Home Sports Talk
Options

danny weurffel gets a statue?

jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
Apparently UF unveiled a statue of the immortal Danny Weurffel (sp?) at their spring game today. There are LEGENDS in all sports that don't have statues (Bill Russell comes to mind), yet that chump has one?

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    To his admires , he was more than great. I thought he was pretty good , in college.

Reminds me of the Nobel peace prize. To their admires , "our god is getting their due." To the real world---- WTF ?

As far as the statue goes, I'm sure the pigions will love it.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Take the Bill Russell problem up with the city of Boston. It's not like Boston put the statue of Danny up.

And to UF fans, Wuerffel is legend. They care about his play at UF, not the NFL. They had statues for each of the schools Heisman winners, Spurrier, Wuerfel and Tebow.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Take the Bill Russell problem up with the city of Boston. It's not like Boston put the statue of Danny up.

And to UF fans, Wuerffel is legend. They care about his play at UF, not the NFL. They had statues for each of the schools Heisman winners, Spurrier, Wuerfel and Tebow. >>

I was going to say -- if they have Werrffel, then Tebow and Spurrier should have statues. How about Urban Meyer, Billy Donovan, and Joakim Noah?
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Apparently UF unveiled a statue of the immortal Danny Weurffel (sp?) at their spring game today. There are LEGENDS in all sports that don't have statues (Bill Russell comes to mind), yet that chump has one? >>

Weuffel a Chump? Listen, you strike me as a guy who knows Boston sports inside and out. Stick to what you know. For anyone who attended an SEC school during Weurffel's years at Florida, this statue is no surprise. I was at UGA during that run and I hate Florida, but I am also quick to defend Weurffel. Weurffel's time at Florida epitomizes the Spurrier run and Weuffel and his corp of receivers was the high point of the Fun N' Gun. The '96 Weurffel team with Reidell Anthony and Ike Hilliard was perhaps the greatest offense the SEC has seen in my lifetime (with maybe the exception of last year's Auburn team). He is also a example of the right way that an athlethe should use their fame and fortune to improve the world around them. Our church has funded a few projects with him and, if you know that side of him, you'd know that he spends the bulk of his free time helping others. Folks in Gainsvillle know this too. Go to wikipedia and check out Desire Street Ministy.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    my understanding is Florida put up statues to all of their Heisman winners....and he did indeed win one if I'm not mistaken.....it wasn't like they just put up a statue for him. Tebow and Spurrier also got statues so don't understand the beef on this one.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    The guy won a Heisman and a national championship!

And if that wasn't enough: From Wikipedia-
    One highlight of his professional career was winning the MVP award in World Bowl 2000 while playing for Rhein Fire in NFL Europa, the Fire winning by 13–10 over the Scottish Claymores.
    Like David Hasselhoff, Danny Wuerffel is big in Germanyimage

I think the question should be why is there only one statue of Danny Wuerffel?
  • Options
    Here is a pic of the statues I took from a Gator message board. They're bigger than they look too, my buddy that goes to UF said they're life size or larger.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I'll admit I've never lived in the South, but I have a sense of how important college football there. And I understand that in UF lore, Weurffel is fairly important. I'm glad to hear that Weurffel is doing something good for others, it sounds like an outstanding cause, and he should be commended for it.

I guess my larger point has less to do with Weurffel specifically, than it does with society in general. IMO, statues should only be created for war heroes, presidents, and transcendent figures in our society. College athletes, even Tim Tebow, who is arguably the greatest college athlete of the last 25 years if you consider both on- and off- field acheivements, don't deserve statues.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll admit I've never lived in the South, but I have a sense of how important college football there. And I understand that in UF lore, Weurffel is fairly important. I'm glad to hear that Weurffel is doing something good for others, it sounds like an outstanding cause, and he should be commended for it.

I guess my larger point has less to do with Weurffel specifically, than it does with society in general. IMO, statues should only be created for war heroes, presidents, and transcendent figures in our society. College athletes, even Tim Tebow, who is arguably the greatest college athlete of the last 25 years if you consider both on- and off- field acheivements, don't deserve statues. >>

You might have been better off making this your original post instead of what you DID post to start this thread. But that's not what you did. You ripped on Danny Wuerffel as a "chump" when the fact is that he is very rightly a college football legend. UF decided to put up statues to their Heisman winners - and so Wuerffel was included.

Tabe
  • Options
    No doubt Dan is the Man here in Gainesville and surrounding areas. As mcadams pointed out, he is admired as much for his work off the field as on. FYI I was down at The Swamp for the Orange & Blue game this past weekend and was VERY happy to see they included a Bible verse on Tebow's eyeblack. I thought for sure UF would go all "politically correct" and attempt to prevent his statue from being historically accurate.

As far as jdip9's opinion that "statues should only be created for war heroes, presidents, and transcendent figures in our society. College athletes, even Tim Tebow, who is arguably the greatest college athlete of the last 25 years if you consider both on- and off- field achievements, don't deserve statues." that may well be your opinion and certainly you're entitled to it, but these statues were funded by a private gift from an alumnus for this specific purpose. In other words, no University funds were spent on this project. I personally think they're great, especially since after what I saw at The Orange & Blue game this weekend it looks like we might not have a lot to cheer for this upcoming year. Hope I'm wrong, Go Gators!
  • Options
    Calling Danny a chump is a poor choice of words. But in all fairness to the OP, if Danny was reading this, he would smile and forgive you, and then offer to help you or someone you know in need.
  • Options
    I've been following football for quite awhile. I was sick of how good the Florida offense was back then under Spurrier. I was rooting for Florida State to smash him into the ground in the National Championship. You know what happened? FSU smashed him into the ground and Weurffel picked himself up, shook it off and continued to stay in the pocket and deliver TD passes. He's a Heisman trophy winner along with the other two. All well deserved. Just one last thing....it was mentioned that statues should be of only war heroes, presidents and transcedent figures in our society.....

By the definition of transcedent, they meet the criteria.