Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Maundy Thursday Video--Queen Elizabeth II

The Maundy Thursday ceremony coincided with Queen Elizabeth's 85th birthday this year. She handed out to 85 men and women two coin purses during the ceremony at Westminster Abbey, according to NPR reports.

A red coin purse contained a 5 pound ($8) coin commemorating the 90th birthday of her husband, Prince Philip, and a 50 pence coin marking the 2012 London Olympic Games. The second coin purse, a white one, contained specially minted Maundy money with 1, 2, 3 and 4 pence pieces totaling 85 pence for each recipient.

The term "Maundy" comes from Latin mandatum "commandment," referring to Jesus' "new commandment" to love one another that He made at the Last Supper as He washed the feet of His disciples, as recounted in John 13:34.

Here's a video of the ceremony.

Best Regards, George
VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

Comments

• Options
    Really cool!

Thanks for posting that....image
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This got me to thinking ... assuming that Her Majesty had to use at least one coin of each denomination -- 1, 2, 3, and 4 pence -- to make up the total of 85 pence in each bag, what is the least number of coins she could have used to make up the total? (Perhaps she had help in the calculations from the Chancellor of the Exchequer.)
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    19 x 4 pence, 2 x 3 pence, 1 x 2 pence, 1 x 1 pence = 85 pence using only 23 coins...?
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson