Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If PCGS Gets a Submission of 86,000 Raw Morgans...

...does that slow down all other submissions that have already been entered?

Is there any information out yet who this large submitter is? Heritage? Possibly Littleton? Fair is fair. When this dealer checks his submission form on line, how many pages would the final draft be?

Comments

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Wait, they actually got this submission or is this a hypothetical?

-Paul
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS actually has 86,000 Morgans in one bulk grade submisson to grade. Made the front page of the greysheet.
  • Options
    The "TMZ of the coin world" is reporting it as fact.
  • Options
    Got a link?
    I would love to read the details.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...does that slow down all other submissions that have already been entered?

Is there any information out yet who this large submitter is? Heritage? Possibly Littleton? Fair is fair. When this dealer checks his submission form on line, how many pages would the final draft be? >>

I believe that there is a limit on even bulk submissions. At 200 coins per submission, one would need 430 forms. Can you imagine pulling up in a U-Haul on public friday? I'm sure that PCGS would be happy to accomodate you!!image

Keep an eye on the pop reports.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I think bulk takes a back seat to all other submissions?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

<< <i>I believe that there is a limit on even bulk submissions. At 200 coins per submission, one would need 430 forms. Can you imagine pulling up in a U-Haul on public friday? I'm sure that PCGS would be happy to accomodate you!! >>

Dude do the math Bajjjerfan....You submit 86,000 Morgans in one bulk submisson PCGS will throw out the rule book for you.image

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apmex comes to mind. Will all the silver being sent in perhaps it is one of these
    silver/bullion companies.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Crap Batman! More info please.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    If its true, I am glad I do not collect Morgans, someone's pop report is headed for disaster. LOL

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the high price of silver brought out a hoard?image--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what special price they negotiated with PCGS for all those Morgans.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Holy crap. That's crazy!! I'd love to see what kind of cool VAMs and toners are in there!!

-Paul
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If its true, I am glad I do not collect Morgans, someone's pop report is headed for disaster. LOL >>

I would worry more about common date 63-64"s tanking, surprising that the GS bid is still up on these, if there were some rare dates it would prove that the dollars were socked away many moons ago-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    What are the dates?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder what special price they negotiated with PCGS for all those Morgans. >>

I would venture to guess south of $5 a coin.
  • Options
    Sounds like something Home Shopping Network would do.image
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder what special price they negotiated with PCGS for all those Morgans. >>

I would venture to guess south of $5 a coin. >>

Not worth it at that price. They would only make a gross profit of about $1/coin and would probably just break even after expenses

Who is the magazine that printed this? I don't know who "the TMZ of the coin world" is
  • Options
    I would think ~10 a coin
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think they dropped them off and will pick them up to avoid postage fees?
  • Options

<< <i>I would think ~10 a coin >>

I agree. That's a $2 discount.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you think they dropped them off and will pick them up to avoid postage fees? >>

86,000 one ounce coins is 5,375 pounds and silver at ~$40 a ounce ~$3,440,000 melt value. image
  • Options

<< <i>

I agree. That's a $2 discount. >>

$2 discount on 86,000 coins?

I would think the discount would be more than that.

If they were my coins and I couldn't get more than a $2 break, I'm sorry, but I'd tell them to go whistle.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It is true that 86,000 coins were submitted in one bulk deal. Who the submitter is is confidential information.

Bulk grading rates are negotiable and depending on the minimum grade(s) requested the discounts can be substantial. PCGS tends to be more aggressive with discounting bulk rates than NGC is.

For some lower grade minimum coins, PCGS has been known to charge in the area of $4/ coin.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only need one line per date. A 1000 coin bag could be submitted on one line.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldnt it be funny if they are all counterfeits from China?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

If they were my coins and I couldn't get more than a $2 break, I'm sorry, but I'd tell them to go whistle. >>

Then where is the profit? Think of the time the graders would have to spend on these LOW margin coins when they could be doing coins at a $45/coin rate. Would you rather have graders grading $45 coins or $8 coins?

CLCT gross margin is something like 60% see gross margin divide gross profit by total revenue. And that is at an avg coin rate of $15. So that means it costs about $6/coin just to break even. Then you have to worry about warranty costs, etc. I wouldn't do this for less then $10/coin
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    If the coins were graded BU... it would only take about 1 second per coin to look for wear.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If they were my coins and I couldn't get more than a $2 break, I'm sorry, but I'd tell them to go whistle. >>

Then where is the profit? Think of the time the graders would have to spend on these LOW margin coins when they could be doing coins at a $45/coin rate. Would you rather have graders grading $45 coins or $8 coins?

CLCT gross margin is something like 60% see gross margin divide gross profit by total revenue. And that is at an avg coin rate of $15. So that means it costs about $6/coin just to break even. Then you have to worry about warranty costs, etc. I wouldn't do this for less then $10/coin >>

You're not looking at the big picture.

There's 86,000 coins!!

I'm sure the graders can create their own little 'short cuts' in grading these coins to maximize their profit potential.

Think of it...

They're not skipping from a half-dime to a large cent and then to a Morgan dollar.

Many of these dollars can be graded at the same time and personally, I would highly doubt three graders will inspect every coin (just my opinion).

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Then where is the profit? Think of the time the graders would have to spend on these LOW margin coins when they could be doing coins at a $45/coin rate. Would you rather have graders grading $45 coins or $8 coins?

