Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Excited! Big Rickey Henderson fan..just landed a buyback rc auto!

Rickey has always been my childhood baseball hero...and now that I'm older, I have been able to afford his RC and now his RC auto! Can't wait until it arrives.

Comments

• Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    nice card... always nice to get a card you really want.
  • Options
    Congrats!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    What dealer did you get this from? There have been fakes running around of these types of cards.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
  • Options
    sweet card. Congrats!
  • Options
    "What dealer did you get this from? There have been fakes running around of these types of cards. "

A seller on ebay with 2000+ feedback and 100% positives...located in Taiwan.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    You would think a better condition card would be used...
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice score on the Henderson auto...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I hate to say it, but it sure looks a lot like one of those cards Burge and company put out a few years back.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!
    Mike
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    If it's legit, congrats! I'd contact Topps though, just to be on the safe side.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I think it's counterfeit..

1. Marker appears to be a Sharpie (thicker) not the Staedlers Topps uses
    2. I think the Autograpn is fake
    3. As mentioned these are easily counterfeited, you can take the case and stickers off with a hair dryer, sign the card and your $3 Reggie Smith auto is now a Henderson
    4. Henderson was not part of the 2004 Set (look up Topps Originals 2004 on Beckett.com)
    5. The numbering is quite questionable
    6. The card is in poor condition, too poor for most buybacks
    7. Ad an overseas seller

I would do everything I could to get my money back...
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Not Completely Terrible feedback but NOT great! Don't like that he's into selling knockoffs either.

OP's Auction Win

Also, lets think about the likelihood of this card legitimately selling for $380 if it was real, There's lots of highend Rickey Henderson collectors, the closest card to the end price of this rookie was Ebay Item 336710d5d0, in that set there are 137 1/1 Rickey Henderson's (I'm not kidding, yes 137 cards numbered 1/1), a 1/1 Signed RC by Topps would have sold for a lot more than it did...

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    unfortunately, I think it's fake as well

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Never too early to start a dispute via Paypal.

Have to agree something isn't right about that sig.
  • Options
    it would be such a nice card if it were real/authentic auto
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    I'm truly surprised anyone even buys this stuff anymore. I wouldn't touch buybacks or game-used patch cards with a ten foot pole.
  • Options
    1st40401st4040 Posts: 98 ✭✭
    when I got back into the hobby in 07 so much had changed from the 90's that I had to do some research before buying any patch or auto's of my player just to be sure stuff was authentic. It really takes the fun out of the hobby to have to question everything before you buy it but card dealers are some damn shady people nowadays.

no doubt the card is a fake.. could be a legit auto but its not a buyback at all. So many people get shafted by these Topps encased cards thinking they can't be faked. Its just sad that there are so many scammers out there.

Follow my funny athlete names collection on IG: dicks_n_funny_athlete_namesjoin my Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/935847757314558

• Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>when I got back into the hobby in 07 so much had changed from the 90's that I had to do some research before buying any patch or auto's of my player just to be sure stuff was authentic. It really takes the fun out of the hobby to have to question everything before you buy it but card dealers are some damn shady people nowadays.

no doubt the card is a fake.. could be a legit auto but its not a buyback at all. So many people get shafted by these Topps encased cards thinking they can't be faked. Its just sad that there are so many scammers out there. >>

I also blame the card companies for releasing into the public items that can be so easily manipulated and/or faked. There are steps that can be taken and they just stand still.
  • Options
    Sorry but I think you got taken
  • Options
    I've kept scans of similar Cal Ripken Jr. ones that were pulled from eBay....I'll try to find them and post later on
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Not even close

You should file a PP claim today and tell the seller you want a refund
    If he gives you BS like "but it has a certification sticker" then pay a few bucks for a PSA quick opinion, and they will immediately call it fake

The only thing dumber than spending $380 on a fake without doing homework, is insisting a fake auto is real and keeping it
  • Options

<< <i>Not even close

You should file a PP claim today and tell the seller you want a refund
    If he gives you BS like "but it has a certification sticker" then pay a few bucks for a PSA quick opinion, and they will immediately call it fake

The only thing dumber than spending $380 on a fake without doing homework, is insisting a fake auto is real and keeping it >>

Thanks for the heads up. I should have done my research. I have already contacted Topps, waiting on a reply. I've also contacted the seller, but he has already shipped out the item. I can't open any ebay case until the item is delivered.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    The card by itself might be worth $25, right? So, $355 for a Rickey Henderson autograph?!?

