Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

A Hint of Advice for New Collectors Here..

welcome to the boards..important advice! do not hesitate to ask for legit references and if u plan on sending first..feel free to publicy post requesting them..also i dont think new members should trade w/ other newbies (blind leading the blind). good job for those who found rusnaks id and info image
good luck and good trading!
thx
ed

newbie = some1 who has no trade references..

lets top this everynow and then guyz!

Comments

• Options
    ttt
    I collect all WVU Alumni: Amos Zereoue, Steve Slaton, Pat White, Robert Sands, Rasul Douglas, Avon Cobourne, Quincy Wilson, Owen Schmitt, Will Grier, Gary Jennings, David Sills, Trevon Wesco, Pat McAfee, Darius Stills, Tavon Austin, Geno Smith, Charles Sims, Sam Huff, Chuck Howley, Jerry West (NBA), Jevon Carter (NBA), Miles McBride (NBA), Jedd Gyorko (MLB), Alek Manoah (MLB), John Means (MLB), etc.
  • Options
    I've got better advice for some newbies..Just leave...Don't look back.. How is Newbie defined?.. I kinda consider even folks like Epag a newbie...Thats not an insult your a great trader but only been here a little over a month....It's probably just me been here too long I consider everyone newbies except the originals
    ilya, autobilia,derrick,cardnyou,the crums, top,jsa,mcdee,iversons3balletc. etc. the list used to be alot longer before rude newbies started driving all the good folks out of here...
    My Site Basketball Onlyimage
  • Options
    AI3, thats a pretty a**hole way tp put it. I woud never lump great traders like epag in with those annoying newbies that just cause trouble. And I'm more than willing to welcome in newbies who are looking to make trades and add something positive to the discussion.
    Just because you wish there were still ony 10 people on the boards doesn't give you the right to dog on everyone who has joined recently. I myself joined just a few monthes ago, and I feel like I've brought alot to the forums, and I've got a ton of happy traders to back me up. Yet according to you, I never should ahve been here.
  • Options
    Hello there, yea I was one of the new guys that almost got screwed by rusnaks but I survived. I came on the board to find more traders to deal with, instead, first guy I was dealing with was a fraud. Any suggestions in to what to look for on finding good trading partners? I do have references and have been on ebay for quite some time (swinger8)
    CB4
  • Options
    Maybe it did sound a holeish...As I said I lnow epag is a good trader and did'nt 'lump him in' with those folks...I just wonder how nebie is defined...Someone who has been here just a little over a month is a newbie...Regardless of the 1300 posts or collector status..

I've seen folks come and within one month make 1000 posts and all of a sudden start telling folks who've been here a year or more how to act on the board..In turn the folks who have been here a year orr more and made the board what it is get sick of it and leave...

I was'nt lumping epag into anything,He's ok in my book..I was speaking generally..
  • Options
    vince, I'm sorry to had such a bad experience to start out with. There are PLENTY of great traders and people on this board. Do what I do when I started out: Check the references. Just because someone can list 40 screen names doesn't mean there on the level. When started out, I double checked everyone I traded with by utting up a post asking for references.

if you're careful, this really can be a cool place to trade.

• Options
    See, when I see the word 'newbie' used, I have an immediate bad connotation. When I guy comes on and makes a few great trades immediately, I no longer consider him a 'newbie' - I consider him a part of our community. Being a newbie should be defined by how long you've been here, or how many posts you've made, because anyone can do that. It should go by how many people you've shown that you're an honest and freindly trader.
  • Options
    mcdee2mcdee2 Posts: 1,150
    my 2 pesos regarding newbies.... if they arent willing to send first in their early days here... well then.. I dont bother with them... I was a member here before they switched over to this format.. and shudder to think how many trades I have made here... it has to be in abundance of 300 or so... but thats just a guess... if they agree to send first.. that tells me all I need to know of their character, integrity and their willingness to fit in with what can be a great trade site.. I have dealt with Uwftke and Epag both.. and I believe I was Ryans first... and he offered and did send first.. and since then.. its smooth sailing in our other trades as well... Epag offered to send first but I declined as sent at the same time since some of my trade buddies had dealt with him.. and once again.. no problems at all.. and I am glad I made two new friends.
  • Options
    Thanks uwftke26. I will make sure to look into all the ref's of future trading partners and definatly not ship to P.O Box's.
    CB4
  • Options
    UndertakerUndertaker Posts: 5,200 ✭✭
    this newbie-thing is the same as the rating I get: overseas
    There are maybe 2, 3, 4 overseas collectors on this board, and they all get the label: DON'T TRUST THEM
    I remember when I first got here, Mpower immediately posted something to not deal with me because you can't do anything if I don't send back, I've traded maybe 3 or 4 times on this board, and I have had no problems so far, nor did they
    you just start labeling people by calling them newbies , or foreigners. I mean, I've got some friends on this board, like duncangal, cardnyou, derrick, ...
    all i want to say is.. don't label people.. get to know them first
  • Options
    SlipKnot515SlipKnot515 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭
    well, without newbies...this board wouldn't be what it is today (for better or for worse)...
  • Options
    The number of posts doesn't mean crap and raing on CU IS A JOKE..The trades you have done and how they turned out is everything .I have been on CU for over a year and I sit back alot and just watch thing happen.I have seen over time who to trade with and who not to trade with.

