Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian quarters silver content question

I have 1967 and 1968 Canadian quarters which are the 80%?
Is there a difference in weight?

This is from coinflation:
The Canadian Mint issued two compositions of the dime and quarter in 1967 and again in 1968. In 1967, there is the standard 80% silver/20% copper variety and the 50% silver/50% copper type. In mid-year 1968, they changed the quarter and dime from 50% silver/50% copper to a 99% nickel composition.
World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Comments

• Options
    What i'm seeing in Krause is the 1967 was done in both .800 and .500 with no difference in weight or design or size.Both are 5.8319g and 23.8mm.

1968 the weight changes from 5.8319g to 5.0600g as it changes from .500 silver to nickel.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why couldn't they all be 1966, take all the guess work out image
    They all sound like silver when I drop them on my desk.
    I'd like to sell them but I want to be sure what I have, so I don't screw myself or the buyer.
  • Options
    I dont know why they didnt change something in 67 , even the reverse would have been the thing to do.Theres absolutely no way to tell if its .800 or .500 for that year.We do have a few experts in Canada coinage , maybe they know something we don't and isn't in Krause.
  • Options
    Thanks James for your help, a reverse change would've been nice.
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    Perhaps a maple leaf would have been appropriate?
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it was a conscious decision by the mint to subvert Gresham's law...?
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks James for your help, a reverse change would've been nice. >>

Your very welcome Morgansforever , it's nice to be able to help out on occasion. I thought for sure we'd see a Canadian expert weigh in as to the why's and wherefores and maybe even a trick to how to tell them apart , there has to be one.
  • Options
    You would think that there is some sort of know how, to tell them apart.
    Guess I'll keep em, until I have a definative answer.
  • Options
    I thought i could google my way to success MF , if there was a way to tell it would be out there somewhere. From what i can see and find there is no way to tell them apart.A suggestion is the ring test with the theory the higher the purity of silver the higher pitched ring , sounds fine in theory but it carries a footnote of this is learned with experience.I don't imagine theres much difference in the ring pitch , it's all ya got though and heres the kicker , most buyers are aware of the 67 problem and what they do or have done is work out paying for 67.5 % in bulk rather than 80% or 50% , its apparantly the done thing to split the difference with this one.