Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Royal Wedding Coins from the Royal Mint

Is anybody buying these coins thinking they might be a good investment? I bought The Royal Wedding UK Silver Piedfort Coin which had a mintage of 3000 and now is sold out.

Comments

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    IMHO, No. The better time to buy is when the original sellers start selling them. That price will be far lower than the initial subscription price.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Occasionallythe Royal Mint has issues that are sound investments in my view.Latterly the Lennon 5 pound coin , a mintage of 5000 ensures it will never sell at original cost price again.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Occasionallythe Royal Mint has issues that are sound investments in my view.Latterly the Lennon 5 pound coin , a mintage of 5000 ensures it will never sell at original cost price again. >>

That's why I think the 3000 minted Royal Piedfort UK Silver coin has potential because it is already sold out at the mint.
  • Options
    I think you have it right , they have potential. While John Lennon is/was a world legend and will always be popular the young prince and his bride have it all to do.If they go the way of previous royal couples .. ie .. Andrew/Fergie , Charles/Diana , Anne/Mark Phillips etc i don't know if there will be a huge interest in their artifacts/collectibles.
    When this Queen goes the Royals have a decision to make , if Charles steps aside and allows William to take the throne then your investment just hit paydirt.If Charles takes the throne and many believe he will , it might be a while before any interest whatsoever is shown in William again , its all about Harry if Wills doesnt cop the throne.
  • Options
    The problem as I see it is that piedfort are not main-stream coins, they are just collectables, the sort of thing you buy of the back of the Sunday papers. There's probably only about 2500 collectors out there with 3000 coins to go around.
  • Options
    I think you might be surprised Gazza , i know i was.Im from the UK , living in Pa and on three occasions now different people have asked me to have a look at their coins.On all three occasions there were multiple UK piedford silver pounds , silver crowns , commemoratives i havnt seen since the 70's all in the mint presentation boxes.I suspect there is or at least was a healthy market in the US for UK mint products.One need only look to the recent Lennon crown , i'd wager a fair percentage of those ended up in the US.While i acknowledge there is a huge difference between Lennon and William&Kate and not being a huge fan of modern commemoratives i think given time..lots of it..they will come into their own.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you have it right , they have potential. While John Lennon is/was a world legend and will always be popular the young prince and his bride have it all to do.If they go the way of previous royal couples .. ie .. Andrew/Fergie , Charles/Diana , Anne/Mark Phillips etc i don't know if there will be a huge interest in their artifacts/collectibles.
    When this Queen goes the Royals have a decision to make , if Charles steps aside and allows William to take the throne then your investment just hit paydirt.If Charles takes the throne and many believe he will , it might be a while before any interest whatsoever is shown in William again , its all about Harry if Wills doesnt cop the throne. >>

Vivat Regina! Long Live The Queen! I hope she makes it to 101 like her Mum and Charles will be an antique fart by the time he becomes Queen. Right now Charles is almost 63.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    I couldnt agree more Saor Alba , i have much respect for ERll , she has been a great figurehead and role model throughout her life.I would only wish her a long and healthy reign.The others , every manjack of them can go get jobs.
  • Options
    I just see it as one more retailer trying to cash in like most NCLT is. Charles and Di crowns (1981) are listed as $1.75 in UNC in my Krause, I wonder what their issue price was? Of course 27 million of them were minted, a coin with an artificially low mintage may do better.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options

<< <i>IMHO, No. The better time to buy is when the original sellers start selling them. That price will be far lower than the initial subscription price. >>

I agree. There are probably a few examples of where the purchase from the Mint (whichever Mint that is) is profitable, but coins are usually cheaper in the aftermarket.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think you have it right , they have potential. While John Lennon is/was a world legend and will always be popular the young prince and his bride have it all to do.If they go the way of previous royal couples .. ie .. Andrew/Fergie , Charles/Diana , Anne/Mark Phillips etc i don't know if there will be a huge interest in their artifacts/collectibles.
    When this Queen goes the Royals have a decision to make , if Charles steps aside and allows William to take the throne then your investment just hit paydirt.If Charles takes the throne and many believe he will , it might be a while before any interest whatsoever is shown in William again , its all about Harry if Wills doesnt cop the throne. >>

Vivat Regina! Long Live The Queen! I hope she makes it to 101 like her Mum and Charles will be an antique fart by the time he becomes Queen. Right now Charles is almost 63. >>

It will take more than time for Charles to become Queen.