AND FOR THE NEW MEMBERS IF YOU DONT HAVE MANY REF'S YOU WILL HAVE TO SEND FIRST WITH ANYONE THAT HAS BEEN AROUND ON CU.THAT DOESN'T MEAN JUST CU REFS' SOME NEW MEMBER'S ARE GREAT AND A LOT.AND AS FAR AS ANYOTHER TRADING SITE THAT I KNOW OF THAT IS HOW IS GOES.

AND THIS IS MORE OF REMINDER TO ONE NOT ALL THAT HAVE JUST JOINED
    Ref's many

Looking for Marino, Ripken Auto's,Gu & Rc's

• Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    As for myself, I may be what one calls a "newbie", but I have yet to have a bad trade anywhere. On here, I've only completed 4 trades but
    have a few more in the works. On Beckett, I've had about 30 sucessful trades and numerous others on sites where I've traded other things besides card. I have about 60 different references, all positive. So to this site, call me a "newbie" or some crap. But to trading online, not even close.
  • Options
    dont forget we were all newbies at one time
    LOOKING FOR MARINO GAME USED,, , AND AUTO`S
  • Options
    i cant believe i missed this one lol..my definition of a newbie broken down and simple:
    immature traders..childish bickering , always blaming mom, unresolved trades and disputes due to homework and tests.. me... well respected member, 37 year ole collector (i was collecting while comics when some were crawling) with great refs, ALL flawless trades, it dont bother me whoever thinks im a newbie... my standards and character speaks for itself regardless of how many times i poke my head in here

the idea here was to top this not make it a issue..i know how to succesfully trade here and with who..what advice can u give me about online sportscard trading that will make me a veteran like you? get over your senority..your impressinng nobody.
  • Options
    AI3 The Answer,

{Maybe it did sound a holeish...As I said I lnow epag is a good trader and did'nt 'lump him in' with those folks...I just wonder how nebie is defined...Someone who has been here just a little over a month is a newbie...Regardless of the 1300 posts or collector status..

I've seen folks come and within one month make 1000 posts and all of a sudden start telling folks who've been here a year or more how to act on the board..In turn the folks who have been here a year orr more and made the board what it is get sick of it and leave...

I was'nt lumping epag into anything,He's ok in my book..I was speaking generally}

Generally speaking, folks that have been here awhile and are trusted traders, turn their profile on........wheres your's?
  • Options
    A BUM NICKELS WORTH OF ADVICE-CU REFERENCES MEAN EVERYTHING AS FAR TRADING HERE,BOTTOM LINE-NO REFS
    HERE YOU'LL BE ASKED TO SEND 1ST.

AS FAR AS DEFINITION OF "NEWBIE" EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN.I'LL CARRY BIGGJC'S POST A LITTLE FARTHER.I'VE
    ALSO BEEN HERE OVER A YEAR AND THIS IS WHAT I'VE SEEN:

(1) THE # OF POSTS YOU HAVE MEAN NOTHING-THEY'RE ARE SOME PEOPLE HERE WITH 500-1000 POST AND MAYBE 5
    10 TRADES.LOOK AT HOW LONG THEY'VE BEEN A MEMBER.IT'S LISTED UNDER THEIR # OF POSTS.