What's wrong with this one, that's $180 cheaper?
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    here is my PSA/DNA Henderson... This card can be done easy - buy a rookie card that you like - join SCN and wait for the next Henderson major signing - he signs every 5 months at a major card show. His going rate for an auto on a card is between $85-100.

yours... (I think others might be right image )

• Options
    Feel free to ask board members here for advice, I was big into collecting Rookie card Buybacks but realized that it didn't take much for someone to fake these,particularly with the Topps case and sticker. It now seems to have been just a fad. Is there any difference between you getting a card signed by him in person or the Topps company doing it? The answer is yes, you actually get to meet the man.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with who believe arming oneself with knowledge before jumping into a transaction of this magnitude is a must.

<< <i>The only thing dumber than spending $380 on a fake without doing homework, is insisting a fake auto is real and keeping it >>

And - perhaps - something more repugnant is an apparently tactless, self-righterous response to an OP who's excited about something they purchased.

Then - again - this is just my opinion also.

Mike
  • Options
    My suspicion is that the OP didn't seek the board's opinion first due to not wanting to "tip off" any member here of the card & possibly driving up the price (obviously only a guess).

Needless to say, here are three examples of fake Cal Ripken Jr. "buybacks" that were pulled off eBay before any buyer could get screwed:

Never get cheated

IMF
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with who believe arming oneself with knowledge before jumping into a transaction of this magnitude is a must.

<< <i>The only thing dumber than spending $380 on a fake without doing homework, is insisting a fake auto is real and keeping it >>

And - perhaps - something more repugnant is an apparently tactless, self-righterous response to an OP who's excited about something they purchased.

Then - again - this is just my opinion also. >>

It's certainly not the first time hammered has shared his superior wisdom with us.
  • Options
    I got impaled over thinking my 52 topps auto (lol jk reprint) was real when I ignored the obvious because I was so excited... It happens that's why you calm down and look before doing anything... Lesson learned
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with who believe arming oneself with knowledge before jumping into a transaction of this magnitude is a must.

It's certainly not the first time hammered has shared his superior wisdom with us. >>

Always glad to help
  • Options

It's called tough love, Mike
  • Options

<< <i>It's called tough love, Mike >>

Except when you're wrong... then it's just called being an antagonistic d*ck. Remember when you told me this card was worth only $25?

Well you've now been proven wrong twice.

The problem with tough love is that you have to be right 100% of the time, or else you come off looking abrasive, arrogant, and worst of all, ignorant.
  • Options
    Wow, name calling....

All your links prove is that two people drastically overpaid for a 9 PD, probably because they don't realize how much a qualifier drops a 9's value. Uninformed buyers usually don't know this. That $90 is more than the PSA 8.5 price for that card.
    9 PD is equivalent to a PSA 7, both in value and in registry weight. VCP on a PSA 7 Murray rookie is $26.99. But if you think it's worth far more than that, then I suggest you buy up all the 9Q's you can find at PSA 8.5 prices.

Regarding the Henderson auto,
    I offer no offense to the OP, but dumb (or you can use a gentler word if you like) purchases like these are a significant reason the fake auto business has been so profitable for forgers. If buyers like the OP slowed down and did even minimal research (that Rickey auto would be recognized as a fake even by non-experts), the forgers would soon find themselves without a market.

• Options

<< <i>All your links prove is that two people drastically overpaid for a 9 PD, probably because they don't realize how much a qualifier drops a 9's value. Uninformed buyers usually don't know this. That $90 is more than the PSA 8.5 price for that card.
    9 PD is equivalent to a PSA 7, both in value and in registry weight. VCP on a PSA 7 Murray rookie is $26.99. But if you think it's worth far more than that, then I suggest you buy up all the 9Q's you can find at PSA 8.5 prices. >>

A card is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what hammered says it's worth based on some rigid, pre-determined criteria.

ETA: Not all 9Q cards are equal. A 9(OC) that is almost miscut and would net grade no higher than 3 or 4 due to poor centering is not as nice as a 9(PD) that would easily get a net grade of 7 every time, and might be as high as 8 if the grader is in a good mood. I'm sorry you don't agree and find the need to insult people for it.
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I'm bummed for the OP/buyer. He thought he had his dream card... Sometimes it's best to keep it to yourself and think it's real, I guess.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm bummed for the OP/buyer. He thought he had his dream card... Sometimes it's best to keep it to yourself and think it's real, I guess. >>

the ole' ignorance is bliss theory?

IMF
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm bummed for the OP/buyer. He thought he had his dream card... Sometimes it's best to keep it to yourself and think it's real, I guess. >>

and perpetuate such fakes out there in the marketplace when he decides or needs to sell? It really does suck for the OP, but I'm glad he posted it, found out some very important advice and has time to get his money back.

Everyone makes mistakes, the OP can hopefully get his money back and learn from his mistake without it costing a decent chunk of money.
  • Options
    Three Times

Buy the card, not the holder.