CLCT gross margin is something like 60% see gross margin divide gross profit by total revenue. And that is at an avg coin rate of $15. So that means it costs about $6/coin just to break even. Then you have to worry about warranty costs, etc. I wouldn't do this for less then $10/coin >>

The graders who grade the bulk orders are not the same people who grade "on the line". Bulk is a totally different process. Volume compensates for the low margins.

Don't believe me about the rates? Call Deborah or Miles directly and get a price quote straight from the source.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    what is retail now on PCGS 64 coins?

86K at what 100 a pop- 8.6 mil versus a melt value of 90% of 45.+ in change?

Even IF the deal was to grade this many at 4-5 a coin- the cost factor is 344- 430K- or what could be a net profit of 8.1 mil in a very short time frame

smoebody was hold in flush for this deal folks. 86K in Morgans is not a major haul- but it is going to change those pop reports in the week to come!

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    This is probably why my submission of one coin is late. I guess I see where I rate! image
  • Options
    Someone should print out/save the current Morgan Pop Reports in order to do a comparison in a few weeks etc. It would be ineresting to see what happens.

Who can move 86,000 Morgans in a short period of time? I can only think of the Home Shopping Network right now.
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they get free Blue Boxes? image
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone should print out/save the current Morgan Pop Reports in order to do a comparison in a few weeks etc. It would be ineresting to see what happens.

Who can move 86,000 Morgans in a short period of time? I can only think of the Home Shopping Network right now. >>

Think the price guide might start to show some RED when they are released to the marketplace?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone should print out/save the current Morgan Pop Reports in order to do a comparison in a few weeks etc. It would be ineresting to see what happens.

Who can move 86,000 Morgans in a short period of time? I can only think of the Home Shopping Network right now. >>

Think the price guide might start to show some RED when they are released to the marketplace? >>

Doubt that like hell. Especially if they are being marketed by HSN, which sells slabbed coins at an average markup of 125% of CDN. If anything, bids should get a boost from the sales of these.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...

The graders who grade the bulk orders are not the same people who grade "on the line". Bulk is a totally different process. Volume compensates for the low margins.

... >>

That makes me feel a lot better about submitting circulated Capped Bust Half Dollars.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

Any of the major firms that run national radio ads can move that volume. Listen to AM talk radio and there are a couple of precious metals firms that pay big bucks to advertise. Unfortunately, the dark side of the business, is that those firms will move them at double or triple the GS price to their "select" clients.

As far as pricing and grading, I'm sure that PCGS is calling in their part timers and retraining their part time crew of modern guys to handle the Morgans. A day of training and review and any of the modern guys will be Morgan ready. 86,000 may sound like a lot of coins, but think about all the modern first strike submissions and how many thousands of coins came in quickly in each wave of new releases. Keep in mind that a competent and trained grader can do 200+ coins an hour. Call in the part time crew and that pile of 86,000 coins will be down pretty quick.

• Options
    I hope my coins aren't the ones behind that submission.

And, at the rate silver is going, by the time PCGS is done grading them in a month or two, they could pay off the national debt.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe that there is a limit on even bulk submissions. At 200 coins per submission, one would need 430 forms. Can you imagine pulling up in a U-Haul on public friday? I'm sure that PCGS would be happy to accomodate you!! >>

Dude do the math Bajjjerfan....You submit 86,000 Morgans in one bulk submisson PCGS will throw out the rule book for you.image >>

No doubt they would. I don't think they would put everyone else on hold until they were finished tho. I wonder if they are 86 original bags.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

Maybe that is what got them to up the PCGS price guide as of late? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I doubt they would have their top graders doing these unless there were some high value coins in there too.
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    I heard Bear is helping them out and getting paid in jelly doughnuts!
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I assume these are the end result of the coin show hoarding that's been going on?

Somebody banking on PCGS 63/64 Morgans going up.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think bulk takes a back seat to all other submissions? >>

Bulk is a separate department with different graders. I once had a bulk submission of 120 coins turned around in 5 days.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

I would venture to guess south of $5 a coin. >>

I would venture to guess a base rate of $10.00 per coin as spelled out in the bulk submission guidelines. Higher graded coins such as MS66 and MS67 would get up into the $20 and $30 per coin rates. A certain number may also fall below the minimum acceptable grade as well.
    PCGS does not "negotiate" their professional expertise.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a lot of 93-s's
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

<< <i>It is true that 86,000 coins were submitted in one bulk deal. Who the submitter is is confidential information.

Bulk grading rates are negotiable and depending on the minimum grade(s) requested the discounts can be substantial. PCGS tends to be more aggressive with discounting bulk rates than NGC is.

For some lower grade minimum coins, PCGS has been known to charge in the area of $4/ coin. >>

Seriously?

If they can do that and show a profit then charging $10 for a "reholder" on Attribution of PCGS slabbed coins must really give the CU stock a boost!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a serious note- the fact that 63 and 64 morgans have gone up so much in price is because silver has doubled in price.
    ms63 morgans were $30 only a couple of months ago. ms64's were $46.

Now with silver double the going value of $15-$20 an ounce to $40-$45 an ounce-

ms63 at $60 and 64's at $95 are really nothing to go crazy about.
    and no I dont think the price will drop especially if they were common dates.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    I kinda agree with you Joe.

I mean, it's not like there aren't literally MILLIONS of Morgans left out there to be graded.

The curious thing about this is the virtual SIZE of the submission. Who could have accumulated 86,000 Morgans?
    At $30 apiece its $2.322M and at todays market price thats $3.56M!

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file