(2) I'VE ALSO SEEN PEOPLE MAKE A COUPLE OF SMALL ($10-20) TRADES,THEN SCAM SOMEONE OUT OF $100+.
    TRY TO STICK WITH TRADING WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALREADY PAID THEIR DUES AND PROVEN THEMSELVES.

(3) USE COMMON SENSE-IF IT SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE,IT USUALLY IS.

(4) MOST TRADERS WILL HAVE A LIST OF THEIR REFS AT THE BOTTOM OF THEIR POSTS,CHECK THEM.

(5) JUST BE HONEST AND TRUSTWORTHY

(6) THIS IS THE BEST TRADING COMMUNITY AROUND,LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MANNING, GRIESE AND BREES RC'S OR GU.

REFERENCES-TOP OF OHIO,TVOTER,
    BREES9,GETTINOUT,GOYANKS01, AHARES,ICEMAN18,QUASAR31, VIZMOD,FRIEDEL,WHITE TORNADO,
    BOBSTAR,JRCCRUM,AND ABOUT 15 OTHERS

http://communities.msn.com/3DFOOTBALLCARDS
  • Options
    cardnyoucardnyou Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭
    hmmm...well if i listed my refs...they'd be like somes videos...takin up the page lmao...all anyone has to do is ask & in 30 mins i can have em listed ....i think lmao...oh well (can ya hear me now...good)i was on here before the new format.....i hate this one imageimage...but oh well....hell most of the time i send next day...unless it is a REAL newbie...one with 1 post or 2 lol...but thats just me....if i get screwed i get screwed i guess.....lol.....by the way...i lol to damn much image

Tha Finger ... Tha Stunner ... Tha Legend.
  • Options
    Well Ted, now that you mention it..You should know my profile was on for nearly the whole time I was here..That is until recent months when "Newbies" feel it not enough to pm you to death for no reason..But also to email you to death trying to sell you things..Asking if you have this or that etc....There for I did turn off my profile...The way i see it the ones who already know me are most likely the only ones I want to trade with any hoo...And they already know my email and im addy's..So if it spares me from getting 10 unwanted emails a day i'll gladly take whatever medicine comes along with it...

And as far as I can remember I've always gotten along with Ted but now according to his post I'm a dishonest trader for turning off my profile...

Lemme tally up my last few trades on here...I have always sent first or same time on 99.9% of my trades here regardless..I usually insist on sending 1st cause I figure stuff does get lost sometimes or whatever so my rep. is more valuable to me than a card...So that being said click my refs link at the bottom of the page and ask anyone of them..I believe they'll all tell you I insist on sending 1st....

So without further ado of my last few trades on CU which total 6 I have sent my cards on every trade...I have received cards back on 2 of them..And 1 trade dates back to december 31st...So i guess if I sound bitter or cynical regarding the state of CU and it's members I have good reason don't you think?image
  • Options
    And to make this point one more time I WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT EPAG...As I said Repeatedly He is a fine guy and from what I've heard a great trader...This post was directed towards nebies however they are defined so I spoke my 2 cents...
  • Options
    from a hint of advice for new online traders regarding safety from me... to bashing newbies by "seniors"..lol
  • Options
    Yep bashing .I figure if folks can come her and use the board for free to do some of the bs that goes on here..Then I who actually have a little money tied up in this site can come here and bash if I feel the need....

And it's nothing new..I've always said what I think..(I do in real life as well not just the net)...I dont expect anyone to agree with it..I enjoy hereing the other views on matters.. I encourage everyone to speak their mind as well..But popularity and trades be damned I call em' like I see em'..

It's always been that way with me and probably always will..
  • Options
    lol u can search the name: epag64 and find glowing remarks, you can even misspell my name : epage and find i have more postive remarks than even a so-called senior, you would think that as a investor youd expect good nature and welcome for the new traders..good luck to you new traders, you can expect no real help.. its everyman for himself? l
  • Options
    Well I dont know what else to say I'm at a loss..I suppose I dig through the archives and top my glowing feedback (like yours)
    ..It may be old from last year or whatever but i's there...But I guess it would be pointless...Apparantly you set the standard for which we all are to live by..So I'll sit quietly and complain of nothing......And the next time someone pm's asking if something can be done about so and so and their insulting posts I'll ignore and let newbies continue to make racial,child molesting or whatever statements they choose at folks..

