Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2006 Topps Alex Gordon cutout question/theory

I have a 2006 Topps Alex Gordon cutout. I bought it in order to complete my set. However, in looking on Ebay, I am noticing 2 versions of it and one of the version has me really, really skeptical.

The actual area of the cutout on mine is relatively small and you can actually verify that this card was in fact a full Alex Gordon card in the past. You can see the card number on the back.

Mine is like this - 2006 Topps Alex Gordon cutout

Now, I am noticing another version that is very fishy to me. This version only show the border of the card. You cannot make out what card this was in the past. For all I know, it could have been ANY card from 2006. You cannot see the number or the team or part of the player name. Even Beckett has graded one of these.

Fishy raw

Fishy BGS

Shane

Comments

• Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    From what I have heard there were always 5 versions of this card.

1. Full Card

2. Cut out

3. Frame (just the outside border)

4. Whiteout with gold letters

5. Whiteout with silver letters

Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    what rich said
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what rich said >>

yup, agree
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options

<< <i>From what I have heard there were always 5 versions of this card.

1. Full Card

2. Cut out

5. Whiteout with silver letters >>

This is fishy. Are these "whiteout" version printed with full backs? I seem to recall them being blank.

If not, then anyone could have made these. Topps didn't print any 2006 cards with gold foil names.
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

1. Full Card

2. Cut out

This is fishy. Are these "whiteout" version printed with full backs? I seem to recall them being blank.

If not, then anyone could have made these. Topps didn't print any 2006 cards with gold foil names. >>

Actually the gold letters are the common version and the silver letters are impossible to come by ., so I D K ?
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    All the legit ones you can actually still see the name, all the others are fake. Back when these were getting serious money, people were cutting up common cards
    and selling them. I am still amazed that idiots are still paying big money for these.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

1. Full Card

2. Cut out

If not, then anyone could have made these. Topps didn't print any 2006 cards with gold foil names. >>

Actually the gold letters are the common version and the silver letters are impossible to come by ., so I D K ? >>

That may be the case with these "whiteout" or blank cards, but if they were legitimately produced by Topps, why would Alex Gordon's base card be the only one in the 2006 Topps set that they produced in a gold foil name/team name variation? No other players from that set have a gold name/team variation. From my understanding, these cards are just blank cardboard, front and back, with the same foil design stamped on front. That just screams of 'fake item produced to cash in on the craze upon release.'
    My Error & Variation Blog

Collecting Robin Ventura and Matt Luke.
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Looking at the rear photo in the raw card auction link you provided I would say you can see enough to determine which card it is. But you can't from the front only.