Home Sports Talk
Options

Baseball attendance so far

Not sure if some of you guys have noticed or not, but baseball attendance has been abysmal... plenty of teams suffering all time lows, and it is happening to clubs that many would not expect.HERE is an article from the USA Today on the matter.

So what do you guys think it is? Economy? Poor weather in some areas? A continuation of the decline in the interest of baseball by the American public? I'm pretty sure it's all 3, but as a passionate fan of the game first and foremost, it is sad to see this happening no matter what the reason is.

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone was watching the Barry Bonds trial instead of going to real baseball games! I'm sure things will be back to normal very shortly!image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    This past week, we had the 2nd and 3rd lowest attended games in MMP history.

I haven't been to a game this year. Personally, I can't justify paying higher prices (tickets, parking, food, beverages) for lesser product, year over year.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering that for the cost of a family of four attending one game, I can have DirecTV's MLB package for the entire season on my big screen TV, I think I'll stay home.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prices...I warned 'em years ago to put a salary cap in place. They wouldn't listen.

Also of course the cost to get to the ballpark...gasoline, etc...combined with the economy.

Big screen TV availability is also a factor...one might say in some ways it's better than being there.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greed is not good when millions of Americans are hurting

The message has been sent

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    A continuation of the decline in the interest of baseball by the American public?

I don't know where you're getting that from...and neither does Rob Neyer

Coming after three straight seasons with small declines in MLB attendance, an increase of three or more percent would represent a huge improvement. But this really shouldn't come as a huge surprise. For all the naysayers and the polls and the ridiculous notion that baseball is somehow dying, the sport is incredibly popular in America. They only way to really hurt the game is to lose a season (or part of a season) to a strike or lockout. And I don't think anyone is that stupid.

Anyway, prior to the economic meltdown, MLB was setting all-time attendance records and even so, it's not like it's a been a sharp decline. MLB drew 73.06 million fans in 2010, down only 0.4% from 2009. The Sports Business Journal is projecting somewhere between 75 million and 78 million, an increase of 3-7% from last year so they have the year end totals in the neighborhood of 74 million. I doubt even MLB is worried about April attendance. Heck no one shows up at White Sox games until June in any year whether they're terrible or a contender.
  • Options
    All the above mentioned ideas are good ones, and I'll add that youth sports has tremondously shifted in America.
    Years ago all we had was riding bikes and baseball (and sometimes wiffle ball). Football and track and field was very low on the food chain.
    Throw in swimming, skiing, and ping pong too.

Now we have way too many sports that are pulling kids interests away from baseball. Lacrosse is really on the up and up with kids.
    Spring soccer and spring ice hockey are cutting into the baseball fandom too. We also have many spring football leagues across the
    country.
  • Options

<< <i>

Big screen TV availability is also a factor...one might say in some ways it's better than being there. >>

If owners were smart, they'd have congress pass a law that all homes have to go back to rabbit ears and tin foil antenna's.
  • Options

<< <i>A continuation of the decline in the interest of baseball by the American public?

I don't know where you're getting that from...and neither does Rob Neyer

Coming after three straight seasons with small declines in MLB attendance, an increase of three or more percent would represent a huge improvement. But this really shouldn't come as a huge surprise. For all the naysayers and the polls and the ridiculous notion that baseball is somehow dying, the sport is incredibly popular in America. They only way to really hurt the game is to lose a season (or part of a season) to a strike or lockout. And I don't think anyone is that stupid.

Anyway, prior to the economic meltdown, MLB was setting all-time attendance records and even so, it's not like it's a been a sharp decline. MLB drew 73.06 million fans in 2010, down only 0.4% from 2009. The Sports Business Journal is projecting somewhere between 75 million and 78 million, an increase of 3-7% from last year so they have the year end totals in the neighborhood of 74 million. I doubt even MLB is worried about April attendance. Heck no one shows up at White Sox games until June in any year whether they're terrible or a contender. >>

I'm not talking about a decline within the past few years, I'm talking about a decline that is occurring over decades.

THIS is what I'm talking about.

