Home Precious Metals

Bullion roll of junk classic half eagles

I have most of my gold bullion in my classic type set, and lately I've decided to pursue another goal. This is to complete a roll of classic "junk" half eagles, and was wondering about thoughts on this. Sure it would be easier just to purchase quarter ounce AGEs or of the such, and probably slightly more liquid that way, but my heart is with classic coins. I like this size, because they are still affordable, fit into a nickel roll, and can be had close to melt(unlike smaller denominations). Also, I have to be more wary of counterfeits, but lower end slabbed coins cost about the same as raw. I am avoiding higher grade stuff, and mostly only put worn, cleaned, ex-jewelry and otherwise "problem child" gold into this roll, because I want to be able to buy them close to melt and handle without worrying about damage. Besides, even problem coins need a home, and melt is melt. :-)

This is a combination of indians and libs. The few indians I have bought lately were ones off of ebay were under $400 were in a details NGC or ANACS slab for one reason or another. Anyways, they fit nicely into a nickel roll right now, and am I correct in assuming that there would be 40 coins in a half eagle roll? I'm at 8 right now(with 2 more on the way), so I still have a long way to go.
All coins kept in safety deposit box.

Comments

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that's a great idea. I'd choose classic gold over eagles any day of the week!
    Keep your slab inserts handy for when you decide to sell, it will bring piece of mind to whomever is purchasing that they are not buying counterfeit.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a "collector" you can now participate in the coin forum and the PM forum. image

Collecting gold makes it more fun than buying gold. Good for you. I tried collecting gold, but learned you can part with it as easily.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• I have been thinkIng about doing this for a while n

Thanks for the inspiration.
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Are $5 Indians same weight as $5 Liberty's?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Keep your slab inserts handy for when you decide to sell, it will bring piece of mind to whomever is purchasing that they are not buying counterfeit. >>

How do they know that a particular insert goes with a particular coin? Are they just supposed to take your word for it?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• This sounds like a fun project and possibly rewarding if the premium on old gold returns.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are $5 Indians same weight as $5 Liberty's? >>

Yes.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do they know that a particular insert goes with a particular coin? Are they just supposed to take your word for it?

Several of the Large Cents that I've bought from Tom Reynolds and Doug Bird had been cracked out and came with the insert stuck into the padded coin envelope. I much prefer having the coins "out" so that I can handle them, and when it comes time to sell them - they are what they are, the coins speak for themselves.

I'm actually thinking of taking my graded Plats out of their slabs and storing them the same way.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Here is a question: I have quite a few MS61 graded liberty eagles, would it make sense to crack them out and later them as a roll as the premium is low?
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think of it as fun and not wisdom.

Liquidity on common circ gold isn't there. If it's in any way to be a "bullion" holding, abandon the idea.

I had a pile in a leather coin wallet but replaced them with sovereigns.

US gold IN the slabs is far to be preferred over a tube of loose coins.

But, as I say, if it's for FUN go for it.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Keep your slab inserts handy for when you decide to sell, it will bring piece of mind to whomever is purchasing that they are not buying counterfeit. >>

How do they know that a particular insert goes with a particular coin? Are they just supposed to take your word for it? >>

Well, sure. I'm inclined to trust people I do business with. (much easier if you're selling face to face) I'd feel better seeing a few slab inserts that match the date & grade of individual pieces to go along with the sale. At the very least it would add a bit of assurance to the purchaser.
    $5 Indians have been heavily conterfeited over the years, no?
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Wow, Topstuf! I LOVE the wallet! image

• << <i>Think of it as fun and not wisdom.

Liquidity on common circ gold isn't there. If it's in any way to be a "bullion" holding, abandon the idea.

I had a pile in a leather coin wallet but replaced them with sovereigns.

US gold IN the slabs is far to be preferred over a tube of loose coins.

But, as I say, if it's for FUN go for it. >>

This would be a GREAT item to use when walking acrossed borders! you should sell these on the BST!
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Thanks for the inputs all! Yes, Meltdown. $5 indians have been counterfeited, and I do keep the inserts, and also detailed photos of the coins before being removed from the slab. Liquidity would be an issue, although re-selling on ebay is quite easy with raw gold if you have solid feedback and great photos. Several of the "cleaned" AU indians are actually quite nice in hand.
  • I wanted to give an update. I am up to 27 half eagles now, so well over half way. The junk prices of these in ebay auctions has REALLY heated up, so I may hold out for a gold cool off period to continue (if that ever happens). It's hard to find anything for under $430 or so right now.

• nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

Very cool!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johnny, those are Beaut-i-fulimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it just way cool to have a stack like that? I recall in the early 1970s my aunt and uncle had a loose leaf binder of the type that we all used in school and in it they had page after page of plastic sheets that each had a gold coin within a mylar 2x2 neatly tucked into every holder in the book. It was amazing.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't it just way cool to have a stack like that? I recall in the early 1970s my aunt and uncle had a loose leaf binder of the type that we all used in school and in it they had page after page of plastic sheets that each had a gold coin within a mylar 2x2 neatly tucked into every holder in the book. It was amazing. >>

I bought a collection that contained a book just like that. I kept it too. Bought that collection of gold coins when gold was in the $500 range which is best of all and makes me giggle when I think about it image
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    great stuff!
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat stack

I bet it has some heft to it and feels awsome to jingle in a leather pouch.