Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Some pretty sweet '69 Topps baseball - UPDATED w/a coupla PSA pics :-)

image but still, how often do you meet a person who barely knows you, asks for some advice and direction on liquidating a nice collection of cards he's been keeping for 20 years or more, and then he hands you this????

the owner of this set was rather picky when it came to the keys and he definitely did the work......out of the entire set, only about 10% or so of the cards are really worth getting graded, so it was pretty amazing to see such nice condition on these cards as opposed to the average common.....i'll scan a few more of the better ones and post 'em later on.....enjoy the pics.

Comments

• Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Nice Brock...I think there is still only one in PSA 9. probably bring well over 5-6 grand if yours could find its way into a 9 holder....hard to find one somewhat centered and with no PD
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    from your lips to their ears, treetop. image

the left to right centering will hold it back i'm afraid, but the back is clean, no white tips and it measures up, so.......

......while hoping for a nice PSA 8, i'll withhold my jabs.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Very nice.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    OUCH!!!!!!!! Someone call 911 immediately.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Wow , those are pretty. The centering on every one is better than the ones I have in my set.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    very nice Reggie!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice Brock...I think there is still only one in PSA 9. probably bring well over 5-6 grand if yours could find its way into a 9 holder....hard to find one somewhat centered and with no PD >>

Sorry, but no chance whatsoever for a PSA 9...might be an 8 I think, based on the scan...but if 3 or 4 corners are frayed it will drop to a 7...and if that bottom left corner is a ding, it may drop to a 6.

In any event, still a very nice card.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the centering on the Reggie!
  • Options
    Mets and Tigers and........Bears. oh my.

• Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Beautiful cards!
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    I love 'em, Jeff. Thanks for giving us a look.
    Brett
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>from your lips to their ears, treetop. image

the left to right centering will hold it back i'm afraid, but the back is clean, no white tips and it measures up, so.......

......while hoping for a nice PSA 8, i'll withhold my jabs. >>

sure is a nice card 9 or 8 or 7!...just the dollars dropped tremendously from 9 to 8 to 7.....
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    beautiful cards. thanks and good luck with the grades.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing, some really nice cards.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Seaver is brutal ... that one rocks!
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful cards!
  • Options
    Seaver is home.....i've already brokered a deal to own this card, too nice to let it out of my sight.....if there's a nicer PSA 8 example out there, i'd love to see it.....as a collector and lover of this set, i couldn't possibly be happier with a card so beautiful, regardless of what the label says.

on the other hand, my consignor was very pleased to hear about this......

the Ryan and the Brock also received PSA 8's, i should have those back tomorrow and i'll add a few more scans then.....sadly, the Reggie received only a PSA 6, which i kind of hesitantly expected after examining the card closely and presuming that the bottom corners may have been tightened down in a screwdown and had the surface chip away upon removal.

bummer. image

but, overall a nice lot of graded 69s in the house, time to get to selling.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    wow on that Seaver!

it looks better then the Mays that got the 9
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    The Brock 8 will garner some serious bucks still I would imagine.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Very nice stuff!
  • Options
    Very nice cards, and thanks for sharing.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Did you send the Ryan in?
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    I see why you want that Seaver, nice!
  • Options

<< <i>Did you send the Ryan in? >>

yes, it received an 8, will post it tomorrow if the mailman keeps his appointment. image
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Beauuuuuutiful as usual. Great cards and thanks for showing us.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards! That Seaver is a beauty and has very mild tilt. I've been looking for an 8 that has less tilt than the one I currently own but they're tough to find. I may have to break down and buy a 9 of that card. But the last one went for a ridiculous $5k+.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice cards! That Seaver is a beauty and has very mild tilt. I've been looking for an 8 that has less tilt than the one I currently own but they're tough to find. I may have to break down and buy a 9 of that card. But the last one went for a ridiculous $5k+. >>

it is quite gratifying to find a tough card such as this one.....as i know you are someone with a vast amount of experience with this set, i appreciate your comments.

now, let's examine a couple facts:

almost 1,400 of this particular example graded by PSA with only TWELVE 9's and NO 10's.....that's a less than 1% scoop of froth at the top, and essentially, the best you could hope for on a high quality example of this card is a PSA 8 like i just received....an 8.5 you say? only 1 so far, so imagine for a moment what that card could be worth......so, yeah, i'm already thinking bump, but i'm skeptical because of slight corner softness on my card which will quite likely keep the technical opinion down, but ya never know until ya try. image

my personal belief is that this card terribly undervalued, most of the PSA 8's i've seen in recent years have that ugly tilt which you mentioned, and which one of us might be lucky enough to unearth the next 9, and more importantly, just where does a raw example of this card exist with truly straight borders????

• Options
    Nice stuff, that Brock will still bring good money as an 8 (out of my budget). Did you grade the Carlton?
  • Options
    Lefty received an 8.

and the Brock is also out of my budget, but that might not prevent me from trying to negotiate for it anyways. image
  • Options
    Let me know if he is selling the Carlton, and what his price is.
  • Options
    pm sent.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice cards! That Seaver is a beauty and has very mild tilt. I've been looking for an 8 that has less tilt than the one I currently own but they're tough to find. I may have to break down and buy a 9 of that card. But the last one went for a ridiculous $5k+. >>

it is quite gratifying to find a tough card such as this one.....as i know you are someone with a vast amount of experience with this set, i appreciate your comments.

now, let's examine a couple facts:

almost 1,400 of this particular example graded by PSA with only TWELVE 9's and NO 10's.....that's a less than 1% scoop of froth at the top, and essentially, the best you could hope for on a high quality example of this card is a PSA 8 like i just received....an 8.5 you say? only 1 so far, so imagine for a moment what that card could be worth......so, yeah, i'm already thinking bump, but i'm skeptical because of slight corner softness on my card which will quite likely keep the technical opinion down, but ya never know until ya try. image

my personal belief is that this card terribly undervalued, most of the PSA 8's i've seen in recent years have that ugly tilt which you mentioned, and which one of us might be lucky enough to unearth the next 9, and more importantly, just where does a raw example of this card exist with truly straight borders???? >>

Typical price for a 9 is around $700 (excepting that one that sold for $5k) which seems like a relative bargain for that card. Having said that, most of the 9s linked in VCP I would deem to be on the weaker side. PWCC sold a strong looking 9 a few years back for just over a grand.
  • Options
    here's the Ryan.....not too shabby.....

and Lou.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • Options
    That is a Major League Lou.
    Doran I have a 69 PSA 8 Carlton which will be up for sale soon.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Options
    Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    Nice cards!!!

Dave
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice stuff. The Seaver is beautiful.