Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

MAB Autograph Show NJ April 30-May 1

Heading there on Sat. Do these shows have alot of dealers as well? I didnt see mention of it on the site. You know how usually you see something like "100 of the areas top dealers" type thing. Or is this more of just a place to get the players autos?

Comments

• Options
    When the shows were at the Crowne Plaza they had a big room with a lot of tables. Since they moved to the other hotel, I'm not really sure. I would expect some dealers, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are fewer than at past shows.
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Ya was hoping to bring some cash and do some card shopping but thought there might not be much since no promotion about it on site.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Id like to hear how the lines are for autograph guests. With the economy and the prices, are people really paying the full retail for things to be signed? I cant wait to see how the lines are in Cooperstown this year.
  • Options
    Ill let you know if it was crowded or not on Sat. I dont think it will be dead. Im guessing moderate crowd but we will see.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Id like to hear how the lines are for autograph guests. With the economy and the prices, are people really paying the full retail for things to be signed? I cant wait to see how the lines are in Cooperstown this year. >>

I was at the MAB Show this past weekend in Baltimore and the autograph lines were mobbed

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    The lines are usually pretty long depending on the guest. THey are also numbered tickets so if you have number 50 you don't have to go running up there until they are on like number 40. All the past shows that I have been to there was approx. 20 tables with the bulk being card dealers. There are some guys with pictures, framers, game used memorabilia & JSA is usually on hand.

They really do run a good show. If you are getting mid level guys you can fly right through the lines. Plus the hotel setting is good because you have a place to eat & sit while waiting. I was going to head up for Yogi but his prices got a little crazy for me.

Have fun & Good Luck if you go.

wsohl
  • Options
    Makes me sick to my stomach to hear that people are still lining up at those prices!
  • Options
    I know what you mean, If nobody showed up at those prices they would have to drop them, But as long as people show up & pay they will continue to charge these rates. I mean Yogi is a Yankee Icon but 200 bucks is alot. I got him two years ago at the same show for 54 bucks. Just crazy.....

wsohl
  • Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Makes me sick to my stomach to hear that people are still lining up at those prices! >>

I am one of those morons that are still paying these ridiculous prices. But I feel like I "need" LaSorda (and I really dont feel I "need" many players) on a multi-signed piece. First time doing mail order.
  • Options
    Ya sometimes you need(Lasorda) a certain player and you give in to the price.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Makes me sick to my stomach to hear that people are still lining up at those prices! >>

How about a Willie Mays ticket for him to sign a jersey?

$695, but inscriptions are $120 extra!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    Yeah, thats crazy....I think he is 800 on bats now? I dont remember, Im not looking at the MAB site. I pretty much avoid it. Mays sig is so bad and will only use that fat sharpie, he should do us all a favor and just stop signing cuz he is blind.
  • Options
    Mays is only $470 on a bat. Bargain haha
  • Options
    By the way anyone know when the last time Lasorda signed? I have been looking on and off for years now. I wasnt looking all the time so might have missed him if he was around last few years so not sure.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Here's the LINK for the prices guys.
    I'm a Reggie Jackson fan, but come on Reggie ... he is charging an ADDITIONAL $100.00 on top of the regular price of the item if you want him to sign: "Reginald Martinez Jackson".

Willie "Don't talk to me just pay me" Mays is charging $695.00 to autograph a Jersey. If you want him to add "Say Hey" (he will NOT add "Say Hey Kid") then the total for the Jersey will be $815.00. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???????

They are promoting the signers as "athletes who have all graced the front cover of Sports Illustrated. A great weekend for autographed SI collectors."

FYI ... if you want a sig from each athlete for your SI collection, be ready to pony up $1,655.00"
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Only once have I ever paid for an inscription. They are too easily faked. How difficult would it be for someone to write "Kid" after the "Sey Hey"? When items are authenticated, they authenticate the signature only, not the inscriptions.

Here is a story about Mays in Cooperstown 2 years ago...this guy was big on having inscriptions. He liked making his own "stat ball". He had balls already signed and just paid for inscriptions. Well, he had a BEAUTIFUL ink signed baseball. He brought it to Mays for stat inscriptions. Well, lets just say that Mays absolutely butchered the thing. First, he wouldnt use ink, only a regular fine sharpie. The writing was horrible...crossed over stitches, big, illegible...looked like a little kid scribbled on it. The guy was so disappointed cuz he spent a ton for Mays to do it. He had to know how it was going to turn out so I had a hard time feeling bad for him. Mays is no picnic to deal with. Any Mays I have were purchased already signed cuz I dont want to deal with his BS.
  • Options
    Yes Mays has been that way forever. Anything you give him is at risk of being ruined.
  • Options
    It seemed to be a moderate crowd. I guess a decent amount of people getting autos. I havent been to a MAB show so not sure how it compared to others.

Lasorda was about as unfriendly as one can be. What a surprise!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Lasorda was about as unfriendly as one can be. What a surprise! >>

Hopefully he sat next to Willie so they could piss each other off!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    He was next to Earl Weaver who was very quiet