Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Sending coins to the US

I need to send a couple of coins to the US for appraisal, the coins will be returned after a short time. My question is, what if any is the import duty going into the US for silver coins. The insured value is going to be £250. TIA Gary

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never had to pay a duty on coins sent to me here in the US.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me neithers - I once got a 10 kilogramme parcel of Australian pennies in the mail that was heavy and obviously money - but no problems with customs.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

• << <i>I have never had to pay a duty on coins sent to me here in the US. >>

Was the full value declared though?
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    That's something I've never bothered to research, but I've never had to pay any import duty either. I got a $1600 package from Israel a few weeks ago, but I don't remember if the full value or foreign equivalent was marked.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I have & am sick of FedEx socking it to me on the receiving end...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • I regularly buy both gold and silver coins from a dealer in England , ive never been charged anything at this end nor has he mentioned paying any import duty.Ive been buying off the same guys since 2007 so almost 4 years @ 2 or 3 , sometimes more , coins a month.His customs sticker just says numismatic item and the value.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no Customs duty on numismatic items entering the US. That said, under certain circumstances--and I do not know what they may be--it may be necessary to have a Customs Broker do a formal entry and pay him a fee for doing so. I suspect the circumstances are a "high-value" package (> ~$2000), the recipient being a coin dealer (items for resale), or a package they suspect has prohibited items (certain ancient coins). But that is only a guess.

FedEx handles brokering your package if so required, but the post office does not. If you ship via the post office and Customs impounds your package because it needs formal entry, they will send you a letter so stating. It will be up to the recipient to hire the broker or handle the paperwork himself.

As always, YMMV.