Promote the Hobby

Comments

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure where we are going.
    Paul
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if taking the expressway is such a good idea.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would trading silver for gold be smart with the current GSR?
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would trading silver for gold be smart with the current GSR? >>

I'm hedging my bets regarding the GSR.

Currently, I'm split 50/50 with my holdings in Gold and Silver.

That way, either way the GSR goes, I can make the proper conversion to maximize my PM holdings.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20:1 and I'll trade for gold.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    under 35 to 1 nowimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I know that GSR is the gold/silver ratio, but I go back to my first question, where are we going?
    I read in another thread that the historical GSR is 16/1 (thanks Stew). Is this where we are going?
    Paul
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we are going back to the historical 17:1. Fiat currency, for the last few centuries, has moved us far from it and as paper money fails we will get closer and closer back to it. Trading based on GSR is a wasteof time. Each of the two markets, while sharing the same fundamentals, have alternating speculator demand. We are now in a period where even more profits can be made by trading back and forth between gold and silver at the right timing. Of course this gets difficult and expensive with physical PMs. Another advantage of paper.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know that GSR is the gold/silver ratio, but I go back to my first question, where are we going?
    I read in another thread that the historical GSR is 16/1 (thanks Stew). Is this where we are going? >>

Hopefully, back to the basics, But I'd be fine with a 20/1, I'm not greedy.

When houses that are across the street from the apartment I live in are
    Selling, excuse me listed at $400,000 down from $650,000 two years ago
    but in my opinion are worth $200,000 max, theres a problem, when my
    measly savings account 0f about $4000 earns 0.23 Cents each quarter
    theres a problem, when my rent goes up on average of 7% but my pay
    only increases 2% theres a problem, the supermarket the gas station, oh
    I could go on, but as an average guy that feels financialy discrimunated against
    just like Silver over the last 30 years. Silver is my hero, along with 5 billion
    Indians and Chinese.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>under 35 to 1 nowimage >>

Im really amazed at that---27 year low.

Any move to 17 or 20:1 will be extremely short lived and may only occur during a thinly traded market such a "some Sunday night". It will not be a permanent ratio. History has proven so.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>under 35 to 1 nowimage >>

Im really amazed at that---27 year low.

Any move to 17 or 20:1 will be extremely short lived and may only occur during a thinly traded market such a "some Sunday night". It will not be a permanent ratio. History has proven so. >>

Has history not proven the 16:1 ratio? And that the current ratio isn't the norm?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the last 100+ years the ratio has been about 45:1.

Many may think we're headed back to the days of the Wild Wild West, but I highly doubt it. Silver is on a nice run now where buying begets buying. I believe it is still in backwardation which always leads to a parabolic bubble type of move. Can the ratio go to 16:1 again, surely, but if so my contention is that is will last for mere days, if not hours.

Silver is a very thin market and right now we have lots of big boys throwing around massive amounts of money. A bubble is incredibly likely, if not assured.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should end somewhere in the 10-25 range. An overshoot of the 1980 low is possible...just like not reaching it is.

If the big banks are really on the hook for a humongous amount of silver derivatives there's no telling where the GSR could end up.
    Using relationships like amount of contracts and bullion traded on LBMA, Comex, etc, and amount of silver vs gold mined each year,
    a ratio of 8-12 to one makes the most sense. Doing a rough estimate of 2800 tons of gold vs 900 MILL oz of silver per year, the ratio is about
    10-1. Silver is being used up and gold is being accumulated. That tells me that approaching a GSR of 10-1 could be the norm in the future,
    not the exception. There's not unlimited silver to mine like there was 130-3,000 yrs ago. And there was not essentially "unlimited" stockpiles
    of sovereign silver like there was in the 1960's and 70's. It's all gone now. An integral part of the answer is how/when/if the fiat
    currencies get resolved down the road.

With a 10-1 g/s mining ratio, a G/S price ratio of 50-1 to 100-1 as we've seen in the past decade or two is way out of line.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    up to 37 to 1 as I type.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    i think it will settle about 40:1....just a hunch
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions