Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Most valuable lowest denomination: Where?

Since 9/30 last year, the Swedish 50-öre coin is no longer legal tender, making the 1-krona coin the lowest denomination. At the current exchange rate 1 krona is US 16.4 cents (or 11.2 Euro cents).

Is there any country where the lowest coin denomination (legal tender and/or circulating) is worth more?

Auto
A grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a coin corresponds to an undefinable level of an unattainable state of preservation. - Never tell me that grading is science.

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Sweden might be the record holder as far as a fully independent circulation coinage is concerned.

You can find examples of higher denominations from countries which have only issued supplementary or partial coinages.

The Turks and Caicos islands coinage is denominated in "crowns" where 1 crown = 1 US dollar; they use US dollars in everyday trade but in 1981 also issued their own quarter-crown and half-crown coins which circulated at par with US quarters and halves; I've seen heavily circulated examples of these coins, so they did circulate, but the lowest denomination in the Turks and Caicos was and is the US 1 cent.

The member-states of the Central African States monetary union use a common currency, but the 100 franc denomination coins up until 1992 were issued in the names of individual countries; these are in effect the only "circulation coins issued in the name of" these countries; 100 francs is currently 22 US cents, but the smallest coins in use there are the common issue 2 francs.

For "legal tender", you can find even sillier examples, from countries that have never issued circulation coins at all. Benin's smallest coin is 200 francs (= 44 US cents). American Samoa, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Palau and Pitcairn Island have all never issued anything smaller than a dollar. Alderney and a few other flag-of-convenience "countries' for the Pobjoy Mint have never issued anything with a face value below one pound. For several Caribbean states (such as Montserrat) the smallest (or the only) coin is the $4 each of them struck in 1970.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)