From 2000 to 2009, the latest year for which figures are available, the number of kids aged 7 to 17 playing baseball fell 24%, according to the National Sporting Goods Association [NSGA], an industry trade group. Despite growing concerns about the long-term effects of concussions, participation in youth tackle football has soared 21% over the same time span, while ice hockey jumped 38%. The Sporting Goods Manufacturing Association [SGMA], another industry trade group, said baseball participation fell 12.7% for the overall population. "

It is FACT that less kids are interested in/playing baseball and it's been trending that way.
  • Options
    that's great and all, but that has nothing to do with the April attendance that's mentioned in the OP...and just because fewer kids aren't playing, it doesn't mean everyone who is not playing baseball is not watching or interested in the game. A lot of families simply can't afford the sign-up fees. In a lot of regions it costs over $100 ($150 in mine) just to sign up for Little League these days. If you have 3 kids that's $300-450. That's up 75% over the last 15 years. I don't know what the percentage of American hockey ticket buying fans are, but I'm guessing over 90% of the ticket buying NHL fans have never played one game of organized hockey. A friend of mine covers the Predators, and I know at last check they have over 12,000 season ticket holders. How many of them do you think played organized hockey in TN? Probably less than 1%. So maybe in 10 years when those kids that aren't growing up playing baseball are also not buying tickets it will be a factor. Even then it's not going to be some dramatic shift when baseball is still the cheapest to attend on average across the 4 major sports as well as having the summer to themselves. Minor League baseball attendance has also risen over the last 5 years. With the popularity of the game across people of hispanic descent, whose to say that participation in youth baseball won't rise over the next decade or two. You don't know. Everything is cyclical anyway. We're still in the infancy stages of concussion studies. The NFL might not even be around in 10 years, or it could be drastically different ie devoid of a lot of the violence that many of the fans specifically watch the product for. Perhaps when the used car salesman is back home spending his days opening jars in Milwaukee, MLB will bring in someone who actually knows how to market the game and it's stars.
  • Options
    All very good points. I had thought about a few of those myself (I'm a hockey season ticket holder who never played hockey). You always think everyone's arguing with you... relax.

I'm a BASEBALL fan. Fan of the game. High School, College, whatever it is I follow it. I'm not on here bashing it, just posted a story that said baseball attendances are low, wanted to see what people thought were the reasons. I think the economy, weather, AND the slightly declining interest in the game are reasons. And yes, it will get better over the season, but these are record lows that they weren't getting last April, so figured it's something interesting to look at.
  • Options
    I really have no idea what you're talking about. No one was even arguing strenuously about anything. You posed an opinion, and I'm just pointing out simple factors here. No one is trying to crush your vibe. All you need is a cool buzz and some tasty waves and everything will be tip-top.
  • Options

<< <i> No one is trying to crush your vibe. All you need is a cool buzz and some tasty waves and everything will be tip-top. >>

Really??? Didn't realize I changed my name to Spicoli. Great attempt at a personal attack, though. Spoken like someone from the Midwest that has some serious preconceived notions about me. image

