Home Sports Talk
Options

Ridiculous game-ending celebrations

halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
Perhaps someone could shed some light on this for me, because I fail to see the logic in it:

I find it amusing and totally ridiculous at these "party-like" celebations in MLB after a walk-off in a regular season game (or any game for that matter).

What I mean are the "celebratory cream pies," the pile-ups, and the ridiculous jubilation as opposed to the contained enthusiasm that a professional athlete should be exhibiting.

There are a lot of logical reasons for this, such as maintaining an even keel. However, the biggest one is injury. Perhaps you would like to ask the Angels how Kendry Morales' stomp on home plate took the wind out of their sales a few years ago. Pile-ups and this kind of stuff serve no purpose.

No one is saying you need to play like the Soviet Red Army team, but it's a 162-game season.

Comments

• Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    I like the celebrations. Baseball needs more emotion. Not a basketball-like cokkiness, but just good clean fun. Yeah, last season's Morales injury was kinda dumb and preventable.... but the fans are happy when their team wins and to see the players having fun just adds to the enjoyment!
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I like celebrations, too. To be honest, and I know this goes against the "purity" of the game, but I like the choreographed stuff a lot. I thought the Brewers thing when Fielder caused an "earthquake" was hilarious, and the Braves scurrying back to their locker room as the HR hitter rounded the bases (unaware there was no one to greet him at home plate) was classic.

The jumping up and down thing is tiresome, though.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no problem with it...it's part of the emotion of the game, and one of the few times these millionaire athletes seem like little leaguers again..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 2 cents...

I find that walk-off wins that result in the celebration at home plate to be phony and ridiculous...as is the never ending high-5s in the dugout when each and EVERY player who gets anything resembling a positive for the team. Now, if we're in a tight WS game or critical playoff game, I'm all for it, but when it is done (by all teams) ad nauseum throughout the season, I just find it a pathetic response. More of an obligatory response as opposed to true emotion and appreciation for the hitter. I wonder how many players have been injured with the homeplate lunacy when a walk off occurs.

Better the players spend a bit more time responding to the crowd, who pay their obscene salaries. How many times have you seen the 3rd out made in the outfield and the player keeps the ball instead of tossing it to the fans? How many times have you watched a pitcher being taken out of the game and the crowd gives him an ovation, and most times a standing ovation and they do nothing to acknowledge the crowd?

I once did witness Jim Leyland walking around the outfield at the old Fulton County stadium (Atlanta), throwing balls to many fans in the outfield...he musth've thrown 20-30 baseballs. The fans were thrilled at his actions.