Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can someone post a photo of the Phoenix Hard Times Token?

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's the token that has a Phoenix bird on it.

I wrote an article about Phoenix buttons some time ago, and noticed how the bird on these buttons is almost identical to the one on the token. I can't imagine that was a coincidence.

Here is the article.

Phoenix Buttons

Please excuse the grammar and spelling mistakes. I was asked to write this with very little time to proof read or edit.
Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Pm Broadstruck, he has some great looking
    ones. I can't seem to find the image of mine for youimage >>

Why do you have an image of Broadstruck?

They're all over the internet (the HTTs). I can copied and paste one if the copyright police don't call foul! image Several have sold on eBay.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pm Broadstruck, he has some great looking
    ones. I can't seem to find the image of mine for youimage >>

Why do you have an image of ?. >>

Because he dressed up like a Phoenix, holding Marty's chickenimage
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's the token that has a Phoenix bird on it.

I wrote an article about Phoenix buttons some time ago, and noticed how the bird on these buttons is almost identical to the one on the token. I can't imagine that was a coincidence.

Here is the article.

Phoenix Buttons

Please excuse the grammar and spelling mistakes. I was asked to write this with very little time to proof read or edit. >>

Since the phoenix is a mythical bird, any representation of it will likely be copied from earlier representations of it. All will be slightly different, but most will have similar formats. Therefore, the resemblance is not only coincidental, it is normal.
    MOO
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pm Broadstruck, he has some great looking ones. >>

OK so I'm a little late...

1837 Shin Plasters HT-56 / Low-45

1837 Shin Plasters HT-57 / Low-46

1837 May Tenth HT-66A Low-47A

1837 J.M.L. & W.H. Scovill Manufacturing, Connecticut, HT-105, R-3

A tougher token from the manufacturer that struck more then 25% of all Hard Times tokens, along with the 1847 Hawaii Cents and the 1860's New Haven Fugio Restrikes. They are still in business today and make most all buttons and clasps for jeans and infant clothing.

The name "Shin Plasters" was applied to bills of irresponsible banks and private parties. The device of the phoenix rising from flames seems to mean that the paper money was only fit to be burned, and that with its destruction new life would spring from its ashes, The date, November, 1837, is that of a convention held in New York on the 27th of that month, by representatives of leading banks in nineteen states to fix a date for resumption. They met again the 16th of April, 1838 and decided to resume specie payments the 10th of May following, which was successfully accomplished after a suspension of exactly one year.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Great examples Broadstruck. Maybe urban folklore but the "Shin Plaster" bills were supposedly used to stuff in ones boots to prevent chaffing of the shin and as a statement of worth, thus the name.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Because he dressed up like a Phoenix, holding Marty's chickenimage >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Because he dressed up like a Phoenix, holding Marty's chickenimage >>

image >>

I just got a visual imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file