Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

How accurate is the Charlton Canadian price guide?

I have a the opportunity to purchase a complete collection of canadian silver dollars. Using the guide it seems a very fair deal. There is one problem coin - of course the big key 48. AU details but polished. But other keys are nice uncs 47 varieties etc.

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is very optimistic-

This is the problem- certain dates in 64 and higher are rare and just do not surface often- but the demand still seems to be different and the prices are weak for average dates that have average appeal- find a 1945 or 46 in 64 or 65- and see what they sell for

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• If the offers I get on some of my eBay stuff are any indication, people want to be buying at half catalog at best. Whether or not that's reasonable is anybody's guess, I suppose...
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    The price is about 70% of MS60 price. However there are a number of coins that could hit the 63-64 mark. And based upon the book prices really jump. I was think about making an offer less the 48.

• << <i>I was think about making an offer less the 48. >>

If the 48 is a problem coin, it might be best to deal with it separately.
  • Like most collectible and coin catalogues, actual purchases can usually be made around 50% of the listed value.
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Canadacolrnut. Without the coins in hand and without certification by a reputable TPG, you should be able to buy all at about 50% of book price or about 60-70% of Trends prices for the scarcer ones, notwithstanding the '48. The '48 is really not very scarce .. you can go to any major coin show here in Canada and have your pick of 10-12. It's just that it has been recognized for so long, it is pricey. My personal opinion is that I would buy the collection and the '48 separately, unless he gives you a price on the '48 that you can't pass up.
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to pass and not pursue the set. I am not familiar enough with the series to lay out that much cash on the set. Even with the 48 out of the equation it was still 50% over melt value. Average 62 to me with some 63 and 64s.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Yeah that definitely sounds on the pricey side. For the later dates, MS63 doesn't bring a premium over melt any more, and only a small one for earlier dates. For MS64 to get more than melt (on later dates), you'd need to have it certified as well.

Probably a prudent pass.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Never mind. Sorry,ttted wrong topic.image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • I have rarely paid more than 75%-80% of Charlton values.
    The prices for older coins in high grades are more accurate then the modern high grade items, which I feel are grossly over-valued.
    I live in the USA but buy a lot of coins from Canada and the exchange rate is not favorable at this point in time.
    Canadian Coin News "Trends" are updated every two weeks and, IMHO, are still a bit on the high side.
    However there is now a new editing staff for the Trends section, which may result in more accurate pricing.
    The Haxby "Coins of Canada" is slightly more accurate, price-wise, than Charlton.
    Bear in mind that these catalogs are prepared many months in advance and so the prices may not reflect current market values.

• << <i>Thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to pass and not pursue the set. I am not familiar enough with the series to lay out that much cash on the set. Even with the 48 out of the equation it was still 50% over melt value. Average 62 to me with some 63 and 64s. >>

The 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947/47ML and, of course, the 1948 are the keys to a 1935-1967 Canada dollar set.
    IIRC the 1956 is the key to the Elizabeth era coins.
    At any rate, I would be very glad (make that thrilled!) to pay 50% over melt for a set of MS62/63 coins (1935-1967), even without the 48.
    I disagree with the poster who claimed the 48 is not "really rare".
    Granted there are always some to be had, unlike a 1921 half, but it IS a scarce coin and is the absolute key to the series.
    I have many ICCS graded MS62 and MS63 coins that are extremely well struck with a lot of eye appeal and I think there is a ready market for these grades in the Dollar series.
    My 1948 is PCGS graded MS62 and I paid about 75% of Trends for it several years ago. It has appreciated (at least on paper) since that time and I expect it to continue to do so in the future.
    High mint state coins (MS65 and over) are scarce for many years of issue and command substantial premiums
    With diligence and patience one can put together a very attractive set of Canada dollars in the lower MS states (62-63) at a cost affordable by most serious collectors - but the 1948 will still be the most expensive (all other things being equal).
    In my 35+ years of collecting Canadian coins, I can state that the next hardest one is the 1947.
  • The 1948 $ is a money coin....not a rare coin.

These are readily obtainable if one is willing to pay the price.

ICCS has certified well over a thousand in MS state, PCGS, NGC, etal have also certified many.

A comparably priced coin is the 1858 5/8 ten cent piece.
    Of this coin, ICCS has certified 34, and only 2 of this number are MS.

If one had ten thousand dollars, I dare say he could easily purchase 3, 4, or 5 1948 $ within a week.
    They are available.

Good luck on finding the 1858 5/8 ten cent piece. Very seldom are they offered for sale.

How many 1948 $'s transactions does a Canadian coin dealer conduct each year?
    Ask the same question concerning the 1858 5/8 ten cent piece.

I would prefer a 'rare' coin rather than an expensive common popular coin.

doug

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My jaw hit the floor when you balked because you would not pay 50% over melt! You left 1 heck of a deal there.

LOL! image Just realized this thread was resurected but I still agree with my statement above!