And sorry, I guess I mistook your posts as trying to form an argument. Also I never said that anybody was arguing, just that it seemed like you you were thinking that, but I guess I didn't use proper judgement. Once again, sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are several factors leading to the decline in interest and therefore lower attendance, several have already been mentioned. The poor attitude of some of the players and the perception there is a lot of greed doeesn't help, although this perception has been prevelent as long as I can remember. The steroid era certainly didn't help. In the Eastern time zone the games last too late into the night. I believe it was 1971 they went to night games in the World Series which was a great revenue enhancement, however over the years took a toll on the number of youngsters watching until the end of the game. When a kid knows he can't watch the entire game perhaps they lose interest in viewing the first few innings. Many who lost some interest since the preference of MLB to have more night games are now adults with kids of their own and are not promoting baseball to their children. As has been mentioned the view on TV is better than at the ballpark. You do get the excitement of being there in person but you also get the overpriced parking fees, hot dogs and beeer. (When traveling to Alaska 7 years age we happened to stay at a motel in Seattle, I was interested in going to a Mariners game and visiting another stadium. I called and asked about the expense and was told it was $20 to park. Although we could have done it that price turned me off to the experience and we did not go although in hindsight I wish we would have.) I think the biggest problem is that kids are not playing baseball as they once did. When I was a youngster many of us got our ball, bat, and glove and went to the ballfield to find a pick-up game. I don't see that anymore, only organizes games. Kids Soccor has blitzed youth baseball. About a dozen years ago my twin granddaughters were playing soccor at their school. I noticed the ball diamond was grown over and appeared to have no activity. Also in many cities there may be some excitement about the local team at the start of the season but after the first month or so because of Free Agency, the big spenders having the only real shot to be in a pennant race, people lose interest. (Silver lining to this; We attended a Reds-Pirates game in Pittsburgh a couple years ago and the prices were extremely reasonable.) As long as the players are making their exorbitant salaries and owners are making great profit I don't anticipate many changes.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I know that for the last couple of years, I have had trouble getting rid of my weekend Red Sox tickets. 4-5 years ago, I'd send an email, and have 3 responses within 5 minutes to take them off my hands...now I'm emailing people I haven't spoken to in years trying to get rid of them.

As for MLB attendance, blaming the weather is lame...it's miserable the first 2-3 weeks of EVERY baseball season, this year is no different. Economy could have something to do with it, although if that were the case, I would have expected much worse attendance numbers the past 2 years more so than this year, since supposedly the economy is getting better.

It's hard to put a finger on what exactly is the cause. In some order, I'd say rising prices, hi-def TV, and competitive imbalances.
  • Options

<< <i>This past week, we had the 2nd and 3rd lowest attended games in MMP history.

I haven't been to a game this year. Personally, I can't justify paying higher prices (tickets, parking, food, beverages) for lesser product, year over year. >>

Exactly.

Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The prices...I warned 'em years ago to put a salary cap in place. They wouldn't listen.

Also of course the cost to get to the ballpark...gasoline, etc...combined with the economy.

Big screen TV availability is also a factor...one might say in some ways it's better than being there. >>

Shocked they did not listen to you.
  • Options
    Really??? Didn't realize I changed my name to Spicoli. Great attempt at a personal attack, though. Spoken like someone from the Midwest that has some serious preconceived notions about me.

knew you were a surfer and since I'm not, there is no more famous surfer than Spicoli. It was a joke and how is a Spicoli reference a "personal attack" anyway? Relax, and get ready to witness Orpik put Stamkos into the 5th row again.
  • Options
    jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Went to Kauffman today: a sunny, rather cold Saturday day game. There was a good promotion (free uniform-like shirt) they were running and the Royals have been playing good ball, but the stadium was just over half full.

Three hour drive each way ~ $80 in gas/tolls. $10 to park. $40 for tickets (one for me and one for my wife). $20 for food. The whole day was about $150. It'll be a lot more when we have kids.

Still though, an altogether awesome experience... home team won, my wife's first shutout.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I just need to save enough discretionary income.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Went to Kauffman today: a sunny, rather cold Saturday day game. There was a good promotion (free uniform-like shirt) they were running and the Royals have been playing good ball, but the stadium was just over half full.

Three hour drive each way ~ $80 in gas/tolls. $10 to park. $40 for tickets (one for me and one for my wife). $20 for food. The whole day was about $150. It'll be a lot more when we have kids.

Still though, an altogether awesome experience... home team won, my wife's first shutout.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I just need to save enough discretionary income. >>

from a Sox (and Fenway) fan:

ten bucks to park is awesome (especially since the parking is so close!). Tickets at twenty apiece can't be beat.

It is too expensive to get to Fenway for a game for most fans. Thankfully, the Sox games are on TV every time (save for those odd Saturdays when FOX rules shut RSN out of a game).
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    can't speak for everyone but the cold weather keeps me away until later in the year....my daughter is already wanting to go but it's too dang cold......al. Cleveland Indians fans
  • Options
    The weather out in Cali is great. The Midwest sucks as usual for Royals fans.