Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Just sharing a few proof set images...recent buys

For background, my latest "thing" is trying to locate really nice examples from Great Britain AND from British possessions
(or former British possessions) like Canada of course, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, British Virgin Islands, India,
Bahamas, Mauritius, Gibraltar, Straits Settlement, British West Indies, etc.

PCGS won't likely put up a set like this, but what I'm try to put together is a best example of coinage, maybe only 1
"type" coin, from each of those countries into a set that I'll call "Rule Britannia". Look you have to some kind of goals at my
age or you might as well just ride on out. And a major goal for me is to leave something that the grand kids will
hopefully enjoy and maybe cash in on in 15-20 years or so.

It can be danged expensive, or relatively inexpensive, depending on the makeup of the set, how lucky I am at located
nice examples at reasonable prices, etc.

Since it won't likely end up as a bona fide Registry Set, I'll just play in my own sandbox and put it up as a specialty set
that PCGS has made provisions for to accommodate coin lunatics like myself.

Anyway, here are a few examples of some cherry picks from proof sets I've run across. As most proof set buyers know,
@^&^**!! SPOTS that ruin any chance of a decent grade. So what might
otherwise be a decent purchase becomes pretty expensive when you can only pull one or two high quality examples out.

I do have a dealer that will buy the remnants (at a bargain price of course) so I recoup a bit. But I really don't even
want to know what the danged things are actually costing or I'd probably quit.

Here are a few that I really like though.

Hope the graders do....image

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
It's just that I got my PCGS grades.

Comments