Home Sports Talk
Options

Going to my 17th MLB park next week...

Quick poll time.

I'm heading to Kauffman field next week to see the Royals and the Mariners.

How many parks have you been to?

How many are defunct?

What was your favorite (why)?

What was your least favorite?

I'll go first.

3 (Qualcomm, Metrodome, and Candlestick)

Best park is Petco (Target Field is a close second): just a gorgeous field with awesome weather.

Worst park: Oakland coliseum (Metrodome second). Football stadiums just aren't meant for baseball.

Comments

• Options

How many parks have you been to? 10. Turner Field, Tropicana Field, Dolphins Stadium, Petco Park, Dodger Stadium, Citizens Bank Park, plus the defunct stadiums

How many are defunct? 4. Veterans, Yankee, Atlanta Fulton County Stadium, RFK

What was your favorite (why)? Petco Park.

What was your least favorite? Dolphins Stadium

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    17 is impressive, I've only been to a handful......Fenway, Wrigley, Old Yankee Stadium, Shea Stadium, Camden Yards, Skydome, Minute Maid Park (Enron Field when I went).

Fenway and Wrigley are tied at the top for me. There is nothing that compares to the neighborhood vibe you get from those two parks.

Shea Stadium will forever be dead last, no matter how many more parks I am lucky enough to visit. I can't imagine anything being worse than that.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I've been to games in 9. However, I've been to 13 just to "see it".

I think only two are defunct, Arlington Stadium and the Astrodome, however RFK Stadium maybe defunct as well, not sure.

My favorite has been The Ballpark in Arlington. It truly is a great place to spend an entire day at the game and over the years, I've spent a TON of time there.

My least favorite is a tie between Arlington Stadium and Fenway Park. I consider both to be dumps (yes, I'm aware of the so called "legendary" status of Fenway, however I didn't like it and I've been there several times over a number of different years with my old roommate from Notre Dame that was a vendor). Arlington Stadium was not worthy of a major league club, and for years the Rangers didn't play like one. Fenway was annoying with seats that don't angle right toward the field, the incredibly gimmicky Green Monster, and tired facilities and common areas and lack of parking. Loved the Fenway Franks though, LOL. RFK takes a close second as being a dump.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, in the order I remember them:

Candlestick Park
    Royals Stadium (pre-renovation)
    Fenway
    Atlanta Fulton-County Stadium
    Wrigley Field
    Yankee Stadium (old)
    Camden Yard

Wow, only 7. Atlanta Fulton-County was the worst by far. I am sure no one was sorry to see that POS go.

Wrigley is my favorite of these. Nothing better than a weekday day game at Wrigley on a sunny day. Makes those $7 beers taste even better.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Fenway was annoying with seats that don't angle right toward the field, the incredibly gimmicky Green Monster, and tired facilities and common areas and lack of parking.>>>

No doubt, the seats (both small and not angled correctly) and the lack of (and price of) parking are definitely problem areas. But, the facilities have been upgraded through a series of renovations over the last 10 years. And I have to admit that is the first time I've heard the Monster called "gimmicky"... interesting take. I would agree if they had other choices, but due to the neighborhood design, it is necessary to prevent games from becoming HR derby.

My wish list includes Pac Bell (or whatever the Giants call it now), new Yankee Stadium, and Kauffman Stadium (looks cool on TV).
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    My stats.

How many parks have you been to? 14...I will try #15 later this year.

How many are defunct? Old Yankee Stadium, RFK, Metrodome (at least for baseball), and Shea Stadium

What was your favorite (why)? Dodger Stadium. Childhood memories that I will never forget.

What was your least favorite? Shea Stadium.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    How many parks have you been to? 7. Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Shea Stadium, Rogers Centre, Metrodome, Minute Maid Park, Camden Yards

How many are defunct? 1- Shea

What was your favorite (why)? Believe it or Not as a Yankee Fan I have to say Fenway

What was your least favorite? Metrodome (it had no character at all but the tickets were only $8.

I'll go first.

3 (Qualcomm, Metrodome, and Candlestick)

Best park is Petco (Target Field is a close second): just a gorgeous field with awesome weather.

Worst park: Oakland coliseum (Metrodome second). Football stadiums just aren't meant for baseball. >>

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    The last one I went to was Kaufman Stadium to watch the Royals and some other team. So far they are 2-0 in the games I attended. They Royals should give me Season tickets. The most memorable part of the trip was taking a picture of my sons underneath the Brett statue and the kid's race track.