Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NewP Feuchtwanger 3B in hand, new photos and an AMAZING Feuchtwanger Day!

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

So heres a few nice new pics of my new 3B. The reverse shows some planchet lamination and striation issues, but nothing serious. Interesting in that both this coin and the other 3B he had, both showed no evidence of any dentils at ALL on the reverse! One effect seen here is that the OBVERSE dentils are much more struck up than usual. Was Feuchtwanger experimenting?? Possibly trying to upset the rim more on the obverse so that the body of the eagle was no longer the 'high point'? These pieces do not usually stack well because of this, I wonder if the 3Bs would stack......

Another interesting thing Im seeing here is that the 3 obverse usually shows a crumbling of the dentils at about 5PM area as the pairing changes to 3E and 3G. Perhaps the added stress on the obverse die from being paired with this dentil-less B reverse caused the excess die wear at that point? No doubt progressions such as this are what caused Walter Breen to set the B reverse ahead of the C, D, E and G reverses which are ALL paired with the 3 reverse on known specimens.

1837 Feuchtwanger Cent Variety 3B NGC VF25

imageimage

The EZ diagnostic for the B reverse is that the stems of the wreath end in lobster like claws, and there are no mentionable dentils

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i'm more amazed that someone, in this day and time, would open their home up to a stranger if they had a collection as you describe (no offense at all meant, ambro)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report - congrats on making the connection!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup! Sure is the 3-B. Congratulations Ambro.

Tom

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is stories like these that make the hobby so much fun! You walked into a museum of sorts today and had no real expectation of doing so. Really cool story! Congrats on making a great connection, clearly better than just a new purchase you made. I know nothing about these coins but really enjoyed your post because I could feel the passion you have. Amazing. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool story, thanks for sharing - sounds like Ali Baba going into the Cave of Wonders!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sure are making this look easy.........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    its NOT! Thats why I like it. image

(the going gets substantially tougher from here on in....)
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a very cool story. I'll be looking for the gold dollar sequel. image
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratsimage Very neat story and I am glad you were able to "hit it off" with such a fine collector. Over 400 Feuchtwangers in one collection is amazing. Did he say why is he selling them off?
  • Options
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    How is your other great collection, the G$s going? I haven't seen much about them lately.
  • Options
    Well...I had a fling with a new series and the GDs have been "on hold". Ive sold a few of the ones that didnt sticker and really have been rethinking the series and considering focusing JUST on the type 3. They really are my sweethearts of the series, and can be found with greater rarity in nicer conditon than the t2 or t1s.

You know youve got to "keep moving" with coin collecting, at least thats how I see it. SOMETHING has to grow, either the collection, the contacts you make, the knowledge you accumulate....

Theres nothing wrong to change yoiur focus now and then and really concentrate intently on one aspect of coins....and do your very best there. Maybe someday Ill move on...I dont know.

I found myself admiring a Vermont Copper the other day......image
  • Options
    WOW Ambro51 - what a nice 3-B!!! And a nice observations on the coin/token!

Well here is mine (that u already knowimage - but where to post it if not here , lol

Would love to hear - what you pay 4 it (a PM would be appreciated image

Congrats on newp!!!

Rok
  • Options
    Yup the 3B is seldom seen. Yours shows dentils! ...at least a few. Feuchtwanger altered the dies for that reverse, somehow, maybe widened out the dentils overall?

BEWARE though, misattribution continues by NGC, who cannot seem to understand the diagnostics, and as far as I think they are screwing up the pops like crazy. In addition to several wrongly attributed 6Gs which they have slabbed as 3Gs...now on Heritage coming up is a 3E which is wrongly labeled as a 3B. BeWaRe of buying these slabbed...learn to trust the diagnostics and NOT the label.

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1158&lotIdNo=167020#Photo

BTW, I just scored another 3B, not arrived yet....Id been watching that one for 6 days on ebay, and had a big big set...and by golly, it sells for only $46. Sometimes I pay too much, sometimes I get a great deal. It all averages out.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Feuchtwanger Day!!!!!
    Did you all remember to mail your Feuchtwanger Cards?????
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Why no, I didn't remember.....image
    Becky
  • Options

<< <i> BTW, I just scored another 3B, not arrived yet....Id been watching that one for 6 days on ebay, and had a big big set...and by golly, it sells for only $46. Sometimes I pay too much, sometimes I get a great deal. It all averages out. >>

WOW nice...cant wait to see that one....+ what a great price!!!! One must just be patient - and watch those listings constantly-----and you have a good chance to score a nice piece 4 a nice price. If you don't have time to do that - u r out of the gameimage, yup!! image
    + Yes i have seen those wrongly attributed Feuchtwangers - your warning stands completely!!

See ya,
    R.

• Options
    Stacks online auction, bidding ending in a few hours, has a nice VF 3B ex Bowers. At $146 now its anyones guess where it will end. Im not bidding.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file