Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

half grades

i have asked psa customer service about how to tell if a card was submitted before or after psa started to issue half grades. they basically said to go fish. is there a sure fire way of knowing? please let me know if anyone has any solid ideas. thanks.Textimage

Comments

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    new grades are suppose to look like this:

NM MT

before half grades s/b NM MT 8

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I understand it...the only way to tell is if the grade is underneath the the alphabetic designation. If you have a NM-7, it hasn't been reviewed for the half-point...if you have a

NM

it's been through the new half-point process and only obtained the grade shown.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    That's PSA Customer Service for you. Give a poor, uninformed answer get you off the phone and get back to playing computer games or something.

CS people represent the front lines for a company and should either be extremely knowledgeable about it's products or be able to connect you to someone who is.

Giving you a basically "leave me alone" answer is inexcusable. Incidents like this seem to be company wide, from foreign objects in holders, to cards being graded multiple times with wide variences in grades, to grades being changed due to an email or phone call. Hard to believe that they are thinking of watering down the operation even more by opening another office on the east coast. Pretty soon you'll have the cast of Jersey Shore running things.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I don't sub anything so I can't help you there, but I just wanted to welcome you to the board. image

Great question for the uninformed like me as far as PSA grading goes. Don't be a stranger!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>new grades are suppose to look like this:

NM MT

before half grades s/b NM MT 8 >>

This pretty much sums it up and image to the boards...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image

Cards sent in for review are simply returned in original holder if bump is denied. A card may go through the system many times and you would never know.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>new grades are suppose to look like this:

NM MT

before half grades s/b NM MT 8 >>

This is true, however on reholders, which could be old label grades, the new reholder label will also look like the above although it might not have been in for a review bump. So it's not 100% full proof the above are new grades since the half point roll out.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi, hello, how are ya? image

Cards sent in for review are simply returned in original holder if bump is denied. A card may go through the system many times and you would never know. >>

Your statement does not apply in all cases. If you submit a card in with PSA and grade on the same line, it might come back with the grade on teh line below PSA. This occurs if PSA breaks the card out to make its determination. I know this from personal experience.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Welcome to the boards!

<< <i>how to tell if a card was submitted before or after psa started to issue half grades. >>

Here is an example just in case you still don't understand what everyone has been saying.

Pre .5 grading

Post .5 grading

Note where the grade number is positioned on the label.

That is how you can tell. It is not 100% as some have pointed out.