• Options
    lol.. sorry that you thought your "special place" was and is invaded by new faces, and u dont have to worry about me pming you regarding racial slander in here..you had me believing you were a moderator here which your not..so you can have your last word after this since the you have a problem with the idea of the original post content..or with me.
  • Options
    LOL, a moderator?? Because I told you how to pm John or carolJ instead of emailing threads to them??..Thats funny..I have no more or less power than anyone else..And ssince you chosse to speak without previous knowledge of the boards goings ons ..You would'nt know that I've made post saying how I LIKE (Most) newbies..How newbies are good for the trading here...You don't know these things because regardless of your number of trades and or posts you have only been here a month,,,Therefore you judge me without even knowing anything about me...The same thing you chosse to berate me for doing in my previous posts..

Glass houses my friend...And I have no clue why you insist on thinking I've made these comments about you or have something personal abgainst you when I've clearly stated otherwise...I hope someday they unlock the board archives so that some of you who really think you know everything about the in/outs and history of this board can see theres a reason why some of the 'longtimers' newer folks seem to have problems with are the way they are...

image God love us all,we're one big happy (if disfunctional) family.
  • Options
    oh when i said mentioned "moderator" this was in regards to you tellin me i have no right "bashing" some1 who is a "veteran" ..basically "moderating" some1 elses business..u a moderator here? no i knew that..just another online trader like the rest of us..young and old..

oh, and you did use my name and said i should leave like the rest..so i did take it personally.

• Options
    8kobe8kobe Posts: 1,159
    AI3 I remember the good old days. When I came here we did alot more trading and alot less stupid people were here. Oh If I were only god it could be the same again.
    Interested in Kobe Bryant, Game Used, Rare Inserts, Rookies, and Autos.
    References: Derrick(3),Teletubbie, MT Grinch, Kenny21, Awaltz, 2323, sypako, hondo, CoryZbinden(2)biggjc, boopopo2, Cardnyou, nismo68, Speedmaster, Baljit and more

Owner of the longest actual word in the "One word Post"
  • Options
    i had cybersex with duncangal last night
    Created On Tuesday April 09, 2002 8:18 AM

JuniorBuggles

Tuesday April 09, 2002 8:18 AM (NEW!)

Indeed Epag...Let's welcome ALL newbies and embrace them with open arms..They do so much good for the board..
  • Options
    lol you know better than that..for every 5 new members your bound to get a bad apple! and the advice i was giving was for the new member who trades..not the lurkers

u goin to lump me or any of the other of the new and good traders in with jrbuggles.. say it
  • Options
    As was I which is why I used words like SOME newbies..But you took and made it seem as though I was talking about ALL..You've just not experianced any of the bad side of the board yet...Wait 2 or 3 more months and we'll see if your singing a different tune....
  • Options
    I've got better advice for some newbies..Just leave...Don't look back.. How is Newbie defined?.. I kinda consider even folks like Epag a newbie...Thats not an insult your a great trader but only been here a little over a month....It's probably just me been here too long I consider everyone newbies except the originals
    ilya, autobilia,derrick,cardnyou,the crums, top,jsa,mcdee,iversons3balletc. etc. the list used to be alot longer before rude newbies started driving all the good folks out of here...

speaks for itself..did u pick my name out of a hat buddy? lol actually your doin me a favor by topping this and whining about the good ole days..oh, and i couldve been here last sept if i wasnt voluteering at ground zero while others were trading cards...
  • Options
    I dunno why you insist on being a dick..But I hate to tell you I can be a bigger one...Did you not read the paragraph you copied and pasted ...It says SOME newbies...And if you read a little further I actually complimented you...

as for your volunteerism..I applaud you..Should we compare stories of heroic endeavors?..I spent quite some time in the military...Should we compare bank accounts?..Penis size? what is ti exactly your looking for...Do you want me too post that your the greateset thing since slice bread?..How we should all conform to be like you for the sake of this board?...I don't get what you want me to say...Do you want me to apologise for complimenting you??..PLMK what your looking for?
  • Options
    haha i knew it! the military rival (non combat im sure)...thats all u had to say..you stooped to the level i imagined you capable of ..so dwell in the presence of newbies..because there comin baby whether u like it or not..and just to show you that im not like you ..i wont respond by cursing you back lol..thx neway for your wasted input on MY post...

eom
  • Options
    I think this is about as clear as you can make for all new traders on this site .This was a great reply and how true it is...........................

lway7fan
    Veteran

Monday April 08, 2002 9:48 PM (NEW!)

