Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question: "That Cert is not available for display."??

Looking at a group of circ morgans on ebay.
Each on has another number "Gxxxx" under the grade.
When I look up the cert number on ebay, it says "That Cert is not available for display."

Example:

1884 PCGS G04 on ebay.

Any idea's why??

Thanks in advance

David

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    part of a PCGS grading set maybe?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>part of a PCGS grading set maybe? >>

that is a pretty darn good guess. i could not think of a thing except some strange
    pedigree...
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    with the existence of so many fakes out there, I wouldn't touch it without a definitive answer from PCGS
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Might be a pedigree.
    I'd ask PCGS about the number.
    Also might ask the seller what they know.
    Ed
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked up the cert number of a coin returned in a bodybag to me and the cert came up not available for display.
  • Options
    I messaged the seller. Let you know if I get a reply. The Gxxx numbers are all different.
    Was thinking of starting a G4 Morgan set, but don't want coins I can't register.

Thanks

David
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i stand by my answer in thinking they may be part of a grading set.......notice that they are all circulated grades and clean, mark free examples at that.......really nice circ Morgans

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    What does that mean, part of a grading set? Thanks
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What does that mean, part of a grading set? >>

A set with examples of each grade. Sometimes one date or series in every grade.
    Ed
  • Options
    Got a message back from the seller, who says he called PCGS and they said it was a pedegree.

Still not sure, maybe not the right question asked to the right person

Dave
  • Options
    JuanJuan Posts: 71 ✭✭
    I had a coin sent to me from PCGS and the message I rec'd was you can "use this link" to see the grade. Well, I tried and no grade was avaiable for that particular order so I called PCGS and asked them what's up? The answer was coin was counterfeit...
    oklahomakid
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    I saw those Morgans and was wondering the same thing...of all he had listed only one serial # showed a confirmed PCGS coin and it had the G668* as a pedigree on the holder. But the rest should be in the PCGS database as the same.

1882-0

Cert Verification #: 07453256
    PCGS Coin #: 7136
    Date, mintmark: 1882-O
    Denomination: $1
    Variety:
    Minor Variety:
    Mint Error:
    Pedigree: G668*
    Grade: AG03
    Mintage: 6,090,000
    PCGS Price GuideSM Value: $37
    Holder Type: Standard
    Population: 4
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe even a big dealer can get one or more bogus coins?
    I would not bid on a coin that I could not verify.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure they are grading set coins too. I remember seeing part of the PCGS grading set on display at one of the Long Beach shows and they all seemed to have some sort of ID# on them like these numbers as the "pedigree." Not sure why PCGS would give up part of their grading set though???

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump of an old thread.

I saw this today for the first time & was wondering since a definite answer was not in the thread. I'm wondering if they are returned cert numbers from crackouts?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file