Home U.S. Coin Forum

recently 2 1936/29-s FS-110 Mercs Sold on the Bay

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Did you purchase either?

I do like the first example in the slab. Second one looks cleaned and retoned.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    No. I didn't purchase either. I have my XF45 and my Genuine which are good enough for now.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• That raw auction, with the 6 makes me think 36/23 not 29?

<< <i>That raw auction, with the 6 makes me think 36/23 not 29? >>

It has been suggested 36/28 by others, too.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could not see the overdate on his pics only Tony's.

Run away as fast as you can!
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the first one would go 65 at PCGS...the toning is terrible...you cannot see the overdate and it is not marked on the holder. Whoever bought took a bit of a risk. In regards to the guy using your photo, you should still file a complaint...he was using your photo for PROFIT, not education. The raw coin looks like it could be AU.

Thankfully, these are not FB like mine because these things went cheap. I am surprised I missed the listings...I guess there were a couple of days where I was not looking....but then I only look for slabbed coins.

Mine prior to it crossing to PCGS at MS65FB
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

<< <i>I think the first one would go 65 at PCGS...the toning is terrible...you cannot see the overdate and it is not marked on the holder. Whoever bought took a bit of a risk. In regards to the guy using your photo, you should still file a complaint...he was using your photo for PROFIT, not education. The raw coin looks like it could be AU.

Thankfully, these are not FB like mine because these things went cheap. I am surprised I missed the listings...I guess there were a couple of days where I was not looking....but then I only look for slabbed coins.

Mine prior to it crossing to PCGS at MS65FB
    image >>

Greg, We had a bunch of words and I did file with ebay, but decided to let him use the images if he made it clear it wasn't the coin for sale. He complied, and I dropped the case. It was the same seller for both coins, so I do believe they were both FS-110. He used my image because of the detail which is on his MS66. It just didn't show well in the image.

• sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    the seller sounds like a jerk
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its amazing on those photos exactly how obvious that overdate is.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought one of those photos looked familiar.

I think the 66 would've brought stronger money if the variety were clearer- it almost looks like part of the toning.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its amazing on those photos exactly how obvious that overdate is. >>

I need a lot more convincing that this is really an overdate.
    I am still firmly in the camp that this IS NOT an overdate.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

<< <i>I thought one of those photos looked familiar.

I think the 66 would've brought stronger money if the variety were clearer- it almost looks like part of the toning. >>

Yup, that 66 is terrible...first of all for a 66 and second of all to see the variety...impossible. I just wish mine was an earlier strike like Tony's Genuine example. Oh well.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

I think the 66 would've brought stronger money if the variety were clearer- it almost looks like part of the toning. >>

I was going to bid 1K, but after what he called me I wouldn't bid.

<< <i>

Yup, that 66 is terrible...first of all for a 66 and second of all to see the variety...impossible. I just wish mine was an earlier strike like Tony's Genuine example. Oh well. >>

I updated my image to look like this. If he finds a third coin, he will have to take his own images.

<< <i>

I was going to bid 1K, but after what he called me I wouldn't bid. >>

Good for you for passing on it. Good things come to those that wait. Maybe the mysterious PCGS MS66FB will come to light one day and you can get that one?...or at least fight it out with Larry? image
    For some odd reason he listed it again and it went for $400.00 the second time.

• << <i>I could not see the overdate on his pics only Tony's.

Run away as fast as you can! >>

The NGC66 is the same variety. The markers match up.
    Interestingly. I wound up owning that one anyway, but in an PCGS 66 holder.

• Was this a crossover or did you submit it raw?
  • Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    Is there an overlay photo for this coin? because I an totally missing it.

<< <i>Was this a crossover or did you submit it raw? >>

It was already in a PCGS holder when I bought it. Now it has my pedigree on it. image

<< <i>Is there an overlay photo for this coin? because I an totally missing it. >>

Someone here did overlays, and it looked more like the 2 was from 1928 rather than1929. I had also sent images to CONECA and they were going to try and figure out what it was and it never went anywhere.

Do a search on these board for these coins and you will find the overlays.

• Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    CONECA was supposed to relook over the 1992-P Lincoln Cent known as the "peek-a-boo" because it has a very large extra eyebrow.....waiting over a year to hear about that one.I found 3 of these.

picture here: (Very top one listed)

1992 P Peek-A-Boo
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the magnification on the image? 100x?

I don't see it. image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

<< <i>What's the magnification on the image? 100x?

I don't see it. image >>

I'm not sure how to calculate the magnification, but it can be seen with the naked eye.

As far as not seeing it that doesn't surprize me at all. This is simply the most contraversial variety of any I am aware of.

The possible two can be seen along the bottom of the three with the tip of the three having an angled tip (straight part of the two) angling upward to the rigth. Inside the top loop of the three on the right side the curved part of the two is seen. To some this is just a bunch of die gouges, some others are convinced it is a two. To me it doesn't matter if die gouges or a number 2, as it is one of the coolest varieties out there. I recently sold one on ebay and advertized it the same way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file