabe
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>While I definitely fondly remember that game, I can't help but also remember that that series took everything out of Detroit and they lost in the next round to Colorado. Detroit should never have been in a game 7 in the first place. St. Louis was a SUB-.500 team. Detroit set a record for wins! 131 pts vs 80 pts. And they gotta go to 2OT in game 7? Ugh. Then Detroit runs into an incredibly hot goalie in Roy and gets bumped. They made up for it the next two years, of course, but I can't help but remember the downside to that incredible moment image

Tabe >>

I could not agree more with your analysis. I watch hockey now, but really don't root for teams. I just like watching the game, and I have favorite players, both past and present.
  • Options
    That was back in the Dave Strader/Mickey Redmon days. As announcers for the Wings I mean.

I'll never forget Strader's high-pitched elation: "Steve Yzerman wins it with a bullet!"

Listen to the call
    South of Heaven...North of Canada