Home U.S. Coin Forum

Red Book Professional Edition #1 (2009) or #2 (2011)- Difference and the Leather Bound?

Red Book Professional Edition #1 (2009) or #2 (2011)- Any real difference? I can get #1 for about $10 cheaper or was there enough change to justify the extra $10?

Wasn't there a leather bound edition too? What is the story with those?

TN

Comments

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭
    I would spring for the second edition, for the extra $10. In addition to being an update (of valuations, mintages, etc.), it includes a new section on bullion coinage, more photographs, a review of the 2009-2010 rare-coin market, and numerous small improvements in information hierarchy and navigation.

Whitman hasn't issued a leather version of either edition of the Professional Edition.

• Did they issue a leather something redbook?
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

While at the Sacramento ANA, the Whitman table was directly accross from my table.
    I highly recommend the Professional 2nd Edition of the 2011 Red Book. Its spiral bound
    and in a larger page format.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • I have a limited edition 2005 Red Book. It is signed and leather bound.
  • smallchangesmallchange Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    Wizard coin supply has the leather bound book for around 53.00 I believe. I am going to order the 2011 professional edition.

Jim
    Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer
  • I bought a professional edition- 2nd 2011 on ebay last night, looking forward to getting it.

<< <i>Did they issue a leather something redbook? >>

Yes, sorry, I misunderstood and thought you meant a leather-bound Professional Edition.

What you're thinking of is the leather-bound Limited Edition Red Book.

Large-format (6"x9") volume.
    Individually numbered and personally autographed by longtime editor and hobby legend Kenneth Bressett.
    Handsomely constructed with gold-stamped lettering on the cover, gilt-edged pages, and a hubbed spine.

The Limited Edition print run was lowered this year, to 1,000 copies.

• WDHWDH Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    I read that the modern commemorative series is not included in the 2011 Professional Edition. Can anyone confirm that and if so what other series is not included?
    The Professional Edition is not a substitute for the regular-edition Guide Book of United States Coins. It's an advanced companion intended for the intermediate to more experienced collector, investor, dealer, researcher, auction firms, etc.

The regular edition includes information not found in the Professional Edition, including grading instructions and valuations for lower-grade coins, an introductory overview of the history of U.S. coinage, stories of coins from treasures and hoards, and coverage of colonial and early American coins and tokens; private and territorial gold; Hard Times tokens; Civil War tokens; Confederate coins; Hawaiian, Puerto Rican, and Philippine coins; Alaskan tokens; misstrikes and errors; and numismatic books.

The Professional Edition covers all federal U.S. coin series, from copper half cents to gold double eagles, plus classic commemoratives (1892–1954), Proof and Mint sets, and silver, gold, and platinum bullion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file