Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Group Rip time!! GPK Series #1 SOLD OUT PAY UP !!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    celloscellos Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Nice pulls so far. I haven't gotten mine yet and I am curious if the cards have a glossy or a matte back?
  • Options

<< <i>Where can we find some prices on some of these cards online? I pulled a 1a. and a 1b. nasty nick and evil eddie maybe 8's centering is tough on them. Scans soon. >>

1a and 1b in a grade of 8 would probably be around $60-$75, 9's would be around $100 and 10's are several hundred. The only other highly desirable cards are 8a and 8b and they bring similar prices. All of the other cards would be about $20-25 in a 9 and $100 or slightly more in a 10 with the exception of a couple of the high pop 10's which would bring less than that.
  • Options
    Got a buyer at those prices ? I'm in !
  • Options

<< <i>If I had life to do over again, I would not have stuck all of these all over my books and onto index cards. Love this thread! image >>

pfft... so not cool... if you were cool you would've been sticking them all over your trapper keeper!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    ahhh that sweet sound of velcro.
  • Options

<< <i> This is quite fun and have come to the conclusion that non sports cards can be as fun as the now boring 75 topps stuff or whatever >>

To have them together though, a pack of 75 Mini and an original pack of 85 Garbage Pail Kids, it's so damn exhilarating! It's like watching two girls make out in front of you!
  • Options

<< <i>Got a buyer at those prices ? I'm in ! >>

If you pulled 1a in a 10 I would buy it but other than that I would say get them graded if you feel they are good enough and put them on ebay. The commons wont move as fast as 1a, 1b, 8a, 8b but there will still be interest. Just search completed auctions for "garbage pail kids psa" and that shoud give you a rough idea.
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Damn! Nick is nasty.........
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    If anybody pulls a gradable Wacky Jacky I'm VERY interested. Paypal ready, LMK. Check my bucket.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If anybody pulls a gradable Wacky Jacky I'm VERY interested. Paypal ready, LMK. Check my bucket. >>

LOL "Check my Bucket"

You kill me Lee
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Must see >>

Nice gloves.

• Options

<< <i>Must see >>

Kinda makes the box (of cards) look small.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Must see >>

Kinda makes the box (of cards) look small. >>

There is a box of cards in that picture? image
  • Options
    Out of 10 packs i have 11 going to PSA soon. Blasted Billy will probably only be PSA 8 or 9oc. I got one Nasty Nick in the very last pack but of course it was the only non-gum card to have any major damage...a big ding on the border

• Options
    I gather 'off center' is gauged the same as sports cards with these. I better pull back a couple I was going to send in.

Cool cards !!

Dutymon, hook us up with another rip of some kind !
  • Options
    jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    These cards bring back a flood of memories. I had a ton of 3rd series and quite a few second series. These 1st series cards were the ones I was always wanted! I somehow ended up with half a dozen first series cards, but never anything like the quality of the ones you posted!
  • Options
    Afternoon,

Got my 5 packs and have the first 8 in Card Savers that are making the trip to PSA. Of course the only Adom Bomb I got had a little speckles of damage from the gum. Over all quite happy, it was fun and I think two of them have legit shots at 10, the other 6 are just dressing so they feel justified in giving away the two 10's. They should be 4 nines and two eights.

YeeHahimage

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    anyone have a nice "Itchy Richie" -- lol

PM ME !
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    I just opened my 2 packs and most of mine are OC as well but still nice. The best part about these cards are that they are the more desirable glossy back and not the matte back. I'm guessing everyone should have gotten glossy back unless the previous owner pieced the box together pack by pack. It sounds like everyone that got a Nasty Nick didn't get a 10 but if you get one that comes back a 9 I may still buy it if you want to part with it.

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    My one pack. Itchy Richy has a shot at 9.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Series one is so sweet! My packs must be at home, or at PO waiting!
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Afternoon,

Had so much fun with this that I bought the Box of series II from Steve this morning. So explain how exactly you can tell for sure if you have the Glossy back versus the Matte back finish on the series #1, is it just an obvious observation?

