Home Sports Talk
Options

Predictions for this years QB crop

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
No no, I'm not asking where guys will get drafted, I'm asking to make a call of who will be heroes and who will be zeroes over their CAREER... And yes, I realize alot of that depends on which teams get certain guys.

1) Cam Newton will be a forgotten man in 3 years. I'm not saying he's Jamarcus Russell overrated, I'm just saying he will be a bust. Karma will catch up with this liar at some point.
2) Blaine Gabbert will get drafted too high by a really bad team. This means he may actually see playing time next year. His mediocrity will shine through early.
3) Ryan Mallett. I've been a believer in this guy since he led the come from behind win in Athens. But after seeing his ESPN special with Jon Gruden and actually hearing him have that much difficulty completing a sentence, I'm now a seller. This guy sounds like a gang member when you shove a microphone in front of him. Yeeeaaah boooyyy. I see his career following that of Quincy Carter. And I think Mallett will also have a hard time shaking that drug problem that people don't like talking about. Yeah, I said it.
4) Ricky Stansi. Will get drafted in round 2 or 3 and I think he'll find his way into a starting role within 3-4 years. This guy is a winner and he'll start beating guys out and quickly.
5) Christian Ponder. I think he's the real gem of this class. Potential superstar if drafted by the right team. Leader. The next Matt Ryan. Amazingly, he won't get drafted until late in the 1st. Can make all the throws and yet no one wants to put him at the top of the draft.
6) Jake Locker. Another forgotten man in 5 years. Will be fighting for gigs on ABC doing 2nd tier PAC10 games.
7) Andy Dalton. I actually agree with some pundits who believe the Colts will draft him as the long-term replacement for Manning. Manning will make sure Dalton doesn't see the field (ever) and Dalton will assume the role of career backup. He simply won't be flashy or dominant enough.
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭
    Definitely agree on your 1-3. In my mind, Locker and Dalton are the interesting ones.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, lemme get out a dart board. LOL
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I don't see long careers for any of the QBs drafted this year.....but who knows.....
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Newton will have a real career. Maybe not at QB, but he's too much on an athlete to fade away. Mallett has 0 mobility, but a terrific arm. I'm pulling for him. Of course, if I knew about these things I would be in another line of work.

5) Christian Ponder. I think he's the real gem of this class. Potential superstar if drafted by the right team. Leader. The next Matt Ryan. Amazingly, he won't get drafted until late in the 1st. Can make all the throws and yet no one wants to put him at the top of the draft

You must be an FSU fan. Ponder is more likely to go in the 3rd round than the 1st.
  • Options

<< <i>Newton will have a real career. Maybe not at QB, but he's too much on an athlete to fade away. Mallett has 0 mobility, but a terrific arm. I'm pulling for him. Of course, if I knew about these things I would be in another line of work.

5) Christian Ponder. I think he's the real gem of this class. Potential superstar if drafted by the right team. Leader. The next Matt Ryan. Amazingly, he won't get drafted until late in the 1st. Can make all the throws and yet no one wants to put him at the top of the draft

You must be an FSU fan. Ponder is more likely to go in the 3rd round than the 1st. >>

I'm not an FSU fan at all, but like everyone, I get to see FSU a couple of times a year b/c they get heavy national coverage. Ponder is a game-changer and that ACC contender FSU team was less than mediocre when Ponder got injured and the "highly touted" backup got to play (offense completely sputtered w/o him).
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    I have been impressed by the arm strength of Ryan Mallet. I believe he will be the gem out of this crop.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping Ponder will be "interesting"!
  • Options

<< <i>You must be an FSU fan. Ponder is more likely to go in the 3rd round than the 1st. >>

Good call! image
  • Options
    I think Jake Locker will be the cream of this year's NFL draft. I like his strong work ethic, and if ya compare the top QB's from any era, they always had this one trait in common.

I agree about Cam Newton...he will of course show flashes, but overall I think he will have a lethargic NFL career. If anyone saw that recent QB interview ESPN show with Jon Gruden...Gruden told Newton that he would need to learn the complex NFL offense calls, and Newton got that glazed look in his eye, which I think does not bode well.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I was certainly wrong about Ponder. He went in the middle of the 1st round.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    prediction

I think Jake Locker is the best of the bunch.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>3) Ryan Mallett. I've been a believer in this guy since he led the come from behind win in Athens. But after seeing his ESPN special with Jon Gruden and actually hearing him have that much difficulty completing a sentence, I'm now a seller. This guy sounds like a gang member when you shove a microphone in front of him. Yeeeaaah boooyyy. I see his career following that of Quincy Carter. And I think Mallett will also have a hard time shaking that drug problem that people don't like talking about. Yeah, I said it. >>

People "don't like talking" about Mallet's "drug problem" because there isn't one. He was at a party where people were smoking dope and, when he got busted for public intoxication, the cops could smell it on him. Never had a positive test. Never had even a hint of a problem with it.

It's a non-issue.

His foot speed (or lack thereof) is more of a concern than any drug issues, IMO.

Tabe
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    That drug problem that Warren Sapp had certainly kept him from having much of a career. What were the Bucs thinking when they drafted him?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>That drug problem that Warren Sapp had certainly kept him from having much of a career. What were the Bucs thinking when they drafted him? >>

Apples and oranges analogy...of a defensive tackle who doesn't have a whole lot to think about on the football field other than basically tackling the ball carrier, with a quarterback who has everything to think about.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Locker is the #1 QB IMO. He'll need a year or two with a clipboard, then look out. The guy is a freak.

Cam is the ultimate wild card. Tough call. I'd guess he'll pan out fine.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Watch out for the Niners pick Keopernick whatever....
  • Options

<< <i>I was certainly wrong about Ponder. He went in the middle of the 1st round. >>

Oh yeah...I should have made an offline bet with you on that one.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>3) Ryan Mallett. I've been a believer in this guy since he led the come from behind win in Athens. But after seeing his ESPN special with Jon Gruden and actually hearing him have that much difficulty completing a sentence, I'm now a seller. This guy sounds like a gang member when you shove a microphone in front of him. Yeeeaaah boooyyy. I see his career following that of Quincy Carter. And I think Mallett will also have a hard time shaking that drug problem that people don't like talking about. Yeah, I said it. >>

People "don't like talking" about Mallet's "drug problem" because there isn't one. He was at a party where people were smoking dope and, when he got busted for public intoxication, the cops could smell it on him. Never had a positive test. Never had even a hint of a problem with it.

It's a non-issue.

His foot speed (or lack thereof) is more of a concern than any drug issues, IMO.

Tabe >>

Tabe- I honestly hope your account of Mallet's drug ........interaction is accurate. No one knows for sure what happened, but you can't deny that drug rumors have followed that kid around for quite some time. There is little doubt that Mallet has a much stronger arm than QBs who've already been taken. I don't think foot speed is what kept him off the board in round 1. Its either the drug rumors or the lack of professionalism he displayed during media days etc or both. As a fan of the SEC, I hope he gets it together, lands in a good spot, and has a decent career...and learns how to complete a full sentence.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He ended up with the Patriots and will backup another former Michigan QB with no foot speed and many doubters coming out of college. That guy turned out OK, hoping Mallett does the same image

Tabe