Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For safety reasons, I would keep it slabbed. Well protected in a slab.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one I would keep slabbed.
  • Since it's an AU coin you don't have to worry about lowering the grade.

I'd crack it out and enjoy it.....
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.

• << <i>Since it's an AU coin you don't have to worry about lowering the grade.

I'd crack it out and enjoy it..... >>

Thare ya go!image I was starting to think I was alone in this. I specifically picked a circulated example for this poll, because I seriously doubt that I'd crack an MS example (or be able to afford one in the first place).

Oh, I wouldn't be carrying it in my pocket or something extreme like that, but for me there seems to be a pull that just makes me wanna hold those old hammered coins (or fondle them, as LordM says).
  • I'd crack it...

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd crack it out and enjoy it..... >>

I guess I am not old-school, but I can't see how I would enjoy it more if cracked out.

It's safer and easier to dispose of (for my heirs) in the slab.

By the way, I LOVE the coin. Kind of reminds me of a nice Carlos & Johana 4R I have (also NGC AU-58).
  • That is one of the "must-have" coins for me. Don't know when or how, but one of these years I'll find a way to pick one up.image
  • mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭
    I would leave it as it, if you want to hold the real thing in your hand, just purchase a raw one. BTW, how much does this coin cost?

• << <i>I would leave it as it, if you want to hold the real thing in your hand, just purchase a raw one. BTW, how much does this coin cost? >>

Probably close to ten grand or more for a decent problem-free AU example. I'd have to look up recent auction prices though, they may cost more than that these days.

<< <i>That is one of the "must-have" coins for me. Don't know when or how, but one of these years I'll find a way to pick one up.image >>

Are you talking about the C&J 4R? If you want an early-series, there are some very nice ones coming up here, here, here, here, and here.

Of course, they are retreads from the Millennia Collection, but hey they still are nice coins.
    Ten grand, wow, no way I'm cracking this coin out of the holder!!!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it in the holder- seriously

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• << <i>

<< <i>That is one of the "must-have" coins for me. Don't know when or how, but one of these years I'll find a way to pick one up.image >>

Are you talking about the C&J 4R? If you want an early-series, there are some very nice ones coming up here, here, here, here, and here.

Of course, they are retreads from the Millennia Collection, but hey they still are nice coins. >>

Those are very cool, I don't think I've seen such nice examples before, thanks for the links. In the quote above I meant to refer to the pine tree shilling though, sorry 'bout that. The pine tree shilling is one U.S. coin that still really speaks to me.

• << <i>Leave it in the holder- seriously >>

Is resale the issue, or protection? I'd reslab it before selling it, but I really wanna actually hold the coin and not just the plastic.image

You ancients collectors know what I'm talking about, right?
  • In fact, I should mention that I own a grand total of ONE (1) slabbed coin these days. It's an old English jeton that I wanted authenticated, and it graded a stunning F15. Not sure why I haven't popped it back out yet, either. I guess because it costs so much to get them in there in the first place.

I see your point though about keeping the shilling in it's holder, and odds are that I'll never have to actually face the decision.image
    Oh, I understand. I thought you already owned the Pine Tree piece. Your question was hypothetical, then.

Pity you missed it. It was a beauty!
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Anything that pricey, I'd leave slabbed. Or, if I just wanted to hold it for reasons of personal affection, I'd CAREFULLY crack it, enjoy it briefly, and then resubmit it ... preferably all while at the same coin show. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    No way I crack that puppy. As idiosyncratic as the TPG companies are, it could easily come back in a problem holder. Why is this an issue? If/when you (or your heirs) ever decide to sell the coin, this is the very kind of coin that any smart buyer is going to INSIST be certified.

It's in a real holder now; why take a gamble on getting it reholdered? What happens if, upon resubmission, it takes 3 (or more) tries to get back into a no-problem holder? What if it comes back AU53?

AU58 is a fine grade for this type of coin. I wouldn't tempt fate just to be able to fondle the coin.

Not to mention that someone else's fondling could in fact turn the coin into an AU53... or worse.

Too many downsides, not enough upsides.

• << <i>No way I crack that puppy. As idiosyncratic as the TPG companies are, it could easily come back in a problem holder. Why is this an issue? If/when you (or your heirs) ever decide to sell the coin, this is the very kind of coin that any smart buyer is going to INSIST be certified.

It's in a real holder now; why take a gamble on getting it reholdered? What happens if, upon resubmission, it takes 3 (or more) tries to get back into a no-problem holder? What if it comes back AU53?

AU58 is a fine grade for this type of coin. I wouldn't tempt fate just to be able to fondle the coin.

Not to mention that someone else's fondling could in fact turn the coin into an AU53... or worse.

Too many downsides, not enough upsides. >>

Hmmm.... I guess I just don't care as much about TPG opinions, from the multiple submission tales I've read. I like the coin (although I don't own it and probably never will), and I'd buy it because I like it, not because of a stated grade. I don't see it dropping from 58 to 53 by minor handling, but who knows?

As for resale, I agree that it should be reholdered before selling ( I stated that earlier on in this thread), but this is one coin I think I'd want to hold on to for the long haul. I doubt that a family member selling a coin like this would get near what it's worth without a numismatist accompanying them in the sale. It's really my hope that one of my kids takes an iterest in the collection rather than it's value, but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one.

I am using CoinWorld slabs right now for most of my collection, that way they're protected and still accessible. It's been working well for me, but I see your side of this discussion, too.

Anyway, it was just a hypothetical question to see how you all felt about slabbed versus raw, I was merely curious.
  • BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    WOW Nice coin !!

Although I'm a "Cracker" I would choose to leave that baby in it's tomb, due to it's value.
  • questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    Leave it slabbed for protection. The future will thank you.

<< <i>It's really my hope that one of my kids takes an iterest in the collection rather than it's value, but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one. >>

Adopt me, I'll be a good kid image

<< <i>I am using CoinWorld slabs right now for most of my collection, that way they're protected and still accessible. It's been working well for me, but I see your side of this discussion, too. >>

Yep, started using BCW slabs for my cheapos.

• << <i>Adopt me, I'll be a good kid image >>

image According to my kids, you'd be getting the bad end of that deal.

This poll has been very enlightening. I figured a lot more of you would vote to crack it out, but I guess I'm the oddball here. No big deal, I'm used to it.image

Thanks everyone for your input.