Thanks
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    It's hard to see in a scan but the glossy back has a much brighter yellow border and of course a glossy finish on back. The front of the cards are always the same regardless of glossy or matte. It's much easier to tell when you hold the two side by side but here is a scan of two identical cards, one glossy on the left, and one matte on the right.

• Options
    I just purchased a full box. Wish me luck!! I'll post some pics in the Non Sports Forum when I rip
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Where did you buy it from?
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a skin in this game, but I have to ask
    Why does #8 sell for a premium?
  • Options
    Got it from someone I deal with for $900...only one he had. #8 sells for a premium because it's the symbol of GPK. Most iconic image for these.
  • Options

<< <i>Got it from someone I deal with for $900...only one he had. #8 sells for a premium because it's the symbol of GPK. Most iconic image for these. >>

Nice price on that box. I'm still looking for a mint Nasty Nick if you happen to pull one.
  • Options
    Me too Cellos...actually my fave non sport card. I will be grading every #1 that is atleast a 7 but not grading until August probably. I should have about 1,000 cards to grade by then. Hope you get one before that!
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Great GPK bust. I use to have sets, series 3-13 as a kid. So far, I've only bought a box of 4 and 5 to rebuild my collection.

Did anyone have series 1 cards as a kid? #8, Adam Bomb, is like the Mona Lisa, of GPK. Very iconic. Remember how they were going to corrupt the youth of the 80's? Maybe they did. Great 80's nostalgia.
  • Options

<< <i>Great GPK bust. I use to have sets, series 3-13 as a kid. So far, I've only bought a box of 4 and 5 to rebuild my collection.

Did anyone have series 1 cards as a kid? #8, Adam Bomb, is like the Mona Lisa, of GPK. Very iconic. Remember how they were going to corrupt the youth of the 80's? Maybe they did. Great 80's nostalgia. >>

I had series 1 as a kid. Matte backs, had a full set and many doubles. About 9 years ago I sold a full set of poor condition cards for a great price and I didn't sell my doubles, triples etc. and the rest of series 1-8. I wish I had never sold them because my cards from my youth are kinda sacred to me. I remember when they came out all the kids wanted them and I would get a pack every day at a pool club I went to for a quarter.
  • Options
    ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    I remember taking doubles that I had and wrapping them up in tissue paper. I took them to school and sold them for .50 a piece. Each had 4 and the "lucky pack" had 5. haha
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496

<< <i>I had series 1 as a kid. Matte backs, had a full set and many doubles. About 9 years ago I sold a full set of poor condition cards for a great price and I didn't sell my doubles, triples etc. and the rest of series 1-8. I wish I had never sold them because my cards from my youth are kinda sacred to me. I remember when they came out all the kids wanted them and I would get a pack every day at a pool club I went to for a quarter. >>

I have very powerful memories of GPK as a kid. Wow.

I remember the humor at the time was like, Bill Murray, Mad Magazine, there was a certain 80's humor that GPK tapped into. One of my friends had series 3 cards, I think there was a short print in the set. I would bust pack after pack, I never got a certain card. And none of my other friends had it. The Messy Tessie series 2 card was pretty iconic.

That was one of the holy grails when I was a kid.

Selling your childhood toys isn't good. I remember selling my micro machines, muscle men and some others. The 80's were great to be a kid. Goonies, GPK, BMX bikes? Marbles. Great saturday morning cartoons. It was like a fantasy land.
  • Options
    ....Muscle Men! I think they wound up in the garbage when I moved. 80's toys were great!
  • Options
    I hereby bring you back from the depths of the PSA forum basement as you answered my question about glossy vs matte backs. THANK YOU CELLOS WHEREVER YOU ARE!

Edited to add: Oh dang, everyones looking at me...I must be in the wrong room... image