Home Precious Metals
Options

Today someone said on the tube that there is about 17 times more silver than gold in the ground.

Does that sound right?

Comments

• Options
    Ultimately , how we anyone know or be able to put an accurate figure/ratio ? Vast areas on the world are untouched , i always thought Australia was prime prospecting ground as is large areas of Arizona that are off limits to the public in regards prospecting or much of anything else.Im sure theres lots of other examples.
  • Options
    I go to a place called Quartzite Arizona every year and use a metal detector in the areas around town. I find small gold nuggets every day I look for them. The nuggets are small but they are gold!
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did his eyeballs have that "xray vision" look about them?

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭

<< <i>Does that sound right? >>

18.75:1
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Today someone said on the tube that there is about 17 times more silver than gold in the ground.

yeah, that's why one is $1500 and the other is $47. Could it be that simple? image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    i dont think it was by accident or wild guess that the historic value ratio of 16:1 was used. Even way back when, geologists had a good idea that gold was 16 times rarer than silver. image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wiki lists a ratio of around 26-1 in the earth's crust. So what?

None of this is really worth a darn as the only thing that matters is what technology is currently available to bring silver to the surface, and at what ratio it's economically
    recovered at. The production ratio of silver to gold is about 8-1 to 9-1. That's all that matters. It's not changing overnight or even next year either. As long as there
    is an investment/monetary demand for silver, then the current ratio of 32-1 will gravitate towards 9-1. Who cares what's in the crust if can't get brought up at a ratio
    of 26X or 16X gold? And the fact that we aren't currently bringing it up near fast enough to meet total demand speaks volumes.

Even more interesting is that numerous experts agree that about 45 BILL oz of silver have been mined in world history....about 5 BILL gold ounces. 9-1 ratio again!
    Even if all that silver still existed, which it doesn't, that would suggest at most a 9-1 price ratio between these two IF both are functioning as purely monetary metals.
    Over the past 10 yrs the miners have had to triple their ore processed to get the same net ounces. Ore grades have plummeted as the easy pickings are gone. It's going
    to take some amazing new technology to expose hidden reserves. Right now the miners are digging up to miles deep and many miles high in the mountains to find PM's.
    Mines on the drawing board today will be coming on line in 2015-2010, probably just after the final peak in silver prices. It did the same thing in the 1980's.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its probably much greater than that.

Just add up the silver and gold up for sale on the BST. Whats the ratio?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear