Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grade Sweat. It's a PCGS thing....:+)

I don't know others here handle it when they see the message from PCGS that grades are available to add
to your coin inventory.

For my part, I sweat the grades like a poker player sweats a hand of Texas Hold'em, peeking at one grade at a time
with a cup of coffee or a shot of Scotch at hand.

This means bringing the grades up just below the visible line and ticking them up, one grade at a time, (usually cussing a bit
as each grade rears it's ugly head), and moving on to the next disappointment.

But i have a preliminary ritual, a kind of mental preparation for the worst-like most people do when they're waiting
for the results of their annual physical. Something like, for example, "OK if I have high blood pressure or early symptoms
of jungle rot, but for God's sake no pancreatic cancer or liver disease".

On this submission, with 9 coins graded, I go into a mental preparation something like this....

All right, if I get 3 out of the 9 that will upgrade my set I'll be happy, Of the other 6, if I get three that I can sell on
Ebay I'm just fine. The other 3 little axxholes can just go in my junk box and I'm one happy camper with 6 out of the 9
that are actually worth something.

Frankly it usually works out pretty much along those lines. And while I always wish it could have been better I'm pretty
much prepared for the worst, so I don't sling my coffee, kick the cat or go out into a field with a Luger.

This was one of those happy times, when each grade that came up served as reaffirmation "Damn John, you actually DO
know how to grade a coin!!"

So I thought I'd share it here since nobody in my household even knows what the hell I'm talking about image

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
It's just that I got my PCGS grades.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are really reshuffling the pop report my friend. WOW!
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Way to go, John! image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great write up... nice grades too

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did two of the Maundy coins get PR and the other MS?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    WalterWalter Posts: 145 ✭✭
    I sent in a '37 set too. All my maundy proofs came back MS, the rest of the set came back PR. I'm not sure what their thought process there is.
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    I'd like to search through your junkbox... image Another mans junk is another mans treasure!!! So many shiny things but so little to spend on them. I want nice but not so nice that I can't afford them to begin with.

Just my rambling mind wandering around tonight. Congrats on the grades!!!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    Someone who's a student of the series may know better than I, but I think the reason that PCGS often
    conflates maundy proofs with mint state could be that the dies or proof strikings, since they are so tiny, may not
    be as sharp, or perhaps the planchets not highly polished enough. I just know that the other 2 posters
    are correct-maundy coins out of the same set may well come back with a mix of proof and mint state grades.

Thanks for the nice comments on the grades.

I'm not posting the ones I just received this morning but it was another outstanding result with 2 Proof 68s
    some Proof 67 cameo grades and, out of 8 coins--all British from the 30's to the 50's-7 made I only had
    one come back PR 64-the others all higher.

I used to think it might be something in the water in the PCGS grading room. Now-by examining all the coins
    that don't make it very closely-I'm finally seeing how various minute flaws in strike, lustre and marks are
    going to affect the grade and being much more careful in what I submit.

If that sounds like a "Duh", you got the drift image
  • Options
    Rick, cost is one reason that I have focus on the more modern series-still pre-decimal and with silver content (pre 1967)
    mostly mid 40's through the 50's, to be able to buy the kind of quality that I hope and believe will appreciate in
    time and maybe be of some value to our grand kids. At one time I was able to afford some of the earlier pieces
    in high grade but have had to change my focus considerably in my retirement years.

Honestly my "junk box" is probably no better than yours in terms of value.

Regards......
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This was one of those happy times, when each grade that came up served as reaffirmation "Damn John, you actually DO
    know how to grade a coin!!" >>

imageimageimage

And I'm so jealous - you guys have junk boxes! I don't have a junk box image