Home Precious Metals
Options

Dollar Index getting pounded

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
Metals could go loop-de-loop again tonight.
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gentle Ben's job tomorrow is to make the dollar bounce. This just gives him a running start. The gap down is a sure sign it will head back up.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know what Santelli's been saying about the bond market? I've been out of pocket a couple days.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know what Santelli's been saying about the bond market? I've been out of pocket a couple days. >>

Santelli Bond Report Jmski.

or:

OR?

Or This..
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know what Santelli's been saying about the bond market? I've been out of pocket a couple days. >>

Bond price have rallied (yield down) sharply the last few weeks. The 10yr yield has dropped from 3.6 to 3.32.

Im watching them closely as I believe there will be a substantial trade. Just not sure which way. Buyers jumped at the drop in prices on the S&P negative credit-watch bs. I can see the 10yr trading at 3% just as easily as 4%
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Last I checked gold was up about $2 in the asian markerts.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold is headed to $2100 in the near term.

Silver will be along directly if it doesn't lead the way.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My business includes a travel component, and let me tell you - business travel is getting more expensive.

The relationship between precious metals prices and The Real Interest Rate is quite measurable and reliable.

If bonds are going up (rates down) and if inflation (travel costs) are going up, then The Real Interest Rate (the spread between bond rates and the rate of inflation) is Increasing.

And that means that precious metals are going up.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My business includes a travel component, and let me tell you - business travel is getting more expensive >>

You don't say?image

I'm going to Chicago for Central States tomorrow and then on to Tokyo on Friday. Toyko plus the weak dollar makes for MT Pockets for MJ. Tokyo will make Chicago feel like Des Moines Iowa expense wise.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    The Bernank speaks, and the world responds:
    dollar index linky
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    As I write this, the dollar index is now below 73. Wow, what a drop in one day!

Great news for PMs. But I have a bad feeling overall. Will it go below 72 within the next day or two? Could today's "The Bernanke" speech be the catalyst for a global shunning of the dollar?

Fortunately I rearranged my portfolio on Monday and now only have funds in commodities, precious metals, currency (that protect against a falling dollar), and foreign. The recession of 2008 started when the dollar index was around 71 something. Can the U.S. stock market handle a dollar index below 72? I just have a bad feeling we'll see the market tank very soon. Tell me where I'm wrong.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This three-minute video is as good an inflation primer as any. No narration present or necessary.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why worry Moxie? Our leaders think it's fine.........insert facetious emotion icon here

Aussie---1.09
    Cando---1.05
    Swiss Franc----1.15

Not only did these currencies blow through parity the are now clubbing the dollar like a baby seal

Even the lowly Euro is running rampant against the greenback and knocking @ 1.49.

HOWEVER, lot's of folks are piling into this short dollar trade and the boat is leaning all in one direction.....caution Will Robinson

Long term the directions remains clear. The Dollar is in trouble.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dollar is toast. Unfortunately most Americans don't want to hear the reality of it and consider it unpatriotic speculation. This leaves them unprepared for the future and to suffer dearly with the outcome. They continue to put their faith in a central bank whose policy will save them. They don't won't to hear that this very policy has watered down the value of everything they own, is robbing them blind and has doomed them as well as their children.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Isn't Zimbabwe using U.S. Dollars now?
    Didn't they learn ANYTHING from their last currency fiasco????