A BUM NICKELS WORTH OF ADVICE-CU REFERENCES MEAN EVERYTHING AS FAR TRADING HERE,BOTTOM LINE-NO REFS
    HERE YOU'LL BE ASKED TO SEND 1ST.

AS FAR AS DEFINITION OF "NEWBIE" EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN.I'LL CARRY BIGGJC'S POST A LITTLE FARTHER.I'VE
    ALSO BEEN HERE OVER A YEAR AND THIS IS WHAT I'VE SEEN:

(1) THE # OF POSTS YOU HAVE MEAN NOTHING-THEY'RE ARE SOME PEOPLE HERE WITH 500-1000 POST AND MAYBE 5
    10 TRADES.LOOK AT HOW LONG THEY'VE BEEN A MEMBER.IT'S LISTED UNDER THEIR # OF POSTS.

(2) I'VE ALSO SEEN PEOPLE MAKE A COUPLE OF SMALL ($10-20) TRADES,THEN SCAM SOMEONE OUT OF $100+.
    TRY TO STICK WITH TRADING WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALREADY PAID THEIR DUES AND PROVEN THEMSELVES.

(3) USE COMMON SENSE-IF IT SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE,IT USUALLY IS.

(4) MOST TRADERS WILL HAVE A LIST OF THEIR REFS AT THE BOTTOM OF THEIR POSTS,CHECK THEM.

(5) JUST BE HONEST AND TRUSTWORTHY

(6) THIS IS THE BEST TRADING COMMUNITY AROUND,LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY

Ref's many

Looking for Marino, Ripken Auto's,Gu & Rc's

• Options
    Ok, non combat...I wish...If you'd like I could fed ex you a xerox copy of my DD14..You'd see I spent time in Iraq,Turkey,Afghanistan (Pre Osama) of course,Somalia (not a very nice place to be at the time I was there), Bosnia,..........

I won't bow down and stop responding to your post...I will keep topping it for you so as everyone can see your point your trying to make that your better than me or anyone else...No one else could make trades as good as you..No one else who's ever been in the military could have been in combat situations other than you...Since I don't bow down and agree with you apparently that rewrites my whole life ...I've been living a sham of a life because I could never be as cool as epag64......
  • Options
    And as I've said before and will one last time...I like MOST newbies...Hell I've found and brought newbies here from other boards ask Aircanada how he found CU...But I don't think for a second that we should greet and welcome them all...Especially ones who come here just to rip off or stir trouble....
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Personally, I have had some good trades with people that may be considered "newbies" (whatever the hell that is). I have been on this board for over 7 months and have not had a bad trade. Granted, I've only made
    6 or so, but the people I have dealt with have been fine for the most part. I have had some issues with some
    of the boards "veterans" as far as finishing a trade where they ask for a list, I send it to them with 5 different
    scans as they ask and then they just stop responding. Some have even asked me to hold cards and then they just stop responding even when I PM them... I have only taken these issues to the board once, and that
    was concerning brees9. Aside from that, it's all done through PM's. I've been here for 7 months and have less
    than 200 posts. I respond when I want something and have keep my board comments to a minimum since my
    childish gripe with a member some time back - lol Derrick. I am not here to rip anybody off. As I said in an
    earlier post, I don't recommend high end trades unless they're broken up. I just made one with ahares for
    $70, and that went great. The only reason I sent both cards at once is because we already had one good
    trade recently.
    The board is fun and I enjoy the new voices in here. Sure, there's some daily crap but I've seen it from the new people as well as the old. It's all for $hits and giggles anyways. Happy trading.........
  • Options
    LOL, I knew you were dying for a reason to top this..Had'nt been up all night...I'll keep it topped everyday twice a day for the next month so as everyone can see your mightyness..
  • Options
    (epag looks around) lol..any new members here?