Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When a coin's weight and diameter are "off"...

Recently picked up a copper piece for my Type Set, what appeared to be a very nice raw coin from a very reputable dealer - a consignment coin, I was told.

Problem was, it didn't fit into the Type Set album slot, was larger in diameter than every other same series coin I tried, and scale showed weight was .07 grams higher.

The coin has been authenticated as genuine.

Wondering how common this might be, and if others have had similar situation?
UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
Beats All The Lies You Can Invent

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Similar, mine was too small and I had to cut a shim to keep it in the right place.
    Becky
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    My son had the same problem with a Bust half dollar in his 7070. I think it's fairly common for the older coins to be off a little.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My son had the same problem with a Bust half dollar in his 7070. I think it's fairly common for the older coins to be off a little. >>

What he says. The question is meaningless without giving the denomination and a date range.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When measured how far off is the diameter? Can it be the folder?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The large cents vary in size by date; what's the date of the coin?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obiwan's coin is a 1859 Indian cent. He sent it to me to authenticate and it is indeed a real coin and is slightly larger diameter. It is struck with a larger collar than normal, not made wider by some after-strike widening. I will post images later.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Common problem with 1/2 cents and some large cents as well.

bobimage

Ooops, EagleEye makes my point moot.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    He said copper and I assumed large....image
    Becky
  • Options
    Merely struck in a worn collar. In the second half of the 20th century, the Mint made cent collars with a hole 0.72 of an inch when new. Standard is 0.75 inch. When the hole wore out to 0.78 inch, they retired the collar, or drilled it out and used it for nickels.

I don't know what the variance allowed was in 1859, but it was probably greater than in 1959. I used to use KoinTains a lot, and the copper-nickel cents were always a beach to fit properly.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are the images.

The comparison coin is a XF 1864 CN.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting those, Rick... It would seem I'll have to carve a thin slice out of the Type album... and to answer Todd's question, it's an Intercept Shield album...

It would also seem this variance isn't necessarily uncommon for the series - or any series of the time, for that matter. As some have indicated, this apparently isn't unique to IHC's...

Thanks again Rick!!

UBERCOINER

• Options
    I wonder...

Would anyone's chin drop, if I took a Dremel to the album slot, and opened it up just a weeeeee bit?

UBERCOINER

• Options
    Might work too fast. Do you have a round or rattail file?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but I would be very concerned if you took a dremel to the 1859 cent!
    As expected, Rick came up with a very good explanation.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    When a coin's weight and diameter are "off"...

Perhaps its made in China?????image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting. Ive been seeing all sorts of weights and diameters with the feuchtwangers, up to 1 mm or more , nearly 10 grains weight. What puzzles me here this is a reeded piece.....
  • Options

<< <i>Might work too fast. Do you have a round or rattail file? >>

I do, but this is cardboard we're talkin' here... it would probably shred with the action. Something like a Dremel, tightly controlled, might do the trick. Otherwise, the only option I can see is cutting... such a task is out of my comfort zone...
    UBERCOINER

• Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Even better than a Dremel would be a Light Canoli. The numismatists weapon of choice.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You also might try using a modern cent in the hole held 90 degrees from the normal coin position, and rotated to wear and stretch the hole a little, to prevent the dust that would be generated by cutting or sanding.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>Even better than a Dremel would be a Light Canoli. The numismatists weapon of choice. >>

UBERCOINER

• Options
    Update:

I worked the rim of the album slot on the obverse side, enough that though snug, the IHC offered only minor resistance. It now occupies a proud and exhalted place in my TS album. For now, anyway...

I imagine at some point I will send it in for grading, but for now, I'm content.

UBERCOINER

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file